FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
While researching different top case options, my awesome kids surprised me by pooling their money and buying me a new Yamaha 50L top case (1MCF84A8T000) to mount on my Gen II. I was thrilled! I bought the correct Yamaha mounting bracket and ordered a lock (52S217800900) for the case (I bought my bike used and it didn't come with spare lock set keyed to the ignition for the case).

The rack arrived and install was easy, although I was leery cutting the side plastics as indicated in the install instructions, but it turned out fine.

My problem is with the lock cylinder. It appears to be about 1/16" too short as the included attaching screws only grab about two threads when installed. Also, it's clocked 90 degrees off, meaning that the plastic limit tabs that prevent the key from turning too far are preventing the lock from turning properly and I can only remove the key when the case is unlocked, it should be the other way around, key should only remove when locked.

I called the dealership I ordered the parts from and after much fumbling around, they said (not so convincingly) that I have the correct lock cylinder for the case.

I'm thinking either: (A) the lock set I received is the correct part but defective, or (B) It's the wrong part.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you resolve?

Returning the case isn't an option. My kids were very proud and excited to surprise me and i'd feel like a jerk if I sent it back.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I do have a 50 L OEM top case, but my dealer installed the cylinder so not sure how it looks like inside. Anyhow a photo of it attached.

Is it possible to mount it wrong, key in/out, locked/unlocked? (just asking).

/rogerf

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem recently. Contrary to what their computer says, you need the same lock that is used on the side cases. To confirm this, remove one and try it in the new top case before heading back to the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I should add that I ended up having to buy two different locksets as you need the "tee" part from the kit you have now and then the lock "housing" from the side case kit. Pretty screwy deal - the dealer was of little assistance other than happily selling me both kits.

I can only guess they've recently made a change to the 50l case handles that requires a "new style" lock while, at the same time, continuing to ship "old style" cases from inventory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I looked at the lock on my side case and it's a completely different latching mechanism. I've attached a few pictures hoping that someone can assist in getting this thing figured out.

Thanks,
Travis

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should add that I ended up having to buy two different locksets as you need the "tee" part from the kit you have now and then the lock "housing" from the side case kit. Pretty screwy deal - the dealer was of little assistance other than happily selling me both kits.

I can only guess they've recently made a change to the 50l case handles that requires a "new style" lock while, at the same time, continuing to ship "old style" cases from inventory.
DPS,
You're the man! I took the latching mechanism off of the side case lock cylinder and viola! The side case lock cylinder is a perfect fit in the new top case. I (wrongly) assumed the side case lock was a one piece with the latch.
Thank you so much,
Travis :grin2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your pictures confirm you have the same problem I had. As I said, remove one of the locks from a side case (two screws) and install it in your 50l case using the "tee" latch component in your picture - you will find it solves your top case problem, but leaves you short one side case lock.

The fact they have different latch mechanisms is the reason I had two purchase two different kits. You need that "tee" latch component on the back of the lockset shown in your pictures, but nothing else unfortunately

·
Registered
4 Posts
Travis, you might try again with your dealer now that you know the specifics. In my case, I took all three components (case, side case lock, and the lock their computer called for) to the dealer last fall and they were befuddled. They could not identify what the correct PN should be and could only suggest sending it up the ladder to Yamaha. I decided it was worth the $38 cost of a side case lock to be done with it.

good luck! Dennis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dennis,
You are correct! The side case lock is the one I need! I disassembled the side case lock and installed in the top case and it's a match!
Thanks you so much for your help.
:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good morning gentlemen, I am reviving this thread as I am having EXACTLY the same problem as the original tjnsr, I have the lock that came with the bike but the “catch” mechanism for the 50 L yamaha top case is the same as the one on the side cases and that will not work on the top case, I need the one in the picture placed by rogerf, much shorter, all metal stubby thing…
Anyone know where I could purchase that part…?

·
Registered
209 Posts
So I just need that silver “tee” part that attaches to the cylinder, the “catch” of the lock…

·
Registered
1990 Harley FLHTC, 2016 FJR 1300A, 2022 Ténéré 700
191 Posts
While you’re playing around with the lock assembly’s don’t forget to blue loc-tite the screws or you might be picking your bags up off the road

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
AFAIK, that part is not available separately as a service part..... I don't know how you came across your top box, but the piece should have been with it so you could use it with the third lock that came with the bike... better talk to a Yammy dealer, someone else had the same issue and I don't know the outcome...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well ladies and gentlemen, there is absolutely no way to obtain the little "catch" part that screws at the end of the lock cylinder for the 50 L. top case, the part is simply not available, anywhere, at any price.
If you don't have it, you are in trouble.
What I did: using the pictures posted earlier in this thread, (THANK YOU!!) and with the top case in hand at home, used a micrometer to take measurements of the "hole" where the catch enters, made a drawing of the "T" with the respective measurements, took the drawing to a machinist and had it fabricated that way.
Fits like OEM, happy camper!
If anybody ever needs the blueprint for the part, let me know.
Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well ladies and gentlemen, there is absolutely no way to obtain the little "catch" part that screws at the end of the lock cylinder for the 50 L. top case, the part is simply not available, anywhere, at any price. If you don't have it, you are in trouble. What I did: using the pictures posted earlier in this thread, (THANK YOU!!) and with the top case in hand at home, used a micrometer to take measurements of the "hole" where the catch enters, made a drawing of the "T" with the respective measurements, took the drawing to a machinist and had it fabricated that way. Fits like OEM, happy camper! If anybody ever needs the blueprint for the part, let me know. Cheers, Daniel
Hi Daniel, I have same problem here. I bought Top case from a guy without lock and I don't have that T aluminum part. Can you please send me the blueprint so I can get it fabricated? Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hello Tombo, welcome to the forum!
I'm out of town for the week, but as soon as I get home will look for that blueprint and I can mail you a copy.
Send your address (you can PM me)
Please note that this is for the OEM Yamaha top case only.
Cheers, and hope it works well for you, (not a cheap item to have without that locking mechanism...)
Daniel

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry!
Been out of town on an unplanned meeting, will send this next week.
My apologies.
DG.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts