FJR Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Looks like my son's toy with the double A batteries exposed.

· Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,180 Posts
Have NO need for the trick "stand up and follow me" crap. Give me a simple machine that I can afford. I would want metal covers over those batteries to help prevent outside mischief or theft, ventilated as necessary. If that seat includes some kind of "swing arm" suspension in addition to what the rear wheel has, that would be fine too. The designers lost their vision; I hope they get it back.

· Registered
557 Posts
Have NO need for the trick "stand up and follow me" crap. Give me a simple machine that I can afford. I would want metal covers over those batteries to help prevent outside mischief or theft, ventilated as necessary. If that seat includes some kind of "swing arm" suspension in addition to what the rear wheel has, that would be fine too. The designers lost their vision; I hope they get it back.
I want a machine I can't afford and have to make payments on for 10 years. One that is internet connected so I can get emails selling me things based on how far and fast I ride and automatic alerts sent to my insurance company so they can tell me why my rates are going up again. I also want automatic updates like my phone and computer gets so when I want to go out for a ride I find my bike doesn't work anymore. That way I can pull the motor out and re-install hoping that it will work again like new. Then I then will go buy a new bike in two years because I can't get it out of second gear anymore and the engine shuts off every time I pass the dealership.

Thank you internet generation for calling me Boomer and telling me I need to get with the times!

· Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Folks... Let's take this whole thing for what it is. This isn't a bike you can buy. It's not going to be able to be purchased, ever. This will probably go to shows and end up in a museum some day or in another Jay Leno type garage. It's simply a prototype experiment into what Yamaha can do with current bleeding edge technology, AI and motorcycles.
I don't want an e-bike, ABS or even cruise control on the bikes I ride currently so I can understand the pushback and feels some of you are exhibiting but there is no need for all the hate. This bike is just a project and to see how far they can take the technology and put it to use.
I for one think it looks cool as hell and is definitely pushing the tech that will someday be in all bikes. Albeit not for a few decades at least. There will be a day in the future where cars and motorcycles cannot crash because of the onboard AI and auto-balancing. The rear "back breaker" and front haptic plates are there to understand where your weight is on the bike to better correct for steering and lean angle as it has ride-by-wire steering AND the counter weighted cell. The rear and front also pivot separately from one another based on input and rider weight and displacement based on those readings. Same with the throttle and brakes. All of this is well over millions of dollars, there is even a full Reddit thread where some smarter-then-me guys and gals have been compiling an estimate of what this bike would possibly cost IF it were for sale and how someone could buy it but it isn't for sale. The tech here is the stuff that is going to go into future generations of Moto GP bikes. Hell it may even create a new form of racing like the Car Of Tomorrow did or F1 constantly does every few years. Race an Indy car Vs. a F1 and the F1 will destroy it every time. It's just technology and progress.

I grew up without a cell phone, the internet, a PC or even cable TV for a good amount of my early childhood but now I have streaming services, an iPhone and 3 PC's. I can order food on an app and pay for things with my fingerprint or a tap of said phone. I remember people (my own father for ex.) saying that PC's were "just a fad" and "it will go away after a while". Yet here we are crossing our fingers hoping in 20 years you can still buy gas and ride an unassisted car/bike on the highway. I don't like the way it's going either but at least respect the work Yamaha is doing now.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

How could you dislike a bike with a front caliper like that?
Blue Electric blue Personal protective equipment Plant Pattern

· Registered
617 Posts
Zero interest in any of this electric crap, car, truck or bike, just political games being played ! Nope !
I absolutely positively agree with you 110%! These vehicles running around with thousand pound lithium batteries make no sense to me whatsoever. My goofy neighbor has a Tesla and every time he backs down his driveway I think the martians have landed. He practically forced me to drive the thing so I did and I absolutely wouldn't have one of those whistle and bell loaded pieces of s&#t.

· Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is pretty sad. People thinking one-of-a-kind batteries in a far away country are "political". Hurr Durr Mah Jobs. Yall are a lost cause, I expected people on a forum that's a dying art to take pride in reading comprehension but alas...we are worried about politics and batteries again.

· Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
10,078 Posts
I'm thinking the thread is looking like it's going south into politics just as many others have done. If it continues it'll be deleted. Yak about the vehicle instead, ok?

· Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,376 Posts
I think the tech is cool. When I was riding around on my 1980 XS850SG, ABS, Fuel-Injection, and Radial tires were just a dream, a fantasy, presented by visioners. Ne'er did I think I would ever be able to buy and ride a bike with such fantastical features...

Yet, here I am on Orion... All of those visions, realized, to perfection.

While I am not ready to embrace electric vehicles, I still can marvel at their innovations.

Never stop thinking!

· Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
341 Posts
What I see is allot of innovation that may be used in any number of applications. This motorcycle may not become a consumer product, but it is the type of test bed that spawns the more practical and affordable machines that we eventually buy.
I work in Research and Development, so I can appreciate the "think tank" envronment. If I wasn't working here, I would love to work there. I'd test that mother out. :)

· Registered
7,519 Posts
Those 'AA batteries' on the side are a LOLer to me.

Every electric bike and dirt bike I've had the chance to ride have been a joke to me, despite how 'amazing' the owner said they were.

The electric car I drove was fine, surprisingly zippy, but I'm always thinking about how the batteries are degrading with every charge and cost a fortune to replace, so I'm not interested.

The artificial intelligence... in a motorcycle? Not interested.

Can Yamaha just work on making R1s available for purchase? Dealers haven't been able to get them for years now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts