FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Do you think it will break the 200mph barrier?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not sure

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Kawa is fast mother been timed at 9.7sec and 197bhp! Now thats one quick motorcycle! :eek:
Looks like it will be the first to do 200mph?

But still ugly though :mrgreen:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Got to say I like the look of this bike, especially from the front. I think it will most certainly be capable of 200mph, but will they let it, or restrict it, I personally think 200mph for a road bike is to much, there are not many of us out there who could truly handle a bike of this power on ordinary roads, but will be tempted to try thinking they can... 8)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I must admit I want to try one. Sat on one at the NEC and will probably sit on it again at the Scottish show this weekend.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Looks like there will be a wait of unknown length before we will see the 1400 in Australia. It will be interesting to see what the marketing response will be from the competition. The Hayabusa is well due for an update and I can't see Suzuki giving up the top of the heap willingly. IMHO of all the large capacity chain drives currently on the market the Busa has the edge on the current crop. All it needs now is radial mount brakes with separate piston / pads, ABS maybe, back torque clutch (not currently supplied in Oz) and a rear suspension setup that is easy to adjust.

Lenz

·
Registered
372 Posts
I look at the ZZ1400's ram induction port below the wind screen and wonder how it will be affected performance wise when it is plugged up with bugs in the summer?
As far as the 200pmh barrier goes, it is just another marker in how extreme stockers can get. Manufacturers producing hi-perf machines have already had their power spanked in countries like France, I wonder how long it will be before US and Canada start imposing such tactics. Push the envelope and we shall see.
For me, the FJR gives me all the thrust I lust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What a lot of people forget is that much power costs money.

I had a friend who had the very powerful ZX12R, nice bike but the fuel economy was very :( very poor.

Just think how often do you go above 140mph which is what most bikes can do now.

He has now sold it and purchsed a VFR Vtec.

Alltorque 8)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think when someone brings out a 6 speed shafty that doesn't wheelie as soon as you are two up, then I'll think about it. `Til then the FJR is almost in a class of it's own for mr. ST's and BM's are a bit bigger and less nimble and everything else is more sport orientated and chain drive. eeek!

Previous bike was a ZZR1100. Very nice but it didn't like luggage much. Made the front very light. Can't have it both ways so for now I'm alot happier dragging the FJ down a shitty rally track than a 300kg+ "wing-a-bago" or a rice racer

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
rocketdoc said:
...ram induction port below the wind screen....plugged up with bugs in the summer
Canada must have flies the size of seagulls to plug that hole! :shock: :wink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
It is ugly, it's very small, but would be nice just to have that kinda power to use occasionally, or even just to know its there. I sat on one at the Milan motorcycle show and found the bars to be very low, putting a load of strain on the wrists, much more so than the ZZR1200. I've since heard that particular bike was a pre-production model, so wait to see if anything has changed since november.
A mate is going to test ride one today, so will update with what he thinks later. He is a ZZR1200 rider. Absolutely pissing down with rain here today so doubt if he will be able to use much of the power. Not a nice day for the Scottish motorcycle show, so I think I'll stay home and :ale: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well it wasn't that bad in Edinburgh Malki. I went this morning, £14 to get in couple of hours and I'd seen everything, didn't buy what I wanted as they didn't have them, signed up for a bikesafe day sometime later this year and left my details for a test ride on the new FJR when one of the local dealers gets a demonstrator in. Spent the last hour washing the accumulated mud off the bike as the parking arrangements were that in order to get to and from the hard standing they had put aside for bikes you had to ride across the muddy gravel strewn area they were using for the cars. :? :x

The new rear rack on the FJR is a waste of space. It is solid and no room to get anything between it and the bodywork to strap anything on. It also looks like you would only need to remove one panel now to get to the battery so a little easier. Unfortunately no pics as in the excitement forget to take the camera :oops:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I actually like the look and specs of most of the sport bikes Kawasaki has produced over the last few years - gave some serious thought a few years ago about getting a ZX12R when it first came out.

However, this bike has got to be the ugliest sport bike to hit the market in the last little while. Looks like a spider from the front (not a compliment. Is it fast? No doubt - how could it help but be fast with all that horespower. But the bike does nothing for me in terms of wanting to own one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
@ Ian - Yeh it dried up here not long after I posted, not like today where we have about 6 inches of snow, so you picked the right day to go.

What were you looking for that they didn't have?

I gave up on the the Scottish Motorcycle Show years ago when I realised
(a) it was run by the English.
(b) all the money it raised went to England.
(c) the uneccessary difficult parking arrangements for bikes.
(d) the unecessary queueing and hassle just to get in.
(e) some of the items being sold were actually more expensive at the show than in the shops.
(f) the entrance fee, and, high priced phone number to pre-book tickets.

I would have thought in this day and age, that Scottish dealers would have been able to organise their own show, but it seems not. The failed Glasgow show at the SECC a few years back proved that. More of a market traders day out, selling loads of cheap junk, most of which was not even motorcycle related.
Our bike Club boycotts the Scottish show mainly for the above reasons, we all went to Milan last year for the best show I've ever been to. They know how to organise things in style!
Flew from Glasgow, 2 nights in a city centre hotel, a full day at the show and never quite saw everything, eating out and a few beers for well under £100 in total, so going back this year.

Anyway...rant over and no offence intended to our English brothers, just annoyed we can't do our own thing. :mrgreen:

Peo's description of the FJR in another thread sounds like Yamaha have been listening to the customer, maybe except for the rack.

Did you get to sit on / see the ZZR1400 and what did you think ?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yup we've got it too! Don't think there'll be many bikes going to the show today and the stunt show may be interesting :crylarf: .

Was looking at the new Autocom Super Pro AVi. Unfortunately they didn't have their own stand this year, they just had a corner on the Bikesorce stand so didn't have anything other than the boxed kit. Also didn't help that the guy manning the stand didn't seem to know what he was talking about as their brochure contradicted almost everything he said so I came away without buying.

As for the ZZR I actually like the looks though not sure I could sit all day on one like I can on the FJR. Would still like to test one though just to say I'd done it.

Oh and no offence taken (from one of the English bretherin). :ale: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
200 MPH

The ZZR 1400 won't be the first 200 mph bike - that was done over 2 years ago on a bog-standard Busa by former Streetfighters stunt rider, Davey Coates (a personal Friend!), at Elvington airfield near York (in the UK), in the presence of several hundred people including myself.

Davey was clocked at 206.14mph on his second run!

Regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bog Standard, Did it have all the mirrors and stuff fitted?

·
Registered
52 Posts
200 mph

@ Woody,

The Busa was absolutely "run what you brung". I will say that Davey is only about 10 and a half stone soaking wet and bollocky boo.

Regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
297 Posts
looks the biz from the front and a good pedigree - but still has a chain drive. I would consider one when they get round to putting a shaft drive on it ;)

Just my opinion :ale:

·
Registered
353 Posts
That Kawa is an ugly little piece of s*it, so I couldn't care less if it goes 100 or 200 mph
Well said Kaj I said some while ago , it looks like a CZ or MZ . Some smart arse, did post a picture then, of a modern MZ .....Bloody Hijackers.

I never have been one for , got to have the fastest and biggest.. got FJR as most time have pillion and like to tour a bit as well . Just hop on it ride the 10 15min down to coast , its a real good all rounder to me , with attitude to boot.

Yer Nomad . Have'nt you got enough bikes to be goin on with. Remember you got a wife now un all. Cant have it all ways you know. Err better re phrase that. Other things to spend money on now . New lawn mower , decking ,etc.
Next time your around this way again , you can come and see our garden. Astro turf on the Balcony. Well recomended to any poor bastard, that has a Garden and cant get out on bike, as they got to mow the f*in stuff.
Is this Hijacking?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts