FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 FJR1300 A
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there already a thread where riders post the mileage that they got on tires that they have used? If so, I think that it should be a sticky.

Just bare facts, something like this:

8/12/2015 F/R 8,839 Avon 3D Storm X-M
5/30/2017 F/R 5,605 Avon 3D Storm X-M (changed early, going on a trip)

We don't need to make this a "why that tire?", "you'd be better off with YOKOMAMMA xyx", "how much did you pay?"... comments.
Just basic info.

Humbly submitted, Brian

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
The problem is tire life varies wildly depending on riding style and the type of road surface making anyone else’s mileage pretty much useless data. Also, there is no way to stop a tire thread from devolving into the normal tire debates. We just like talking about tires too much. 😁

·
Registered
877 Posts
Your “Is there a thread about tires and mileage” question had me laughing. Yeah buddy, there’s about 1000😆

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
It's right up there with oil threads. LOL

Reactions: FastPappy

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
680 Posts
While I'm usually a " great, not ANOTHER tire thread" guy, in this case sorta makes sense. If becomes a sticky and doesn't get too far into the bushes.
Kinda like OR started, Brand of tires, mileage and / or time on that set ( or single if staggered swap ) and type of riding.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Somebody else made this suggestion a couple of weeks ago. But the info they wanted included was subjective. Like "Are you a hard rider?". I suggested to note only facts like tire tread depth and depth every 1000 miles or so. Real tangible data.

Besides, if you put together a thread like that it's going to get sidetracked sooner or later or nobody will stay in a prescribed format. Just my engineering viewpoint.

Reactions: Rumblestrip

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
It’s not a bad idea but difficult to implement in a public forum like this. Really somebody would have to spend the time to set up, maintain, and moderate a shared Google spreadsheet with strict data points so you could actually do something useful with the data. Tons of posts in a long running thread is just about impossible to parse.

·
Registered
393 Posts
12 replies and no one has actually answered the question, why not just answer the question ?
Dunlop Roadsmart 3 front and rear wear about the same 12000 miles and probably 14000 possible.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
680 Posts
12 replies and no one has actually answered the question, why not just answer the question ?
Dunlop Roadsmart 3 front and rear wear about the same 12000 miles and probably 14000 possible.
You mean the question the OP asked if there was a thread already where folks post the mileage of tires they used with "just bare facts" ?
Then he asked to delete the thread, as tires and mileage is covered many times in many other threads.

And as predicted by others, it's already off course with words like "probably" and "possible".

·
Registered
155 Posts
As mentioned in the 2nd post by that fart smeller, Aroxx, one man's 12,000 miles on tire A, is another man's 6,000 miles on tire A. There is no way to objectively compare them.

Tires are consumable, and manufacturer's change them all the time. Go out and try a bunch of them and develop your own personal database.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
The question the OP asked is why don't we have a sticky about tires. Not what tires are best/longest wearing. He can find 100 tire threads about that using the search button. Half of your posts extoll the virtues of the Roadsmart 3. ;)

Do we really need another repetitive thread?

Reactions: Rumblestrip

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
The question the OP asked is why don't we have a sticky about tires.
Um, we DO have a stickied thread for tires. In the Parts & Servicing section. If that's too complicated for folks, follow this link -> Tire Help Please

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
685 Posts
The question the OP asked is why don't we have a sticky about tires. Not what tires are best/longest wearing. He can find 100 tire threads about that using the search button. Half of your posts extoll the virtues of the Roadsmart 3. ;)

Do we really need another repetitive one?
Yeah we need to know who makes the stickiest tires. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Can you imagine 1 tire thread or 1 oil thread. There would be so many duplicate posts because after page 92 guys would stop reading and go straight to posting. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: FastPappy

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
685 Posts
Believe it or not I actually do like the tire threads. I like to hear people's opinions and impressions. Maybe I'm just weird. Oil you got Dino or Synth, a couple different weights and a couple brand preferences but TIRES there's a whole universe out there. Rider style, road surface, millage, grip, GT, A spec, mix and match, the possibilities are endless and then there's the Darkside. ROTFLMAO. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts