FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with identifying the year of this bike...Sold to me as an 03 FJR however it seems to have a few details that say 'I'm an 04'. The turn signals are integrated, includes the left side glove compartment, has the larger rotors. I'm not too clear on the color differences between years but it is a bluish gray. The vin tag has a header stating '6-03'. Is it an early version of the 04 but built in 03? Any help would be appreciated. I'll upload pics if I need to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Look at the vin # on the steering neck. Start at the last number of the vin and count backwards 8 characters. The 8th number/letter is the year of the bike. It will be a 4 if it is 04. It will be a 3 if it is an 03. The panels could have been switched out or something but the vin is the deciding factor. This is the same coding system used on cars.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
The confusion can possibly arise because what was called an '04 in the 'states is an '03 in the rest of the world, etc. Also, for reasons I don't understand, bikes delivered from July '03 through to Dec '03 in the 'states are called '04 models (even though they were obviously built in '03).

Got that all understood? No, me neither :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The serial number confirms an '04. Also, just installed the foil faced bubble wrap under tank and seat, took about 20 minutes and annoying inseam heat is gone...thanks for the tips.

·
Super Moderator
3,980 Posts
Good points. While mine is an '03 (US) the build date on the ID tag shows '02 (and I took delivery in October 2002). It's the straight silver (not bluish silver).

However I have some '04 lowers (integrated signals) and will be using those when I repaint it (red, anyone?). So color and lower fairings don't tell the whole story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts