FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the Yamaha top box, backrest pad, and mounting plate today that the dealer assured me was for the '06. The holes in the mounting plate do line up with the holes in the luggage rack. The mounting plate comes with 3 longer allen head bolts and 2 spacers. The spacers are about twice too long. Not having any experience with the FJR, I am not sure how much to cut the spacers off. Are the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the mounting plate supposed to rest on the luggage rack or are the spacers supposed to keep the mounting plate from touching the luggage rack?

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rear luggage Plate

I think this is where you start drilling big holes in the plastic under the rack. :shock: The spacers fill the gap between the plate and the rear subframe :eek:
Regards
Esme

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If it's the same as the earlier models then there are two extra bolt holes in the sub frame for those fittings to go in. as Esmerelda says, looks like it's time to drill some holes in the plastic.
Didn't they supply any instructions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong hardware I think?

The rear trunk attachment kit is now listed on the Yamaha website for the '06. The part numbers match that listed for the '06 for my trunk and backrest pad. The part number of the rear trunk attachment kit sent to me is the same as the '05 attachment kit on the Yamaha website. What doesn't make sense though is that the picture on Yamaha's website of the '05 attachment kit only shows 1 hole where mine has 3 that match the 3 bolts. The instructions describe drilling holes, but I am sure that the '06 does not require this. I think I have the correct mounting plate but the wrong hardware. I will try to find out through the dealer that I purchased the trunk and associated parts from on Monday.

There is a discussion of how another '06 owner cut the spacers and used different length bolts to fit his '06 on FJR Forum.

Same old crap you go through when you buy the first year for anything.

too_many_hobbies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts