FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see lots of Electric bikes hitting the market, most seem to be goofy looking dual sportish kind of things. Some sportish looking ones with impressive power, some good looking ones too. the Lightning LS-218 puts down a 10 second 1/4 time and looks good. Puts out 200 hp with 168 pounds of torque and weighs just under 500lbs, with 180 mile range (under ideal conditions I expect) probably closer to the 100 mile range cuz I wouldn't be able to just put around. A 30 minute charge time. But at $38,000. I'll pass.

View attachment 82404

There are some goofy looking things too.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle Bicycle wheel

No thanks.

What would it take to get you on a Electric Touring bike? I would need 300ish range and fast charging (15-20 min) with standardized charger, the ability to use car charge locations. Good ergos with adjustability, good wind protection and comfort for two. When we figure out the battery tech things will change fast, It's getting better but it's still Lithium based so the same issues with that tech, poor cold output and fire hazard. I'm not saying I'll never go Electric but they still have a long way to go. At 60 I'm thinking my 2015 A is going to last the rest of my riding life but you never know.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It would need to be a short tour.
The older generations have had the best biking years, the future for bikes and cars is gloomy unless they can come up with a battery that does 500 miles and charges in 10 minutes. Train travel will make a come back.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,899 Posts
Until the next generation of batteries come on line (obsoleting the lithiums entirely, and that's not too far away),I do not believe any electric bike (so far) is a good choice for touring. Now make it a hybrid, with a tank of LNG or hydrogen paste in one pannier, and a fuel cell in the other pannier, and we can get serious. Looks are not a factor to me, but that is a minor issue that will sort itself out. The bike should run on the batteries, re-charge at most food or rest stops, and the fuel cell should be a range extender, IMHO. With batteries for the real punch, and an extended range at cruise, electric bikes can succeed.

Now I'm a guy who also wants electric airliners, using fuel cells from Ballard's busses, and UnDucted Fans (outrunners) for clean, quiet flight. Forget Global Warming for a minute; look into Global Dimming (from the 9/11 tragedy).

We just need the will to make these changes happen.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,522 Posts
If you could get a reasonable range - 500 miles a day with a reasonable recharging if it needed it to go 500 miles a day. Sure. But now, electric cars and bikes wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No…hell no if it can’t crank out at least 600 miles a day the way I want to ride. Beside just how “green” are they when you are digging dirt to make batteries and burning coal/gas to make electricity to charge them. It’s a feel good pipe dream right now

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
Agree (not to get too political), the pushers of green have not considered the big picture... we're just trading one environmental problem for another, although I see why we need to reduce greenhouse gasses. Just think there must be a better strategy and hope the scientists are working on it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nope.

Haynes

Reactions: Scott_H

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a matter of time my friends. Think about the time, money, research and energy put into gas motors, electric is still in infancy. Complicated vs not... More energy used vs less. Not brain surgery to see where the future is going.

It'll get there, just a time thing. I think so many are against it, just due to human condition of not liking change.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Original question: Would I tour on an electric motorcycle? No.

Agree (not to get too political), the pushers of green have not considered the big picture... we're just trading one environmental problem for another, although I see why we need to reduce greenhouse gasses.
No argument about reducing greenhouse gases. Alas, CO2 is not a greenhouse gas. It is plant food.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
37 Posts
I see lots of Electric bikes hitting the market, most seem to be goofy looking dual sportish kind of things. Some sportish looking ones with impressive power, some good looking ones too. the Lightning LS-218 puts down a 10 second 1/4 time and looks good. Puts out 200 hp with 168 pounds of torque and weighs just under 500lbs, with 180 mile range (under ideal conditions I expect) probably closer to the 100 mile range cuz I wouldn't be able to just put around. A 30 minute charge time. But at $38,000. I'll pass.

View attachment 82404

There are some goofy looking things too.
View attachment 82405
No thanks.

What would it take to get you on a Electric Touring bike? I would need 300ish range and fast charging (15-20 min) with standardized charger, the ability to use car charge locations. Good ergos with adjustability, good wind protection and comfort for two. When we figure out the battery tech things will change fast, It's getting better but it's still Lithium based so the same issues with that tech, poor cold output and fire hazard. I'm not saying I'll never go Electric but they still have a long way to go. At 60 I'm thinking my 2015 A is going to last the rest of my riding life but you never know.
No in Canada they are a joke, the only viable solution is a hybrid and that is too bulky for a bike. Seems stupid when the Canadian and US governments give huge tax breaks to oil companies and the morons expect the average person to be ecologically responsible.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'd like one as a runabout except that they are priced like a harley with only half the advertised range and an 8 hour refill time because you only have 120V plug in at your destination.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300
45 Posts
I will consider an electric bike when:

1) Costs are close to a gas version.
2) Range over 500 miles or over 200 with a quick recharge option on the road.

Costs are coming down continually and the fuel costs of a conventional bike are going up. Right now, no. In the future, it's probably inevitable. I'm thinking the commuter and casual rider space will be the first to move to an electric option and the serious touring enthusiasts the last. The average commuter has a 32 mile roundtrip with an 8 hour break in the middle. The average sport tourer on a trip - 5-8 hours with an hour break for lunch. A very different market.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
"Gov. Gavin Newsom made headlines by announcing California will prohibit the sale of new gasoline-powered vehicles by 2035". You're on the path....... we need balance, there is no way right now of supplying all the electricity if everyone went EV. OTOH, since nearly half is generated by coal...... how to replace that??

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
103 Posts
My answer: NO
I don't believe in electricity for that currently

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
124 Posts
I ride 180 miles just to go for lunch. No thanks.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Just a matter of time my friends. Think about the time, money, research and energy put into gas motors, electric is still in infancy. Complicated vs not... More energy used vs less. Not brain surgery to see where the future is going.

It'll get there, just a time thing. I think so many are against it, just due to human condition of not liking change.
For me it is not a condition of not liking change(although I really dont) It is several obvious facts that the people pushing EV completely ignore or outright lie about.
1) Charge times.
It has been proven may times in articles you can look up Tesla and others state charging times that are not available in your house or any other available charging station. Nor will they be any time withing the next several years. Most if not all EVs have a 32amp limit in charging. This means for an american average of 26 to 31 miles it takes 1 hr to recharge the 9.6 kw used.
2) Amperage required for fast charging.
40amp 240v charging circuit is the quickest charging station available for home instillation. Most houses with a 200amp main service do not have 40amp 240v available in the main breaker panel. Much less 2 40amp circuits for more than one vehicle. No neighborhood electrical grid has the capacity to add 80amps @240v for even 10% EV charging.
EV sales are less than 3% of all vehicle sales.
3) Cars make up a small % of the overall environmental pollution. EVs will not impact the environment anywhere near what they say.
4) Airplanes will never be battery driven.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,899 Posts
1 - 20 of 98 Posts