FJR Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

· Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,471 Posts
Question - where does the oil level sender mount? Behind headers?

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Replacement harnesses. Headlight harness, main harness, injector harness, & tail light harness complete with bonus tail light. The ignition switch, side stand switch, & handlebar controls were spared.

Body jewelry Automotive tire Jewellery Motor vehicle Auto part

As mentioned all the battery / ground / starter cables were replaced also but not pictured.

Replaced the spark plugs since I had once in a lifetime access...once they were out had the same impression as when I did the <other bike>...is this really necessary?

They look black in the pics but in person they look good, should be running just fine.

Yellow Camera accessory Cameras & optics Auto part Lens

· Premium Member
FJR1300 A, Niken, T7, XS850,Tricity 300
412 Posts
I would remove and blank off the AIS system, remove and dismantle/clean out the starter motor then spray the rusty body of it. Great work done.

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Got the cooling system & all the wires that reside under the left & right main fairings reinstalled & sorted. Can't fill the cooling system yet since there is a loop that runs thru the throttle bodies.:rolleyes: Those left & right wiring bunches & hoses snaked around each other & the surrounding frame to radiator cowling will test you. The headlight harness & handlebar controls feed in thru the steering head & tie in to the remaining connectors under the tank then the AIS hoses plop on top last. Had enough wiring & cable routing for now--moving on to suspension for a change of pace.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tire Tread
White Light Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
After letting the fork drain for a few weeks (not intentional) I filled each leg with a few ounces of fresh fluid, cycled them for a few minutes, drained them again, then filled them up for good. One upper tube had a single rust pit spec on it in the travel portion, so I dressed it down with emery cloth.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Swapping out the mouse eaten rear fender & air box for fresh ones.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Asphalt Bag
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The gauge buttons are supposed to look like this:

Rectangle Gadget Plastic Pager Grass

The mice chewed mine so they look like this:
Auto part Gas Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

In addition to no longer being weather tight the rubber caps now no longer activate the switches below that look like this (& seem to function fine):
Circuit component Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Electronic engineering Electronic component

I REALLY do not want to buy a used cluster for around $60 just to pry out the rubber buttons. Anyone know a source to get replacement buttons?
One in one out
Audio equipment Cable Auto part Gadget Electronics accessory

Back

Automotive tire Wood Gas Circle Camera accessory

Front

Automotive tire Grey Wood Gas Tints and shades

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Dismounted the rotors & scrubbed them with water & a Scotch-Brite. Same with the pads (all interstate use, barley used). Cleaned the calipers, pad springs, & wheels with wheel cleaner. Tires only after I hear it run.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Bled front brake & clutch.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Letting the rear diff drain for a few days.

Cup Fluid Drinkware Drink Publication

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
Not awful but that rear diff hasn't been drained for a couple of years or more...... all good.

· Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
1,021 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just my go to wheel cleaner. It does an amazing job on brake dust. I prefer to remove the pads then spray down the calipers, let them soak a couple minutes, hit with a toothbrush (If needed), then rinse off.

· Registered
2008 FJR1300A in San Diego
95 Posts
Super restoration performance. We gotta ensure that these bikes are still around for the next generations to enjoy and you’re really doing your part with an abundance of valor (y)

· Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
1,021 Posts
Super restoration performance. We gotta ensure that these bikes are still around for the next generations to enjoy and you’re really doing your part with an abundance of valor (y)
I can second this as I AM that next generation and I am currently (well not at this freezing moment) enjoying the heck out of my 2003.

· Registered
2008 FJR1300A in San Diego
95 Posts
I can second this as I AM that next generation and I am currently (well not at this freezing moment) enjoying the heck out of my 2003.
Yeap, do enjoy the heck out of what you’ve got and lose any guilt you may harbor for piling up the miles. Otherwise it’s just like abstaining and keeping your girlfriend tight for the next guy.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts