FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Windmills. Wind farms are proving to be impractical. Only good for about 8 years before technology advances makes current ones defunct.
Where do you get your facts, facebook? From software developers who want you to ride the upgrade train? Cellphone manufacturers who want you to throw away your phone every year because there's a new one on the market?

I guess you should throw away your FJR because it's now defunct. Buy a new one.

An electric bike would be fun as a short range in town runabout if it didn't cost twice as much as a harley. If you don't mind carrying a 20 meter extension cord and waiting 8 hours to recharge each time it would make a nice tourer as well. With 150-180km driving range you'll get to stop and stay in a lot of nice places.

·
Registered
2010 FJR & 2004 Honda CB599F
32 Posts
Sorry. I do not do facebitch or any of the other social media crap. I will leave it to the likes of someone like you.

That took me less that 5 minutes.

Been a while since I looked at anything to do with windmills that my numbers might be off. But not by much. Facts still stand. There are problems with windmills that need to be dealt with.

Back to trading problems.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
530 Posts
What are your thoughts on the hydrogen cell/technology. I always thought that sounded interesting. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,524 Posts
What are your thoughts on the hydrogen cell/technology. I always thought that sounded interesting. :unsure:
Just saw something in the news about this boat a few days ago - very interesting

·
Registered
10 Posts
I might tour my neighbourhood or strictly local riding on an electric motorcycle or use an e-scooter downtown but the battery technology for long distance touring is just not there as yet especially if riding two up and with luggage to haul which will reduce battery life.Some riders are ok with short times in the saddle but most long distance touring there are long days and short days depending on the planned ride ,so in a nutshell not for me ,but I could see my grandchildren touring on electric motorcyles as battery technology will improve over the years

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry. I do not do facebitch or any of the other social media crap. I will leave it to the likes of someone like you.

That took me less that 5 minutes.

Been a while since I looked at anything to do with windmills that my numbers might be off. But not by much. Facts still stand. There are problems with windmills that need to be dealt with.

Back to trading problems.
I get the whole recycling issue. Same problem with rubber tires on our vehicles.

I want to know about your "8 year technology defunct" claim. I don't get how a product designed with a 20-25 year operating life span suddenly stops working after 8 years. Is Apple making windmills now with crippleware software that disables or slows down your device when a new model is released?

I've read that Elon Musk's Powerwall battery storage only works as long as you have an active internet connection.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
I get the whole recycling issue. Same problem with rubber tires on our vehicles.

I want to know about your "8 year technology defunct" claim. I don't get how a product designed with a 20-25 year operating life span suddenly stops working after 8 years. Is Apple making windmills now with crippleware software that disables or slows down your device when a new model is released?

I've read that Elon Musk's Powerwall battery storage only works as long as you have an active internet connection.
I say again,
I fear this thread is straying far afield and is turning ugly. We would all do well to answer the damn question in the title then move on.

·
Registered
2010 FJR & 2004 Honda CB599F
32 Posts

With regards to windmills.

The technology is advancing so fast, at approximately 8 years. The new windmills are putting out twice the power. Making the 8 year old windmill not as economical. By 12 to 16 years they are considering retiring them.

The farms could last as much as 45 years, BUT the cost and desire for profit (Greed). Make it prohibitive in most cases. Big corporation want to see far more money coming in.

And if you wish to research another aspect of wind farms. Look into how the spinning blades are taking out birds.

·
Registered
824 Posts
We are concerned about a small number birds being taken out by windmills. But nobody talks about the thousands of bugs that die every year on the front of each one of our motorcycles.

I know that comment will be taken as a joke, but…..it is true.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
There are 200 million insects per human on the Earth. You should have left it as a joke. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
Rubber tires are almost fully recyclable. Shredding and burning fiberglass resins doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
The bird issue is real, but there is a low frequency drone associated with windmills which prompted a guideline (here) to have no windmill within 1500 feet of a dwelling. It was causing headaches, insomnia and mental health issues.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,901 Posts
Say goodbye to the range anxiety, long charging times, and the (imagined) piles of lifeless batteries in some future junkyard . . . Maybe not quite ready for primetime this year, and not yet cheap, but we do not drive Model T Fords lately, either. I think Lithium batteries will soon be just as dead and out-dated as the Model T. Now Toyota and VW are in the game.
Solid-State batteries

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
So... is AAA going to have diesel generators on their service trucks so they can give electric vehicles a charge on the side of the road? I guess CA is feeling the pain of shutting down power plants, they just asked people to not charge EVs during peak hours (these hours are typically from 10:00 am- 8:00 pm during weekdays. In the winter, these peak hours are typically around 7:00 am to 11:00 am and 5:00 am to 9:00 pm), I'm sure these times would change as EVs tend to be charged over night when solar produces 0 power for the grid. I don't think we'll see a solution anytime soon but we'll definitely see the results of poor government planning.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,901 Posts
So... is AAA going to have diesel generators on their service trucks so they can give electric vehicles a charge on the side of the road?
Mad Cat,

I could see a tow truck picking up and transporting a dead EV to the nearest charging station.
A roadside recharge would probably take too long.
I would not have any AAA membership (it is really just an insurance company).
My car insurance already provides for such roadside service calls, exactly like AAA, but without the flak.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts