FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
Ok just told my tale on the other forum so I apologize if I'm hitting you twice but I haven't been on the forums over a year or more since last July I was diagnosed with the big C so I've been fighting that battle and thank God so far I'm winning. My bike is stored winters in my brother in law's garage but last season I wasn't able to put it on the road. The chemo and radiation treatments left me with Peripheral Neuropathy so I didn't know if I would ever be able to ride again. Acupuncture and physical therapy made some improvements and though I still have numbness and tingling in my hands and feet it's not as intense as at the start so I decided to give it a try so Saturday went over and bled the brakes and took her home. A short ride but the first in a long time. Monday corrected the tire pressures and since I had to jump her to get her home ordered a new battery. Battery arrived today so I popped it in but didn't test ride due to impending storms. Next up is oil and filter change as well as diff fluid. Right now everything is baby steps.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
Thanks guys. Definitely trying to do all the right things. Massage Therapy is part of the physical therapy, probably the best part. Then you think you're out of the woods and you have to worry about Covid. What a year, sheesh!

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
Today got my inspection for this year and took a little shake down ride, about 2 hours first in a long long time. I can't even begin to explain how good it felt after what I've been going through. From here on in I'll never take anything for granted again. :).

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
Ok today, new engine oil, new filter, new diff juice. Got finished just in time to beat the rain. I wish I had a garage. Working in the driveway is a pain in the a$$. :lol.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
Went for another little shake down ride, about an hour and a half (still taking baby steps). Zumo was working fine and paring with the helmet. It was extremely hot. Dash was reading 97 *F and my butt was burning up. When I was done and putting the cover on the bike I noticed I had the heated seat turned on. I must have accidentally hit the switch somewhere along the way. :shock:

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
So today retorqed the steering head bearing and rechecked the tire pressures. Just keep going over things since it's been so long since I paid serious attention to the feej. :)

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
So today retorqed the steering head bearing and rechecked the tire pressures. Just keep going over things since it's been so long since I paid serious attention to the feej. :)
Question. There is a rubber washer in between the two castelated nuts on the steering head. What is the function of this washer and how important is it's placement??

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
The second nut is to be moved to line up with the first one, compressing the rubber washer slightly. Then you put the lock device over both and done. If you crank the second nut too far, it will just squeeze out the rubber and distort it.
That's exactly what I noticed when I was reassembling everything so since I misplaced my FSM I put the nuts together and the washer on top. Can I run this way or do I need to take it all apart again and correct it?

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
So today disassembled and retorqed yet again since previously I fouled up the the placement of the rubber washer re the castelated nuts. Now all is well and I can obsess about something else. Also gave it a bath (it's been awhile). :grin2:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts