FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Define hard. FJR’s are exciting for most here, so…
It all seems subjective. If you look at tire supplier reviews guys will give a tire 1 star ratings because they are unhappy about the shipping costs.

I'm interested in the tire reviews too, it gets hard to sort through the fluff at times when all I want to know is how many miles a particular tire lasted.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Define hard. FJR’s are exciting for most here, so…
And therein lies the problem with a poll like that. I've heard guys talk about "ripping it up". Only to ride with them and find out they're afraid to lean more than 10 degrees for fear of tipping over.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
You really gone done it @OregonRider…

·
Registered
2014 FJR1300
8 Posts
I hate going through the process again. Traded my VStrom for an FJR1300. I had just figured out which tires I liked best, with the help of forum members such as yourselves.
Reading through these posts. You can get a good idea which selection to make. When you ride, you do go through tires pretty quick (it happens). So based on your riding habits and road conditions. You can narrow the search, after several sets.
Myself, mileage isn’t the biggest concern. Confidence in the next tight turn is.
Took me three sets before I realized the second set was #1, third a real close second. I think I got lucky.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Funny thing about milage - it also depends on if you run them down to the cords or if you replace them way before they get to that point. I'll have to post up a couple pictures of the Conti RA3 that I am pulling off my FZ1 this weekend. In a picture they would look pretty good, the rear is pretty evenly at the wear bars and the front looks pretty good except for all the cupping on the left side that has it down beyond the wear bars in a couple places (traffic circles). They have just about 8K on them, but I'm guessing some of you folks would put another 2-4K on them ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here's some actual data that might help. All of the tire mileages listed are Michelin PR4's except the last one which is Michelin CTs.

12541 ----------------- PR4
15044 ----------------- PR4
14426 ----------------- PR4
13242 ----------------- CT --------------------------- NB: Grandmas on electric bikes ride more aggressively than I do.

I decide to change a tire when the wear bars and the tire's road surface are the same. This happens on the front tire well before it happens on the rear! Frustrating.
I'm switching to the "Dunlop Roadsmart 4"
Is there already a thread where riders post the mileage that they got on tires that they have used? If so, I think that it should be a sticky.

Just bare facts, something like this:

8/12/2015 F/R 8,839 Avon 3D Storm X-M
5/30/2017 F/R 5,605 Avon 3D Storm X-M (changed early, going on a trip)

We don't need to make this a "why that tire?", "you'd be better off with YOKOMAMMA xyx", "how much did you pay?"... comments.
Just basic info.

Humbly submitted, Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Myself, mileage isn’t the biggest concern. Confidence in the next tight turn is.
Totally agree.

12541 ----------------- PR4
15044 ----------------- PR4
14426 ----------------- PR4
13242 ----------------- CT --
Is that miles ? Very impressive...

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Drink

Tire Automotive tire Drink Fluid Cylinder

10,300 KMs out of the first set, and only changed because of non repairable puncture. Though the rear was getting close. This was mainly 2 up fully loaded.

Same fitted again, loving these tyres, Rain, Hail or Shine :D

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
191 Posts
All tire threads end up car tire threads so I ignore them. 😄

• Haha
Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
164 Posts
PR4GTs front an rear not gonna get more than 7k miles accumulated. Always at 40, 42 pressure. I use the whole tire, I lean. Bike is straight, forks aligned. Bike is low mileage now with ~ 13k . ...PR4 what over rated junk for mileage !?! Guess it's Dunlop time

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
Here's my post in another thread from just a moment ago

·
Registered
442 Posts
Purchased my 2016 2nd hand, actually we did a swap. Previous owner had Metzler’s SportTec M3’s mounted and though his paperwork showed the mileage at which he mounted them I’m a bit skeptical of what I got out of them, 12k miles.
Overall opinion is these were great tires for my use and will use them again sometime.

I can upon a deal and replaced them with Pirelli Angel GT’s and they are currently about a 1000 miles past the wear bars at 6700 miles. This is about average from what I’ve noticed from my previous owned FJR’s give or take a few 1000.
These were also exceptional tires and proved well on wet pavement.

I recently bought a Michelin Road 5 rear tire that someone bought but didn’t use, can’t resist a discounted tire, so I’ll be giving them a try.

My riding is usually within the State of TN, bags are mounted but seldom have much in them. I often hit the interstate to a destination of curvy backroads for the day then hightail it back on the interstate. 175# solo rider.
I watch the PSI closely at 39F 40R and recently dropped them down to 38/39 now that I’m on the wear bars.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Considering I live in the USA with crowned roads. Here's an oddity, my rear tire Mich PR4gt is worn more right of center than left of center by a full 1/32". This is what you would expect in the UK not here. Did my "meatball" get cocked a degree during the shaft splines greasing or is this a tire manufacturer error? The tire is coming off soon @7k miles on them................................... Getting RS4's...update it's actually 1/64 or hair over difference but that is still odd and can be seen standing behind the bike.

·
Registered
2014 FJR1300
7 Posts
Is there already a thread where riders post the mileage that they got on tires that they have used? If so, I think that it should be a sticky.

Just bare facts, something like this:

8/12/2015 F/R 8,839 Avon 3D Storm X-M
5/30/2017 F/R 5,605 Avon 3D Storm X-M (changed early, going on a trip)

We don't need to make this a "why that tire?", "you'd be better off with YOKOMAMMA xyx", "how much did you pay?"... comments.
Just basic info.

Humbly submitted, Brian
I’m game. While the numbers may not be definitive, trend data can be both interesting and useful. On that note:

Tires

01/01/2018 9,632 Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT
09/06/2019 9,167 Pirelli Angel GT
06/06/2022 12,610. Dunlop Road Smart 3 (front)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts