FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a trunk, some people told me that Yamaha have a problem with his trunk, sometimes it felt of the bike :eek:

Need your inout on this, should I go with the Givi instead ?

Thanks for your help !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
Pierre, I have a GIVI Maxia E52 (52 litre), and the reasons I chose it are:
It takes 2 full-face helmets (Yamaha takes 1 only), and we often travel 2-up
It was less expensive
It is an easy clip-off, clip-on when I ride solo and want no bags, no top box
I had an adapter plate made that just fits in place of the GIVI baseplate, so I can fit various sizes of soft bags if I want to
Zea has really gotten familiar with the GIVI handholds (not that she holds all that often) and likes the position, but I suspect that this could be un-learned very quickly.

I know some people have lost a rubber spacer? with the original Yamaha trunk, so if you do decide to go that way, pay attention to that item.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Pierre

Ths was covered on a previous thread, but 3 of us all have the box on page 83 of the 2005 Yamaha catalogue.

Its advertised for the maxi scooter and comes colour matched if you want it--in our case it's galaxy blue.

Price is right and it hold 2 fullface helmets.



Teejay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
@ Pierre - I had the Givi E52 with backrest fitted on my FJR1300 all the time I had it, never a problem.
It's easily removed and stayed on my bike even at 148 mph when I forgot about the thing, so after that, I never worried about it :mrgreen:

http://www.rampantmcc.co.uk/runs/aberdeen_invasion_2005/images/DSCF1943.JPG

Easily fixed with the cheapest standard Givi rack that clamps onto the standard Yamaha rack. 10 countries two up, 2 years and never even came close to coming slack, so no worries.
It holds so much stuff that you really need to think about what you are putting in it, to keep the weight even. I can confirm it will take two full face helmets and a jacket, tyre pump, and loads of other stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Pierre; I've talked with about 20 or more people at the last couple of bike shows here in TO...& they are all saying for the dough.... they all recommend the 52 liter givi over the Yamaha trunk especially for the carrying capacity...I'm planning on buying one before I go to the WFO meet in July...if want pricing let me know....you never know....Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike-H said:
Pierre; I've talked with about 20 or more people at the last couple of bike shows here in TO...& they are all saying for the dough.... they all recommend the 52 liter givi over the Yamaha trunk especially for the carrying capacity...I'm planning on buying one before I go to the WFO meet in July...if want pricing let me know....you never know....Mike
Thanks all for the infos.

Yes Mike plese let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
teejay said:
Pierre

Ths was covered on a previous thread, but 3 of us all have the box on page 83 of the 2005 Yamaha catalogue.

Its advertised for the maxi scooter and comes colour matched if you want it--in our case it's galaxy blue.

Price is right and it hold 2 fullface helmets.

Teejay
Teejay,

How about keys/lock, can that one be operated with ignition key, or do you have to use 2 diff. keys? Qualitywise, how is it compared e.g. to Givi V46?

Kaj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Kaj

Quality is fine in fact I think they are made by Givi anyway just come in a Yamaha box.

The key is seperate to the ignition a red key identical to the Givi ky that I had on a previous Givi box. You need to buy the mounting plate seperate that clamps onto the original rack.

Teejay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Teejay,

Sorry I keep on asking...because I've got no experiences and still waiting my -06 to arrive...

1. I had Triumph Sprint ST 1050 last year, together with bike I received 3 locks which I installed to my 3 Triumph's panniers. So all I needed was one key for ignition and for all 3 cases... With FJR there is no extra lock for top case?

2. If there is an extra lock, can't it be installed to any other case than Yam's top case?

3. Worst case scenario: I buy Yam's own top case (and pay 3 times more than for Givi), and only benefit for me is...1 key solution or, uhh...is there even that benefit? What other benefits there might be for me to buy that bloody expensive and small top case from Yam's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Kaj said:
Teejay,

Sorry I keep on asking...because I've got no experiences and still waiting my -06 to arrive...

1. I had Triumph Sprint ST 1050 last year, together with bike I received 3 locks which I installed to my 3 Triumph's panniers. So all I needed was one key for ignition and for all 3 cases... With FJR there is no extra lock for top case?

2. If there is an extra lock, can't it be installed to any other case than Yam's top case?

3. Worst case scenario: I buy Yam's own top case (and pay 3 times more than for Givi), and only benefit for me is...1 key solution or, uhh...is there even that benefit? What other benefits there might be for me to buy that bloody expensive and small top case from Yam's?
The FJR comes with 3 locks.
The third lock is for de stock FJR topcase and will not fit Givi or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Kaj

To have an extra key to use is not a problem compared to the price of the specific FJR box which I personally think is ugly and ridiculously expensive-- but its all down to personal choice.

The one I have is £104.99 colour matched to £339.99 for the one marked FJR, I can put up with an extra key for that!!!!

Teejay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I don't think that the 06 bike has the same rear rack as the 05, so the givi flat plate that is needed to fit the case that TJ refs to may not fit the new bike, worth checking before you order. I have the same box as TJ fitted and have no complaints. I would replace it with the same should I have to. It was easy to fit and cheaper than the FJR box by about a third, the build quality may not be as good but is ok for the money. But I do have the feeling as said the rear rack has been changed on the 06 bike,. Come on you with the new bikes has it changed ? or am I dreaming. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
You could consider the Nonfango TTE (Tuttotereno) www.nonfango.com. With a spacious 54 litres, you can sleep in it. Put the bike on the centre stand and chock the rear wheel so that the bike doesn't rock. Oh, and make sure that the lid doesn't lock shut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
The new rack looks worse than useless. There's nowhere to actually attach anything to it. Will be taking a closer look at the Scottish show this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
teejay said:
Kaj

Quality is fine in fact I think they are made by Givi anyway just come in a Yamaha box.

The key is seperate to the ignition a red key identical to the Givi ky that I had on a previous Givi box. You need to buy the mounting plate seperate that clamps onto the original rack.

Teejay
TJ, is that a Givi mounting plate or a Yamaha plate?
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
The standard Givi Rack would never fit the rack in the photo posted by Rabbit, so presumably Givi have thought up something else!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Yam. top case

Hi Pierre! (Bonjour d'un voisin de Laval!). I have an 05 FJR and was bought with the Yam top case. At the time, I was green as hell on the subject and didn't know where to find the info. :oops:
After one season, must admit it works very well. A friend of mine has a givi mounted on an ST1300 and was able to notice that the Yam case seems a bit higher than Givi. The wife prefers having a higher point of rest for the back.
However, the price tag must be thought of.
Hope that your info about top case falling off is wrong because the only time I use it is with the wife!! And still care a lot about both of them. :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top