FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Choices, choices. Sending my wife on a yoga retreat while next Friday I am taking off around 2pm on the fjr to go somewhere until Sunday evening. I've been putting off deciding since oct in MN can be unpredictable. Current thoughts are Michigan UP, run the river down into Illinois somewhere or a tour of northern MN. Staying in MN is dicey since it is mea weekend so everyone is on vacation - not a lot of lodging.

Don't necessarily need to see anything exciting as long as there is some decent food at some point. Have also considered just running slab all night and doing an IB 1000.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Head over to SW Wisconsin ride the “alphabet” roads between Lacrosse and Prairie Du Chein then head down to Potosi Wi (cool brewery) then take the Cassville ferry across the river and work your way back up the river through NE Iowa (check out Pikes Peak state park) or you could continue down the east side of the river to Galena, IL and then cross at Dubuque IA and head north

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice. Never heard of that ferry but one plan was going down the alphabets and to the quad cities where there is a koa with the garden sheds I like staying in. The idea of a peak in IA is interesting.

Edit looks like the pikes peak park is pretty much shut down for renovations.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just spent 2 days noodling around Iowa last week on the 890 and NE Iowa was great riding.

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
Get a paper map and sharpie and a piece of string.

Cut the string to a given length based on the map key. Make it equal to 1000 miles. No put 1 end of the string where you are and use the sharpie at the other end to draw a circle. Anywhere in the circle is a day out and a day back with a half a day for down time.

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
161 Posts
Oldjeep - can't suggest anywhere but your free time sounds great! Have fun and be safe!

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I think I have the start of a plan.
I've got a KOA garden shed reserved for 2 nights in the quad cities.
If I take off after work on the most direct route I can get there friday night at a reasonable time (5-6 hours slab riding mostly through Iowa).
Will use Saturday for a southerly down and back along the river - maybe to Hannibal , come back on opposite side of river - back to the quad cities.
Sunday I'll take the WI side river roads back north to home.

Hope it doesn't rain ;)

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
875 Posts
Could you blaze out to Rapid City and back, in that time frame? I am in Texas, so I could ride 12 hours and still be in Texas...

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you blaze out to Rapid City and back, in that time frame? I am in Texas, so I could ride 12 hours and still be in Texas...
Sure, no problem but I took that trip to Sturgis in May

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
875 Posts
Ah, so you did... Well,darn. But you all Do have so much good riding with your mountains and such! LOL

I might like to see you tour the UP of Michigan and take some pics! I hear it is nice.

I had never heard of the "Quad Cities!" Sounds fun!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Snow in western South Dakota…the weather in the U.P. could be sketchy this time of year. I think you made a good choice of heading south. Enjoy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I been down the river road to Dubuque & back alot. A few weeks back i did a 4 day camping trip wandering around the driftless area In Wi. I always wondered where those roads went , now i know. Cant wait to do that again. Hopefully this year yet. Motel 6 in Prairie Duchene Is just remodeled & cheap. I spent 1 night at Pikes peak, it was open then, but the bugs were kinda nasty. We started going that direction yrs ago cuz the bugs were never to bad, but this time they were. A few cold nights will knock them out tho.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
72 Posts
Nice. Never heard of that ferry but one plan was going down the alphabets and to the quad cities where there is a koa with the garden sheds I like staying in. The idea of a peak in IA is interesting.

Edit looks like the pikes peak park is pretty much shut down for renovations.
I stopped at PP on my way home a few weeks ago. (Pic below)

We stay in Richland Center Wisconsin. That town is surrounded by AWESOME twisty/hilly roads! I head down 2-3 times a year.
Cloud Sky Water Water resources Natural environment

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300
41 Posts
If it were me, I'd head to Nevada MO for a late lunch. It's a bit over 500 Miles from Minneapolis, do a one day round trip on some lightly travelled interstates and you'll earn your Ironbutt certificate and get a nice license plate frame.

Gladstone, ND would work also. Not sure about the lunch situation there.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I think I'll save that for sometime I am just trying to get somewhere - like Florida.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
32 Posts
I'm in Rice Lake, WI (an hour east of the Cities) and took this trip about a month ago. It was a great time on some fun roads. I looked up the best motorcycle roads in Wisconsin and then tried to hit as many as I could along my general circle of the state. The only change would be Day 3, when I spent 20 miles on gravel before heading back north to Hwy 70.

Relive '2021 Trip Day 1'

Relive '2021 Trip Day 2'

Relive '2021 Trip Day 3'

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
72 Posts
This is one of our routes a few weeks ago. Borrowed the link from a friend.

Reactions: ysoslo
1 - 20 of 21 Posts