FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this happened to you, put less than 750 miles on near new 2020 AE model and noticed the windshield was not tight, took the cover off and found that 3 screws on each side had backed out a two or three turns. Is locktite the solution ? Replaced the plastic screws with stainless ones when I put the large CALSCI screen on.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,840 Posts
Has this happened to you, put less than 750 miles on near new 2020 AE model and noticed the windshield was not tight, took the cover off and found that 3 screws on each side had backed out a two or three turns. Is locktite the solution ? Replaced the plastic screws with stainless ones when I put the large CALSCI screen on.
Rhody,

You may not get the plastic screws out, with Locktite. When you need hardware with Locktite to come apart later, typically you may need to heat the screw. Can't do that with plastic screws. I use RTV sealant for things that I may want to disassemble later. RTV will resist nicely at every turn of the screw, but RTV never hardens.

Yamaha uses plastic screws on the windshield so the windshield will shear off in one piece in an accident. Using metal screws there, in an accident, may cause the windshield to shatter into dangerous if not deadly shards. Some shards may still be attached to the bike, in the path your body may take over the bike. You can certainly make your own choices there, but I am happy to spend the coin for the OEM plastic screws.

You can make your own luck. Make all of yours to be good luck.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
Loctite and plastic do not like each other... your plastic screws won't last long. Loctite will eat plastic.
The screws go into 5mm brass insert rubber well nuts, which compress when snugged... when there is enough tension on the screw, it should never back out.

Reactions: JohnC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rhody,

You may not get the plastic screws out, with Locktite. When you need hardware with Locktite to come apart later, typically you may need to heat the screw. Can't do that with plastic screws. I use RTV sealant for things that I may want to disassemble later. RTV will resist nicely at every turn of the screw, but RTV never hardens.

Yamaha uses plastic screws on the windshield so the windshield will shear off in one piece in an accident. Using metal screws there, in an accident, may cause the windshield to shatter into dangerous if not deadly shards. Some shards may still be attached to the bike, in the path your body may take over the bike. You can certainly make your own choices there, but I am happy to spend the coin for the OEM plastic screws.

You can make your own luck. Make all of yours to be good luck.
I will try the RTV thanks, what you say makes sense about metal screws hopefully that will never happen, the CALSCI shield is pretty tough.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Dooooont do locktite. Previous owner did on mine and I wanted to kill him when i had to take 2 extra hours only to mash the well nuts to scraps. Had to get new ones. The key with those is you can tighten them down…just don’t strip them. Tighten them to the point where you feel like the next two turns might jump the screwdriver…then stop

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Loctite and plastic do not like each other... your plastic screws won't last long. Loctite will eat plastic.
The screws go into 5mm brass insert rubber well nuts, which compress when snugged... when there is enough tension on the screw, it should never back out.
I have never had windshield screws come loose on my 2013. And even if they do back out, those little screw covers will keep you from losing them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The "plastic screws break intentionally" is internet lore that someone made up and now everyone seems to believe. Use whatever screws you want.
I think it's probably that with the nylon screws, it adds a little bit of of cushion when the wind heavily buffets the screen, to avoid cracking the screen. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
They are l
I think it's probably that with the nylon screws, it adds a little bit of of cushion when the wind heavily buffets the screen, to avoid cracking the screen. Just my .02
It is a good idea to use rubber washers with the metal screws - and they typically come with them. Have not had any issues so far on any bike with the metal ones.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
I’d stick with the stock nylon screws (aftermarket screws, like the ones that come with vstream, are plastic, and not as resilient). Loctite would be a hard no, for me.

I’ve put a screen on and felt like everything was tight, then found the bottom two to be a little loose a few weeks later. Tighten them while pressing in on the screen, right by the screw hole. Check them in a week. If they haven’t loosened, they probably aren’t going to. I’ve used OEM nylon on all sorts of screens, to include the largest Cee Bailey and the extra tall Aeroflow, with zero issues at any speed.

I’ve swapped windshields more than any sane human ever would. Only a couple of times have I found screws that had loosened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts