FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember this one....?

Done it many times in both directions in/on everything from bikes to vans . . . it's probably one of the most challenging routes in England, even so we got a load of FJR's over together without a hitch, but... be careful.

WARNING

Do not do this route on a sunny weekend or START very early morning .[/color][/b]

Do not follow too close behind overweight saloons packed full of mum, dad and kids.

I have seen a motorcyclist up the pass coming up behind a Peugeot 406 fully laden with holiday-makers spinning its wheel on the steep hairpin before the top. Ended up having to stop on the steepest part of the inside of the hairpin as the Peugeot lost traction, the driver stood on the clutch and the brakes wouldn't hold the car. He started sliding back towards the biker and was left with no alternative but to roll backwards . . . not a very sensible maneouvre on a 45-degree slope on a BMW GS. It was about to roll backwards off the road when the bike started to tip to the right and the edge of the road was a good foot lower than the road surface. Over he went and the bike carried on sliding backwards down the slope.

The C**T in the Peugeot revved up, dumped the clutch and off he went spiining his front wheels leaving 12,000 miles worth of tread on the road. Nothing hurt on the motorcyclist but pride and I guess about £150 of damage to the bike.

Take the hairpins wide and wait until the road ahead is clear right through the bend.

It's a challenge that has to be done but start and get over early, good luck.

Nova

·
Registered
728 Posts
novawing said:
Remember this one....?

Done it many times in both directions in/on everything from bikes to vans . . . it's probably one of the most challenging routes in England, even so we got a load of FJR's over together without a hitch, and even let a laydee have a go. But... be careful. The laydees may even be able to do it without dropping their bikes or needing to change their bills at the end

Nova

Hi, Steve and Chris. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Make it over the wrynose or make it past the carpark, Woody?
8)

I know you were deffo there.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Liz said:
Make it over the wrynose or make it past the carpark, Woody?
8)

I know you were deffo there.
Either I seem to remember I didnt think It was wise to go that day.. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ woody, it was still a great week-ends riding in god's country.

best regards,

Steve

·
Registered
139 Posts
And don't do it in torrential rain - as I did in March 2005.

At least the road was quiet :shock:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
novawing said:
@ woody, it was still a great week-ends riding in god's country.

best regards,

Steve
Yeh, the wife & I had a real good time apart from falling off on the way too the meet. :(

But all in all a good weekend. :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
30%!!! I saw on the sign post....

Is that all?

My garage drive is 27% and that is up, going out, ... standing start..
It's only 14 metres long

Mind you its one of the reasons I got the FJR, I stalled the deauville and dropped it, couldn't brake in reverse :oops:

Ian

·
Registered
728 Posts
IanFR said:
30%!!! I saw on the sign post....

Is that all?

Ian
No, Ian. It's not all. It's just the point at which the last photos were taken because we needed to concentrate for the steep bits, none of which are straight or evenly cambered.

Still. 30 FJRs going across the pass was something to behold.

·
Registered
164 Posts
IanFR living near Paris your lucky to have 14 meters of drive That must work out at about 30000 euros a meter :)

Lets just say that ,that Day in the lakes I helped pick up more fjrs than I have ever seen on the floor but then Novawing was leading and we did have to make a few U turns :wink: :wink:

Nice to see you on the new site novawing , have you got a 2006 fjr on order yet :shock:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Shan,

Ok so I missed the turning and we had to U-Turn, but it wasn't so difficult was it, arghh! :wink:

2006 FJR on order, just been down to Power Bikes in Wycombe to book the test on the semi-auto version but if it's rubbish I'm doing another standard with ABS... :wink: :wink: :shock:

Catch you off line soon,

Nova :D :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
I love Wrynose & Hardknott cut me teeth on them as a youngster.However i was caught out a couple of years ago fully laden bike Ail on the back going from Wrynose onto Hardknott first serious right hander car coming down ignored the golden rule of giving way to stuff coming up. I had to stop on the bend with big camber dropping off on my left bike started to fall over Ail cursing. As the gap opened nailed the throttle front wheel came up about 2 feet more cursing really scary.So take the advise treat with respect & watch for the idiots in cars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
good job i wasnt trying to keep up with you :oops: ( as usual ) - still with a gap that big i would have stopped in time to watch mate :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts