FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
3021 - 3040 of 3047 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
132 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I wasn’t sure how much protection they provided. I am wondering if the t-Rex or the Gaza do a better job protecting the mirror.

I am only 5’9” and 30” inseam so I will put mine to use one of these days.
I dropped mine the other week. If is weren't for the R gaza engine and side case guards I would have had a broken mirror and a severely scratched/cracked side case. Instead nothing happened to it. Since it was zero speed the guards didn't even get scuffed.

And yes, as noted, once it gets over too much, there is no stopping it. I tried. I have been super conscious of the weight of it (thanks FJR forum!) and went about 13 months before dropping it. They all said it is not a matter of if, but when.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
And there is an EMGO version for considerably less $$ and work just as good IMHO. I've had both.
Yup real ones on my fz1, emgo on the fjr. They are the same.

Reactions: Lil Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
And there is an EMGO version for considerably less $$ and work just as good IMHO. I've had both.
Yup real ones on my fz1, emgo on the fjr. They are the same.
Thanks to you both, I had OEM mirrors in my cart at about $200 whereas the Emgos retail for $30 each. Worth a try just for the ability to fold them tighter to the bodywork vs the OEM FJR mirrors.

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
54 Posts
I think I'll have to do the FZ1 mirrors thing. I've tried to like the OE mirrors, but even with them angled as far outboard as they will go, I'm seeing too much of my own hands/arms.
Yes, those look pretty good. Mine are factory but came with good quality extensions, excellent visibility so i will stick with these.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
2015 FJR-1300ESF
711 Posts
Probably I am having this specific problem because I am using a Helibars riser. Its main purpose is to displace the bars back a bit, so I can sit up straight instead of leaning forward. However, it also elevates the bars some. Enough to put my hands in the view of the OE mirrors.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
Odd that your hands are in the way, should be your shoulders unless you adjust for a very low limited view.
The FJR mirrors with no spacers were a full view of my shoulders, with the spacers it was better, with the FZ1 mirrors they were no longer visible.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Probably I am having this specific problem because I am using a Helibars riser. Its main purpose is to displace the bars back a bit, so I can sit up straight instead of leaning forward. However, it also elevates the bars some. Enough to put my hands in the view of the OE mirrors.
I run the Helibars and have the FZ1 mirrors, bike came with them. Rearward visibility is outstanding.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
574 Posts
Winterized my 2016 ES, which consists of replacing the Touring seat with the stock seat, while also moving the seat to the LOW position. I also moved the vent panels to the "out" position to provide some protection during the cooler months to come. A heck of a lot easier than when I lived in Scandinavia where the bike was put away for 3+ months 😁

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
54 Posts
Inspected the air filter. Super clean, no need to replace.

Was missing a push rivet nearby, one that holds the shroud for the intake snorkel. Replaced that.
Replaced mine on Saturday, it was filthy, very satisfying (y)

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
54 Posts
Replaced my CCT sans dot after lunch before work. Got most of it back together, crossed my fingers, and fired her up. Sounded good to me, runs quiet just as before but I guess will provide a bit more piece of mind. I didn't have time for a test ride or even to get the fairing back together but will do that tomorrow morning.

FWIW:

• Did the CCT with 1/4" drive wobble extension and 8/10mm sockets.
  • Started new CCT bolts the way I do my spark plugs (with a stretch of fuel hose).
  • Did not change oil pump cover gasket as it was not degraded and appeared completely intact.

Not going to celebrate until after that first long, successful test drive but am definitely glad to have it done.

Also, another THANK YOU to all of the folks I harassed on here with questions and doubts I had about this procedure.

·
Premium Member
2015 FJR-1300ESF
711 Posts
Put on some knockoff FZ1 mirrors. They work. I can see better behind, and don't need to see my own arms at all.

They don't fold like the original mirrors, but eh. Also it was $30 for the pair, so not a huge deal if I do break one.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
They don't fold? That is weird, they should.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
2008 Fjr1300
148 Posts
Replaced the CCT and hit the start button......Whew! purrs like a kitten. A very fiddly job, but the old cam chain had a good 1/4 inch of slack in it so pretty sure I was sitting on a time bomb. New CCT tightened that right up so hopefully I will never have to worry about this again. Thanks to Rayzerman and Yamafitter + others for all the advice especially on slotting the heads of the screws....made it so much easier to assemble!

3021 - 3040 of 3047 Posts