FJR Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

· Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,471 Posts
No broken...where do you think it is?
Looks welded behind those slotted shelf bracket looking reinforcements that are under the factory rack mounts.
Edit: Now that I see your next pics, the rear of a Gen 1 is a lot different than a Gen 2

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Continuing to peel back the onion. Eventually, beneath the layers of plastic, wiring, & hoses you can start to make out parts that resemble an actual motorcycle. Removing the main front fairing around the dash & headlight was a challenge when you don't know where the fasteners & all the little interlocking tabs are. The FSM wasn't much help either. Finally got it without breaking anything.

I pulled the fuel pump & don't see how it could be saved with the corrosion in the tank. Despite the funk in the tank, the rest of the fuel system downstream may actually be salvageable.

I was also able to determine the FJR has Throttlemeister bar ends with cruise control.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Hood Tire

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looks welded behind those slotted shelf bracket looking reinforcements that are under the factory rack mounts.
Edit: Now that I see your next pics, the rear of a Gen 1 is a lot different than a Gen 2

View attachment 89978
Looks to be normal Gen I construction, here are two on Ebay....It is different than the Gen II on look.
Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper Auto part Machine

Automotive exterior Auto part Engineering Font Metal

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Almost to the turn. Bad spinal cord removed. Got to look in the intake ports....looks like the day it was made. No dirt or foreign matter. Not even a hint of carbon or buildup. Looks like brand new x4. Since it has no electrical system I was never able to check miles at the odometer. I have been operating under the seller's word that it had "ten to twenty" thousand miles on it. Guy I bought it from was the original owner who bought it new.

The amount of space a fully disassembled FJR takes up is staggering. I have parts stuffed everywhere. The mice really did a number on this wiring, but it will be fixed right (replaced).

If the images are small be sure to right click "open image in new tab". Soak it in.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Nut Auto part
Eye Motor vehicle Sculpture Art Gas

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
Ha, I still woulda power washed it first, lol. Ok, carry on.

Reactions: fjrlee and Whooshka

· Premium Member
FJR1300 A, Niken, T7, XS850,Tricity 300
412 Posts
Just think of the smile you are going to have on your face when you eventually get it purring like a cat. Great project, lots of parts on EBay, be patient and thorough and you will have a nice bike.

· Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,471 Posts
Looks a lot cleaner than mine;). How did you accomplish that?

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Mainly a little hand held steamer. No bigger than a coffee pot. The same one I got from Walmart (or similar) to remove the pink elephant borders & flower wallpaper in the house. Several applications since once an area was clean it would get dirty again from the adjacent areas. Often intentionally tipping some extra water out the spout so it was wetter than normal use. Worked really good with minimal mess & water in the garage. Hit the tough spots with a toothbrush then try again. Used a wet scotch brite pad on the header.

· Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
1,021 Posts
I have seen this before on YT and TikTok....Can't fool me! No way that's the same bike?!?!? ;) Seriously though, if it weren't for the slight rust on the starter anyone on social media would doubt this was the same bike. Amazing job!

Just an opinion: You may want to do more then forum posts of this kind of work as this kind of quality effort makes for amazing content for all sorts of social entertainment mediums. I am sure just this one bike alone could have easily created well over 20 videos and millions of views. Hell you could make a load of free money just taking on the worst of the worst and having your fun with it only to have it pay out solid revenue. Just a thought. Carry on.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
What is the mileage on this bike? You might as well do a valve check while you're all wide open, and you would be well advised to change out that "no dot" CCT for sure. I wouldn't trust it after sitting around all this time.

· Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
1,021 Posts
What is the mileage on this bike? You might as well do a valve check while you're all wide open, and you would be well advised to change out that "no dot" CCT for sure. I wouldn't trust it after sitting around all this time.
What follows is an account of one man's foray into the FJR world. I am posting it here as a retelling of the story I originally penned on another forum so that you FJR enthusiasts may find some amusement--& hope---in these cold dark months known to many of us here in the upper regions of North America.

Much of the thread will be copied & pasted from my original postings as the project progressed in then real time. I will differentiate those posts with italics. Any supplemental or current information & replies will be posted in normal text. Please note this project has already reached its end---whatever end that may be--so any original questions posed in italics need not be answered here...This is an origin story.
I'm pretty sure this bike is all put together and galloping down the highway at this point, Ray.

· Premium Member
541 Posts
Cripes! That is one dirty and corroded FJR! Never seen one that bad. I don't think it was stored in a barn.
At least the bar end looks to be in good shape:

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

• Haha
Reactions: Oldjeep

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
At this point in time I was going by the seller's word of "10k-20k" miles. I anticipated getting the CCT question here. I was a complete FJR noob at the time & not involved with this forum, so I knew nothing of FJR CCTs being problematic or updated. I continued happily along in my ignorance. Knowing what I know now, yes, replacing the CCT woudl have been a no brainer at this stage. Hell, wait a couple more posts & you will really be kicking me. Stay tuned.....spoiler alert.....I never changed the CCT. Or checked the valves.

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
CHAPTER 4--WE CAN REBUILD HIM

The mice did not stop at the main harnesses. Every wire must be inspected. I could patch, solder, or put new ends on some of the lesser damaged wires but I do not want to go back into this bike again, chase electrical gremlins, or be left stranded (it is a touring bike after all) so any wire that is compromised is being replaced.

The stator output, cam position sensor, & O2 sensor wires were untouched. The jumper from the neutral switch to the main harness was fine but I am replacing it with the one that came with the replacement main harness anyway.

Did a cold oil & filter change..

Liquid Stemware Water Fluid Drinkware

The bullet end of the oil level sensor melted off so the entire sensor was replaced. No end circled...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Gas

Replacement...

Cable Electrical supply Wire Auto part Electronic device

The output speed sensor wires were nibbled on so it was replaced. This is between the engine & shock/swingarm. The connector does not fit between the engine & frame so I had to release the pins from the connector otherwise I could not get the replacement in.

Finger Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Engineering

Electrical wiring Asphalt Cable Auto part Wire

Starter cable insulation chewed thru so it was replaced.. As were all the battery / starter / ground cables.

Cable Pliers Auto part Tool Wire

& Finally the crank position sensor was replaced due to compromised wires.

Camera lens Machine Thumb Terrestrial plant Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Helmet Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

How was that for a missed CCT opportunity.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts