FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last week we got our first taste of winter, right after the whole two weeks of Fall, the good thing is that our daytime temperatures are still in the plus and double digits 10 - 16 deg C, so we are still riding :smile2: Our real winter will come soon, let's just hope that we don't have to park our bikes just yet :frown2: It sure helps to have nice FJR weather protection, Barkbusters, heated grips and decent windscreen on 10 deg days.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
Well, if I lived there, I'd be doing the same thing. Pray for those chinook winds!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice pics , beautiful area !

But a tad too cold for this country boy ........

I remember riding around Ottawa years ago in July and it was cool evenings and quite chilly overnite .

Regards
George

Reactions: 2014oldred

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yesterday in Southern Ontario / GTA .. around 11* , took my new Milwaukee battery heated jacket for a test spin, nice and toasty - figure I can keep riding till the temp is below 5* consistently and makes the tires act squirrelly

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if I lived there, I'd be doing the same thing. Pray for those chinook winds!!
Yes Ray you got it "chinook winds" are our best friends, means warm(er) weather, the only pain from ridding in cold canadian weather is "eye pain" from constantly scanning the surface for gravel and possible ice patches in shady areas :smile2:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice pics , beautiful area !

But a tad too cold for this country boy ........
I remember riding around Ottawa years ago in July and it was cool evenings and quite chilly overnite .
Regards
George
Thank you, Ha,ha "too cold"... but our air is less dense so we getting better mileage :grin2: and cold weather keeping our skin tight = no wrinkles :grin2:
Cheers

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday in Southern Ontario / GTA .. around 11* , took my new Milwaukee battery heated jacket for a test spin, nice and toasty - figure I can keep riding till the temp is below 5* consistently and makes the tires act squirrelly
I agree, good choice I have three of those heated jackets (black,red and gray) great product. Red and gray with bigger pockets and bigger adapter for bigger batteries, did you know you can get a harness to connect them to your bike direct, no batteries needed.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Beautiful pics and scenery. I'd ride in that.

here in SW Ohio we should have another 6-8 weeks before the weather get real wintery. Of course most of the bikes/riders will be off the road in another 3 weeks, leaving the roads clear for those of us that shoulder on thru the winter months.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful pics and scenery. I'd ride in that.

here in SW Ohio we should have another 6-8 weeks before the weather get real wintery. Of course most of the bikes/riders will be off the road in another 3 weeks, leaving the roads clear for those of us that shoulder on thru the winter months.
Yep you got it, only bikes with full fairing and heated all, can be seen through the winter months, I get a giggle when people here in Alberta are saying; "no I don't want the FJR it gets too hot behind the fairing and big screen..." yes maybe, but that's a truth for maybe 10 days a year.
All I know is that thanks to FJR my riding season is greatly extended compared to other naked bikes, it's a perfect bike for our fresh and crispy weather.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree, good choice I have three of those heated jackets (black,red and gray) great product. Red and gray with bigger pockets and bigger adapter for bigger batteries, did you know you can get a harness to connect them to your bike direct, no batteries needed.
Nice, thanks for the heads up on that .. I am looking into different cables now:smile2:

·
Registered
467 Posts
"too cold"... but our air is less dense so we getting better mileage
Not to be a nit picker, but cold air is more dense. :grin2:

Beautiful country up there. Too bad you can't ride year round.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to be a nit picker, but cold air is more dense. :grin2:

Beautiful country up there. Too bad you can't ride year round.
Hmmm yes I could be wrong, I would like to invite the experts to chime in, in this case we are comparing our 1000m high altitude to lower close to sea level altitude air. Also I am interested about the effect on FJR naturally aspirated engine and getting less oxygen due to thinner air ?

Google on air density:
Density is proportional to pressure. Increase the pressure and more molecules are pushed into a volume so it gets heavier. Higher in the atmosphere it gets colder but density is lower because there is less pressure pushing the molecules together.

Density is also proportional to average weight of the gas molecules. The ratios of the gasses in air varies a little, particularly the proportion of water vapour which can range from almost zero up to a several percent at the ground in the tropics. "Wet" air will have a slightly lower density than dry air since water molecules are lighter that nitrogen and oxygen molecules. This is a small effect but can be important in meteorology where we have enormous volumes of air.

These are important effects but where the pressure and air composition are roughly THE SAME, like when you open the door of the refrigerator, cold air will be denser.

Airplanes take off when the air passing over their wings creates enough lift - lift greater than the aircraft's weight. That moment is determined by, among other things, the air's density. Air is denser at sea level where there's greater atmospheric pressure. It's also denser in colder conditions; a cold molecule takes up less space than a warmer one. ( confusing :laugh: )

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
The ECU compensates, no worries.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The ECU can't compensate for that barn door V-stream windshield topped with an X-creen and my side panels in the out position. LOL

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
That's controlled by your right wrist, Phil... surprised you didn't know that, LOL.

Reactions: NealC
1 - 15 of 15 Posts