FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Greeting from New Jersey, USA. I am new to this forum. I currently own a VTX 1800C, but would like to soon have a FJR in my garage. I went today and looked at a 05 FJR1300A that I absolutely love. I came so close to getting this bike at the beginning of 05, but just did not do it.
When I left the dealer, we were at 10700 for the bike. With all the refinements to the 06 would you buy an 05? What about the price? This was the first dealer I found that had a leftover.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
At that price, I assume it's a non-abs... I'd prefer it. It's lots lighter than the '06... with the same engine.

I would.

But I'm the resident madman... so you'd probably want other opinions.

Still, the '06 would be tons more fun than your big-daddy VTX.

Either one, you're in for a treat.

:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
05 is great

I have the ABS model and needed once last year, believe me it is worthed !!!

I used it once on a very bad rainy day and save me from kissing a bumper, maybe I was going a bit to fast ! :roll: :roll:

Either the 05 or the 06 you will have a great bike, I personnally
prefer the old fashion foot clutch.....

Paid my bike $17800.00 Cnd taxes included ( 15% )

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
The benefits of ABS are considerable, especially on a bigger bike like these.

I don't like 'em linked, but as an excuse for carrying more weight... ABS is a good one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The best refinement of the '06 is that when you're riding it you get to look at the tail lights of 05s, probably the one you let slip away for $10,700. Thats a great price for a 1300A.

FJReady

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mikeee says

Love my 03fjr. My opinion buy the 06. Heat management system suppose to be taken care of. Along with other nicer refinements. Yamaha seems to be listening . Hope this helps. Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
arkninjazx9 said:
Liquid you gonna buy an 06 FJR or an 06 FZ1 or an 06 R1LE .....inquiring minds want to know... :D
My dealer friend has 6 LEs in the showroom, and buddy 20valves has been flaunting his... but I can't get over my '04 red 'one.' (or the 8 to 10 grand difference I'd have to lay down to take one home)

And for my bagger... I'm loving the Ducati. The way it was hanging with buddies on an FZ1 and ZZR1200 a few days back... lets just say its spot on the garage floor is *ahem* quite secure.

Hopefully we can get down your way for NoMoSnow4... so you guys can hear the sounds the thing makes, too.

So, no new FJRs in the plan for me, currently. (hopefully, you guys'll still let me hang around ;) )

·
Registered
71 Posts
It would suck without you fer sure and I hope to run with ya'll too someday...

and theres never a problem with a hot redheaded Italian hangin around.. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
@Docjekyll What are you waiting for man? Get down there and buy that puppy. The '06 changes, as nice as they are, will not give you any bigger grin than what you will get with the '05. PLUS, there are all sorts of farkles and tech reports at your disposal to tweek the '05 bike to be just the way you want it. It will be years before there is a comparable amout of stuff available for the '06. Just my opinion. Oh, and you could have 5,000 miles on it before the '06s even arrive. Now that you have the dealer down to a price you can live with, go back and get him to toss in the extended warranty to make it a deal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 05, any thoroughly enjoy it. :D

That is about the same price or a bit better than what I got for my 05 thru the pre-order program (Non-ABS). I can imagine that the 06 would be more expensive? Also, are the 06's in the US going to be Silver again? That might be a consideration for you as well.

About the only way I would upgrade at this point to a new model would be if the US received black as a color!

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
TexasFJR1300 said:
About the only way I would upgrade at this point to a new model would be if the US received black as a color!
Welcome TexasFJR1300. It's great to have another rider with discernment and good taste aboard. I also align with your signature line.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love my 05, and for the price that you're getting, it's worth it. The management items changed on the 06 have yet to be properly evaluated by discerning riders. You're getting a decent cost savings from a dealer. See if he'll throw in a Y.E.S. plan and you have a great deal. TTYL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome TexasFJR1300. It's great to have another rider with discernment and good taste aboard. I also align with your signature line.[/quote]

Thanks and much appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get the '06

Personally, I wouldn't get the '05 now that the '06 is out. The '06 simply has too many improvements - not the least of which is "claimed" better heat management. "If" it works, that alone makes getting the '06 essential. I have heard it said that some people aren't bothered by the heat, but I find that hard to believe. Put it this way - there is NO WAY I would take my '04 to Utah in mid-July. No way! The heat would be absolutely unbearable! And I'm no heavyweight. It tics me off that every time I have complained about the heat problem (and I have often), the dealers and factory reps have sung the same B.S. tune: "Yamaha doesn't recognize a heat problem with the FJR." Every single one of them had that one memorized! Yeah! Right! If that was true, then why is it that NOW they crow so much about the new model's "improved heat management?!!!" Their canned response was a bald-faced lie, pure and simple! So much for Yamaha's reputation for supposedly taking care of their customers. In my opinion, Yamaha should have a recall of every pre-'06 model, and provide a factory fix for the heat problem, because it is EXTREME! So get the '06 buddy. You will doubtless spend more, but you'll be happier. Other changes, including standard ABS, adjustable seat and handlebar, longer swingarm, more adjustable windshield, taller secondary gearing, and 12v outlet, among others, sound to me like genuine, desireable improvements too. If you do decide to get the '05, it is a great bike - but don't expect to be comfortable on it on truly hot days. No way!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have never rode a bike that I would describe as comfortable, just that some are more comfortable than others, the FJR suits me, if I want comfort I take the car ! Heat may be an issue with some of you out there but in the UK its not a problem, and when I do go to hotter climates with the bike I put up with a little hot air blowing on my bits, makes a nice change.
The 05 bikes are fine, would I spend the extra £ on a 06, don't think so, but we are all different, thats one of the things that makes life interesting isn't it ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anyone interested in UK, CMC are knocking out 05 FJR's unregistered at £8589.00, with panniers but doesn't state whether they are ABS, thats one hell of a saving.

Teejay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts