FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the edge of a very long ride, and one issue that nags me- the windshield has some play. It's not the screws holding the actual windshield down, they're snug, but seems to be some looseness in the mount arms to the motor somewhere in there.

It's not bad, and has generally seems to have been this way since I've owned it.. but is this "normal"? There's just a small play.. but the windshield does shake a bit at highway speeds.

Is this going to somehow let loose in the next couple of weeks? :oops:

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Registered
877 Posts
Does it feel firm when you grab the windshield…but you can move it…. Or it feels like it’s clicking back and forth?

·
Registered
2008 FJR
108 Posts
The screen on my 2008 Gen2 is rock-solid at any adjustment level or riding speed. I would say that what you're experiencing is not "normal". That being said, I can't tell you if the shield is about to auto-eject or not. Could just be worn components in there (or maybe someone reassembled the arm mechanisms with some pieces missing?).

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
Mine has always had some play in it and shaken at speed. Last time I mentioned it on this forum one of the technical guys mentioned something about the sliding mechanism having plastic rail pieces that wear and get sloppy. I can't find that post.

So yours has always done this and NOW you're worried about it? I think the pre-trip jitters are taking hold. :)

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Mine has play if you are sitting in the garage rattling on it. Never noticed it while riding, but I'm not sensitive to wind/buffeting/bubble or whatever it is that people are always complaining about.

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850, Niken
357 Posts
The Gen IIs all have some play in the rail and slider mechanism. If you can move the screen towards the dash and away from the dash that is normal and it will not fly off.

The Gen IIIs and up have a different, quicker, cheaper and simpler lifting mechanism

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine has always had some play in it and shaken at speed. Last time I mentioned it on this forum one of the technical guys mentioned something about the sliding mechanism having plastic rail pieces that wear and get sloppy. I can't find that post.

So yours has always done this and NOW you're worried about it? I think the pre-trip jitters are taking hold. :)
Ha Ha Ha!! Exactly! Pre-trip jitters!
Well, there has to be something to be nervous about, eh? ha ha.... I've done about eight rides over the Rockies from NY over the years... ALWAYS, the first day or so out I'm a mess - What's that noise?? Why am I feeling dizzy? Am I going to have a STROKE? I KNEW I should have changed that rear sprocket! Is that tire going FLAT?? .... Then, after a couple two-three days, I settle-in and start to enjoy myself.

I've been over the bike carefully-- new tires, oil change, air filter, lubed the splines, synched the trhottle bodies, adjusted the steering head... All looks GO for Liftoff

Yeah, some slight movement down in the windshield arm mounts, but I looked at it again.. doesn't seem to be much different than a year ago. Likely just some wear in the plastic slides down there.

F-it. Let's GO! Heading for Oregon, via a ferry across Lake Superior, then maybe Deadwood/Sturgis.. to pal's house in Idaho, then another on the Oregon coast.

Gonna see what this Feejer was designed for.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Gen IIs all have some play in the rail and slider mechanism. If you can move the screen towards the dash and away from the dash that is normal and it will not fly off.
Yes, exactly- a little rock forward and back, no clicking or anything, seems pretty solid otherwise
THANK YOU. I will ride easier!
---
PS - for anyone who may have read my thread, "Blasted Wind", talking about wind noise and windshield shape... some guys may be pleased to know that I surrendered for this trip, and re-installed the tallish shield that came with the bike last year. I made some improvements... but what the hell... I am full-bore Touring on this trip and it seems to be my least-noisy option.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
Ha Ha Ha!! Exactly! Pre-trip jitters!
Well, there has to be something to be nervous about, eh? ha ha.... I've done about eight rides over the Rockies from NY over the years... ALWAYS, the first day or so out I'm a mess - What's that noise?? Why am I feeling dizzy? Am I going to have a STROKE? I KNEW I should have changed that rear sprocket! Is that tire going FLAT?? .... Then, after a couple two-three days, I settle-in and start to enjoy myself.
That's entirely too much worrying! I usually just worry that I forgot my toothbrush or something and then after an hour on the road it doesn't matter. It's a FJR, nothing to worry about. And you're not going to have a STROKE lmao. Relax. Enjoy it right from the start this time!

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha Ha Ha!! Right!!
Actually I think I'm better-prepared than the other times I've headed west... I'm actually relaxing tonight and hope to get my ass up and out early Everything is in place... even my toothbrush!

Thanks a heap for the encouragement. LET'S ROLL!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
NY to the Rockies is a pretty stout ride!

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
2008 FJR
108 Posts
F-it. Let's GO! Heading for Oregon, via a ferry across Lake Superior, then maybe Deadwood/Sturgis.. to pal's house in Idaho, then another on the Oregon coast.
Ferry across Lake Superior? That's a new one on me. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the one on Lake Michigan between Ludington and Manitowoc? I can't picture what kind of route/ports a ferry on Lake Superior would take/use.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahh, my bad... Lake MICHIGAN!
Sorry about the poor geography, I'm an East Coasta.

LAKE EXPRESS .. between Muskegon and Milwaukee

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Ferry across Lake Superior? That's a new one on me. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the one on Lake Michigan between Ludington and Manitowoc? I can't picture what kind of route/ports a ferry on Lake Superior would take/use.
Only one I know of is the one that goes back and forth to Madeline island.
Water Cloud Sky Vehicle Wheel

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
Attaboy! I always stop at the welcome centers when crossing state lines and grab a free state map. Gives a little more detail. 2000 model, eh? Come into the 21st century and get the download and run it on your WinME system. Yeah, that'll do it for ya :LOL:!

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
204 Posts
And I thought my 2008 Atlas was… outdated…

• Haha
Reactions: Whooshka
1 - 20 of 21 Posts