FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Put mine back in the shed last Friday. Riding has become excruciatingly painful, but at least I can still walk reasonably well without a cane. Going under the knife 4/4. Looking to get it back out sometime mid May-ish I hope.

These are typically under the skin but mine is deep in the left thigh muscle, pressing on the nerve bundle that runs down the leg so most times it's a deep, dull ache; other times it's a cramp-like feeling, sometimes it feels like a shin splint but mostly it feels like a pulled groin muscle. I'm good for about 4 miles on the bike; at 10 miles I have to park it and my leg is basically useless.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
I'm taking mine off the tender tomorrow.I went under the knife Feb. 27. Dr. says I can increase activity but didn't say what? SOOOOO.... thats all I needed to hear! WOOHOO!! :cool::cool::cool:
Cool beans! The depression is starting to kick in I think as the temps rise and I see more and more bikes out in the afternoons.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Sat down next to my favorite girlfriend and explained to her that my riding days may well be over , She said Her feelings would be hurt but she understands..She also said a trade to a good home for a nice Miata turbo or BMW Z3 would be OK....
Without knowing exactly why I know exactly what you mean. Some days it's nearly impossible for me to get around without a cane. Some days I get little sleep due to the discomfort. Friday is deemed "knife day" but I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea that my riding days may be numbered. A convertible, maybe a ragtop Jeep, has been on my mind and I've been rating them looks/room-wise when I see them. The wife (who hates bikes) has been nothing but supportive and upbeat, and I think she honestly believes everything will be fine in a month or two, but I'm just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Good luck to us!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
I installed a time delay, 80 decibel beeper to the directionals; so that if I forget to turn them off , after 6 flashes of the directional, the beeper starts to sound to remind me.
Dude! What a fabulous idea!! Well done. My bike before this had self canceling signals so it took a little while for me to get used to not having them again.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
I looked at it, still in the shed. Had surgery on a leg 2 days ago, figure it'll be a few weeks before I get it out. Plenty to do tho- with the cold and the bum leg I accomplished absolutely nothing this winter as far as maintenance goes.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Seeing how this was their mistake you would think they would be sending out the correct item as quick as possible. I guess things have changed with customer service over the years.
Just depends, as it has for many yrs, who you do business with and when you do it. Several neenerwebs companies have told me to keep it, sell it, or simply trash it; it's not worth the money sending back and re-stocking. My wife thinks it's crazy but it's situations such as yours that I prefer to pay $5-15 more and deal with a brick & mortar business.

Plus we're quickly moving into "the busy season". It might just be a clever delay tactic they've developed knowing they can't promptly correctly fill your order.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
I looked at it, still in the shed. Had surgery on a leg 2 days ago, figure it'll be a few weeks before I get it out. Plenty to do tho- with the cold and the bum leg I accomplished absolutely nothing this winter as far as maintenance goes.
Got a few things done done- oil & filter, drive gear oil and spark plug replacement. Leg starting aching, it's been a week since this post, so I quit before I overdid it. The mind is willing but....

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
I rode mine. I rode 1 day near the beginning of January but other than that not since late autumn. Leg surgery is healing ok but a little annoying being rubbed by the pants leg. But I got it out and took it for its annual inspection then a little ride around the 35-ish mile block. Felt really good to finally be on it again.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Pulled the rear wheel and cleaned it up. Rotated (in to out, out to in) the rear brake pads and cleaned/lubed caliper. Removed drive punkin, shaft & universal & cleaned/lubed. Then reassembled after cleaning some of the road splooge from inside the swing arm. While I had the left foot peg/side stand assembly loose I went ahead and cleaned/lubed the shifter and stand too.

The one problem I had was that the drive shaft was particularly difficult to remove from the punkin. Splines looks good, still lubed from last year but the seal did not want to turn loose. Other than that all went good.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Can you do a write up and how to do that, and where to get the parts I need to do it with, I can't seem to remember to shut the darn thing off unless Ai look down and see it blinking or someone alerts me to it. I get mad and upset so you would think I would be able to rmember it the next time, but alas I don't.
Coming from a bike that had self canceling signals I too had this problem until I reverted back to "the old days". When I transitioned from the dirt to the street dear ol' Dad said, "turning is two things: turning the bike and turning off your signal. Do them together.". It's one of those things I just do together. Plus over the yrs I developed the habit of repeatedly canceling them just to be sure. I do it just riding down the interstate. Isn't that silly?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Trying to determine if the cost is worth upgrading to K&N air filter.??????
I had one on a Kawasaki. Based on that experience I decided no, it is not. Using either HiFlow, Uni or Emgo air filters, once per year, I figure it'll take at least 5 years to match the cost of a K&N. Then throw in the "special" oil. Then the time of washing/drying/oiling vs. just changing. To me it ain't worth it.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
A little more maintenance then a leisurely ride. Changed the coolant, tightened up some hose clamps, and put the Noalox to the front 7 ground spiders. Everything looked good and it was nice to get out for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
How's your health bouncing back rbent?
Not too bad, 'preciate cha asking.

The leg's a bit achy still but I've been walking and exercising in earnest for a week or so. The incision site is annoying but subsiding. Right now I can ride 40 minutes or so before the need to stop but I'm hoping (expecting!) for that to get better.

I was out early this morning, replaced the clutch and brake fluids, no biggie. As I reported on another forum, "Then another leisurely ride (mostly) for my fave greasy slimy beer-battered deep-fried tater wedges. Man oh man slathered with ketchup and Texas Pete with a cold iced tea, it sure was fine!!! You know those simple times when you think, "D**n! Life is good."? This was one of 'em, except for the chicken manure spread on the fields. Ain't nothin' in this world like a full face helmet filled up with the taste of fresh chicken s**t.....".

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Dove in to investigate why my left mirror vibrates so badly. Turns out it's got no balls! Yep, the 3 little detent metal balls have gone missing. I was able to gingerly tighten it enough against the 8 belleville washers to keep it from rotating too freely but I can't help but think replacing the balls will help. Trouble is I've searched and scoured parts diagrams and can't find a detail of the balls, detent plate or washers/acorn nut. And suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Repaired a plastic post damaged by a dealership yrs ago. Bonehead tech didn't know about the post/rubber grommet on the front of the gas tank trim so he bent the crap out of it and up until this yr it held but finally broke off. I ground down the edges to a vee and super glued it on. Came back later and filled it in with JB Weld. Good as new! And this time when I installed it I dabbed it with a little moly lube paste so it won't stick so bad next time. I still have one more to do- the spring clip holder for the black screw outboard of the digital display. They broke it too.

Just some of the varied reasons for my signature below....

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Last night I mounted a set of Pirelli Angle GT. In the morning will be an oil and filter change then wait paitently until 6-14 when I head out to Johnson City TN for the COG national rally.
Man, I am so glad my buddy and I chose to visit Beckley, WV that weekend. Johnson City was on the short list & that woulda really sucked.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
I know what you mean, it will be crowded in that area for a week. Looks like 500+ will be there.

Come on up and ride the back of the dragon with me. Where you are headed has some great roads too. I go up there in Sept each year.
'Preciate the offer but I'll pass. We're doing an overnighter in Beckley to check out the King Tut Drive-In. AFAIK there's going to be 2 of us but more may latch on at the last minute. In case anyone wants to tag along:

the route to

a couple routes from

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
I decided a couple yrs ago that when I had recreational riding time available with no particular place to go I would visit all 27 of North Carolina's State Parks. Today I was at two more, about 160 miles/4 hrs of leisurely solo riding.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
Reinstalled rear wheel after getting the worn oem 023 (7,500 miles) replaced with a 023GT. Also pulled pumpkin to check driveshaft for proper amount of grease and corrosion.
Did you take an extra few minutes and pull/clean/lube the front universal joint?

1 - 20 of 384 Posts