FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
3001 - 3020 of 3047 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,957 Posts
My Electrical issues are non related to changing tyres.
BUT...
The day I put them on, and road tested.. I was blown away with how well it handled...exceeded all expectations..
2 days later, hit the starter..it stuggled to turn ova, then smoke came from front of cowling.
Everything looked ok.. disconnected battery, tightened everything again, hit the starter, and it just buzzed into life... GREAT!!
Took it for a spin to the shops, and it road like I had flat tyres.. it was all ova the place like a drunk snake.
Tyres are fine.
Thort perhaps it was the ABS..but no error codes
Front Disk pads do appear to be dragging harder than I would've expected, when I spin the wheel by hand..Pads are sitting properly, and look fine ??:unsure::confused:
Smoke is definitely not normal. Sounds like something electrical literally burned itself up. You should find out what.
Let's please keep all this together. There is an active thread here -> ABS and Check engine lights

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
779 Posts
Actually yesterday but I decided to put her into her winter storage. A little premature but I haven't been riding as much and looks like the weather is going get lousy so got in a little last ride, about an hour and a half, put in my seafoam, topped off the tank, rode to my brother in law's garage, plugged in the tender and put on the cover. Every year I regret not having a garage of my own so I could get in a ride on those occasionally nice winter days but he's far enough away that it just doesn't seem to work out for me to run over and take the bike out. Can't wait for Spring.
:D

·
Premium Member
2015 FJR-1300ESF
711 Posts
Tried fitting Vstrom handguards. Fit was marginal, at best, on left. Had to shave off plastic so it could go on the handlebar end, and the outer part of handguard is at a weird angle. Right handguard is staying off for now. It would interfere with throttle if I tried to force it on.

Either I have some aftermarket hardware I didn't know about, or these things require more modification to "fit."

Glad we had a spare set of handguards standing by for our Vstrom. I would be annoyed if I had bought an extra set just for this effort.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
I suspect that you need to use the Vstrom style spacers. Not to mention drilling and tapping the stock lever holders

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Bought more reflectors for the front forks. Not sure if the FJR had them from the factory or if they were removed.
Most likely those front reflectors were removed by the PO. They ARE in the way whenever you bleed your front brakes. I just loosen them enough to spin them 90 degrees, then proceed with the brake bleeding process.

YMMV

·
Registered
42 Posts
Took the bike for a spin today around 75 miles to see how much protection I got from the fairings. It was around 39 degree Fahrenheit in the mountain. The only place I got cold was on top of my knee and above it. I did open the cowls and discovered there is a thick piece of foam (gray taped) right inside the fairing where the cowl is located (both side) Is that supposed to be there? I am guessing the last owner put it there to block the heat.
Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
54 Posts
Any damage? Which sliders do you have?
I have no idea what sliders they are as this is a new-to-me bike and they were on there when I got it. I think they did their job very well, she was flat on her side and I was expecting way worse.

I was screwing around in a big parking lot doing slow "practice" (figure 8's etc) Cocky and a bit tired is a s*** combination on a 600+lb cycle. One second I'm in a turn looking over my shoulder, next second I'm sitting next to my bike flat on its side.

As far as damage, my ego took the biggest blow but the mirror, brake pedal, exhaust pipe, and of course the slider were all affected but nothing completely broken.

I took a break and later that afternoon cleared my mind with a beautiful 60 mile run through the winding back roads of North Cackalacky 🤠

After some playful ridiculing, my wife reminded me of why I got this particular model for now instead of a much newer and more expensive model.
Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Rim
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Car
Bumper Flooring Carbon Tints and shades Wood

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have no idea what sliders they are as this is a new-to-me bike and they were on there when I got it. I think they did their job very well, she was flat on her side and I was expecting way worse.

I was screwing around in a big parking lot doing slow "practice" (figure 8's etc) Cocky and a bit tired is a s*** combination on a 600+lb cycle. One second I'm in a turn looking over my shoulder, next second I'm sitting next to my bike flat on its side.

As far as damage, my ego took the biggest blow but the mirror, brake pedal, exhaust pipe, and of course the slider were all affected but nothing completely broken.

I took a break and later that afternoon cleared my mind with a beautiful 60 mile run through the winding back roads of North Cackalacky 🤠

After some playful ridiculing, my wife reminded me of why I got this particular model for now instead of a much newer and more expensive model.
View attachment 89314 View attachment 89315 View attachment 89316
Thanks for the pics. I wasn’t sure how much protection they provided. I am wondering if the t-Rex or the Gaza do a better job protecting the mirror.

I am only 5’9” and 30” inseam so I will put mine to use one of these days.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,152 Posts
the mirror, brake pedal, exhaust pipe, and of course the slider were all affected but nothing completely broken.
James,

Various grades of emery cloth can smooth and polish the hard parts. Touch-up paint is available, unless you can obtain a new mirror.

Smooth out the mirror rash, as well. You only need the part of the mirror above the pivot bolt, but you have to buy the entire mirror assembly for that side. If one or both mirrors are "wobbly" now, chances are that the mirror stay (internal cowling framework) is broken. That part can be repaired or replaced, but the part is expensive (if it will be replaced), and it takes hours of labor, either way. Here's hoping that the mirror stay (mirror mount) is not broken.

I do not have the source for touch-up paint, but somebody here will have that for you.

Fall bars and frame sliders can be the money-saving options in these events. I have both. I dropped mine once, and this combo avoided any damage to the bike. I just painted over the scuff marks on the fall bars.

Reactions: JamesNC

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
54 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I wasn’t sure how much protection they provided. I am wondering if the t-Rex or the Gaza do a better job protecting the mirror.

I am only 5’9” and 30” inseam so I will put mine to use one of these days.
During my search I read someone say "once it starts to fall there's no stopping it" and they weren't kidding. Once it reached that angle, it was down in one second and I had zero time to do anything

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
54 Posts
Fall bars and frame sliders can be the money-saving options in these events. I have both. I dropped mine once, and this combo avoided any damage to the bike. I just painted over the scuff marks on the fall bars.
Bars are now officially on the short list (y)

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
At least the Gen1 & 2 mirror stay was made of steel...... might be slightly tweaked if anything. Gen3 aluminum foil mirror stay would likely be broken.
There are no sliders that will stop rolling over onto the mirrors given a little momentum. Best shot is sliders that stick out further, e.g., the Garauld sliders added to Canyon Cage bars... but given enough momentum, the bike can roll over on those too. Unfortunately, both now are unobtanium.

Might I also suggest FZ1 mirrors, they fold up much closer to the bodywork.... you might get lucky.

3001 - 3020 of 3047 Posts