FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
an electric skate ... yes
an electric scooter ...yes
an electrified bike ... yes

The trips with my FJR through Europe ... in electric ..., I think I will not see it

Reactions: Liquidsilver

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could always increase the volts. Dump in faster. Just saying.
Hmm...not sure about that. Batteries charge a couple of volts over what they output (12v battery charges on 14v). Faster charging is a 115v or 230v step down transformer to push amperage into the battery.

Someone mentioned problems for the electric grid for charging a lot of cars, using a 100 amp service connection. I live in the southwest. Most newer homes (last 20 years) have 200 amp service. Many have 2 central air units, each drawing 70 - 80 amps. Electric oven, probably 60 amps, same for electric clothes dryer. Add in hair dryers, TV, lights etc. and you can see that not everything can be "on" at the same time. Now add another 30 - 60 amps for basic charger for electric car. If a 2 car family, that's 60 - 120 amps minimum for the vehicles.

If its 115 outside, do you decide to charge your car, or keep your cool and take the bus to work?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
Well, I think we can see there are challenges the powers that be haven't considered... because they didn't know because Elon Musk and the like never told them about the infrastructure they'll need.....

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Something that I read on this subject a while ago was quite interesting on all this. It stated that most homes have a 100amp service in them and to charge most ev’s take around 75amps and that at that 75amps it will only charge to about 75% capacity in 8-10hrs. Now add in that no matter how long you leave it plugged into your home it won’t charge any higher.

Add in that while you’re charging your ride that you probably can’t run the toaster or coffee maker, and the article talked about how many problems there would be for the electric company if there were more than a few ev’s on a particular neighborhood circuit. The electric company is going to have to upgrade their service as well as the service in the homes.

It was a pretty big and in-depth write up that I don’t know how close to true it is, we’ll see.
Heck I have 200 amps going out to the shop. I think the house is 250amp svc but may only be 200. OTOH you could over-spend on solar, spend a day (minimum) sweeping and cleaning the panels every month (+ after each storm for leaves/snow/dust(). BUT you could top off your equally expensive battery storage unit and THAT could charge your EV (one it has topped itself off... eventually).

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
A couple years back I looked into a solar system with a battery for my house in north Phoenix, first off, if you want to go "Off grid" and use batteries the federal tax breaks don't apply, you have to be connected to the grid to get them so full price. For my house, 3100sqft and two AC units, a 4 ton and a 5 ton I would have needed a minimum 15kw system and two batteries (at the time, they've improved a little since then) so I was quoted close to $60,000 and still had to be connected to the grid to cover any power the system couldn't provide. That's about 15 years for break even, add maintenance and new batteries at 15 years or less, no thanks, I can buy a lot of electricity for that. I have 400 amp service with 200 amp supplied to my shop, my house would look like a solar farm. This Green power push is not the way to go yet, there needs to be a break thru on batters before this gets implemented for it to be feasible, even then more efficient and reliable forms of production will be needed to supply the amount of power that's used annually (stepping off the soap box).

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
That reminded me of Long Way Up, where they chose Harley Davidson electric bikes. I swear the whole damn show was them looking for a place to charge. It kind of took any fun out of it for me.
That is easy. Install the chargers in the bars. After all, you do not need much range going from bar to bar.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It’s interesting that my neighbor has been into all this since he built his house, started with a $15k windspear (like a windmill) with no batteries because of the no tax break. It’s interesting that w/o the battery shed it will not make any power, so if the powers off he just sits in the. Dark. Well the “spear” was broke more than it worked and the company that made it went belly up with no support.

So, my green neighbor put in 4 rather large solar panels at another $14k with no battery shed which still leaves him in the dark if the power goes out. He does have a no or little electric bill if all goes well. Not for me ,,,,yet.

I guess the thing that really bugs me about all this is that the greenies like Nancy Pelosi points her ugly little fingers at all of us and says “you need to be greener!” Just before her ugly ass gets into her private 747jet to go wherever she wants, which is bad but then you realize that when she travels it’s a squadron of 3 747’s,1 for her, 1 for her entourage and 1 for the press troupe ! And don’t get me started on the multiple houses ! Hypocrites one and all!

Getting off my soapbox now !

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Ha just saw on the news California has banned gas powered lawn equipment sales starting in 2024.

You may have no choice but to tour on an electric motorcycle in the not so distant future. At least in California

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,901 Posts
Ha just saw on the news California has banned gas powered lawn equipment sales starting in 2024.
You may have no choice but to tour on an electric motorcycle in the not so distant future. At least in California
Ferret,

Unless they ban licensing gas vehicles in CA, the government there may find that everybody just goes out-of-state, buys and "imports" the bike they want. Side note: I have a corded electric lawnmower. Does the job, and it starts every time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ah, a coal powered lawnmower. Whatever will they think of next.
I got curious after your statement and did a quick Google to see just how much coal we still use. Apparently, coal only accounts for 19% of the power in the US.

And coal production has dropped to the lowest production since 1965. It’s on the way out.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Yes, coal usage is dropping in the USA. The rest of the world, not so much. And even in relatively affluent Western Europe, they are one bad winter from disaster. Even in relatively energy rich Texas, we are sweating a repeat of February 2020.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I got curious after your statement and did a quick Google to see just how much coal we still use. Apparently, coal only accounts for 19% of the power in the US.

And coal production has dropped to the lowest production since 1965. It’s on the way out.
Is coal production dropping because demand is lower or is it due to government regulations whose intent is to limit production?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is coal production dropping because demand is lower or is it due to government regulations whose intent is to limit production?
Probably government restrictions. You know there's an issue when China decides it's not a good idea. Up in Canada, towns reliant on coal are dying hard. Lots of suicides.

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
China has 1082 coal power plants and is scheduled to build 43 more! The rest of the world is shutting down coal powered plants at the expense of reliable power, I'm all for clean power but I don't want to live in a pre industrial revolution world, Its' hot here in the summer, I want electricity all the time not just when the sun is shinning or the wind is blowing.

·
Registered
2010 FJR & 2004 Honda CB599F
32 Posts
Would I tour on an electric bike...

Hell No.

I admit we have a problem with the way human kind is ripping this planet apart. And we do need balance

Take a look at the whole picture.

Let's start with where we are getting our power.

Nuclear. The arguments out there are limitless.
Hydroelectric. Some places great. Others not happening. Very few new dams are being made. And look at what has to be dome for a dam to be made.

Windmills. Wind farms are proving to be impractical. Only good for about 8 years before technology advances makes current ones defunct. Then the problems of dismantling them. Wow. Restoring the land. Some companies cannot afford to do.

And the blades are not recyclable. And very difficult to dispose of. Enough info out there if you wish to take just a little time to look into it.

Coal. Again. The arguments are limitless. And we are trying to move away from the problems coal causes.

Solar. Expensive to start with. Degrade over time. Weather patterns on where you are. Daylight hours. So do you charge by day, and ride by night??? Yeah, right.

Then there is the manufacturing of the bike. We are tearing the planet apart to get RARE EARTH minerals to make these things. Be it the batteries, or chips for the computers, display, motors etc.

What is the life span on the batteries? 7 to 13 years IF YOU ARE LUCKY. What is the cost going to be to replace the batteries when the time comes. Approximately half the cost of a new bike. If not more than that. So now the bike is not worth repairing. It just became garbage.

How much of that bike is actually recyclable at that time. Not much. So you start to part it out. But that still means someone out there who just purchased a used part had to turf a bad unrecycable part into a dump.

The arguments for e-power vehicles are interesting. But THEY are only telling you what THEY want you to hear.

Charge times. The specs are different depending on charging options. What you are charging. The list keeps going. Either way. Not a good option unless you are using an ebike for errands and can plug it in at home, or work.

Cost of charging. Residential charging prices vs commercial chargers. I recently read an article that the cost of home charging puts the cost per km / mile just above the cost of a gasoline engine. If you use a commercial system. Cost is 3 times higher.

And that does not factor in the cost of the home charging station. A basic using 120 volts was reasonable. But would charge a Tesla to a 70% charge overnight.

The 240 volt charger was cost prohibitive for the average person to afford. But charged the Tesla in 3 to 4 hours.

So. We are only moving from one problem to another.

Going to age myself here.

Remember when we had paper bags when we went shopping. They said we are destroying our forests. We had to change. We went to plastic bags. Interesting solution. We know how that has gone.

Pros and Cons to everything.

Before you go jumping onto change. Take a look at as much of the whole picture that you can.

Oh. There is an interesting video on YouTube about a guy blowing up his Tesla Model S. Why. Because the cost to repair it (replace the batteries) is cost prohibitive. And it was still uncertain if it would have fixed it.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
That is my thinking also.... the politics/social movement to reduce greenhouse gasses has not taken into consideration the whole picture.... It's going to cost a fortune just to upgrade the electrical grid also. I'm sure we can reduce greenhouse gasses by several means... maybe not enough, but enough to make a difference.
We sure do need to reduce our use of plastics..... I've seen enough documentaries on shipping it to Asia where they just burn all the plastic bags we throw out. Just last week a Florida gent on another forum posted this pic of a trash pile in Florida, joking that they had mountains... I didn't think it the least bit funny, but I bit my tongue.

Cloud Sky Pollution Paint Waste

Reactions: Diablito_181
41 - 60 of 98 Posts