FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I was fortunate enough to be able to test a prototype shield from Aeroflow. After many miles, to include Fjriders Eastern Owner’s Meet in Flatwoods, WV, I summarized my personal impressions of the Aeroflow X-Tall prototype. Copied below:

Aeroflow X-Tall prototype update: With 32 hours of riding in a variety of conditions, speeds, rain, etc., I’ve had due time to build some love or hate for this shield. I really didn’t expect to like it, had no real expectations one way or the other, and tried to approach it from a neutral perspective.

I found the pocket behind the screen to be so quiet that when I would flip my chin bar up to do something, I’d forget to put it back down. Never happened to me before, except with a Cee Bailey.

One day, I forgot to put earplugs in before I left to ride near the Gauley in WV. First part was at highway speeds, 70+, and it was a while before I even noticed I’d forgotten my plugs.

The top vent on my Neotec 2’s usually makes just enough noise at higher speeds, that I close it if I’ll be going very far. No discernible noise from that vent with this prototype. I never closed the vent.

Seats and tires and oil and shields aren’t universal. What’s preferred by one might be different than what’s preferred by another. To me, this prototype is the best thing since Cee Bailey. I think the production tall is probably the same, but for shorter or average riders not using heli’s or something that moves them up and back.

Now to get some data from other riders. If FedEx ever unscrews themselves, there’s a tester identical to mine waiting to be delivered to a gulf coast rider. I’m going to (reluctantly) pass the prototype I’ve been using on to another rider for evaluation. I hope these go into production one day.

Test Bench:
FJR1300ES (2018)
6’0 rider with 32” inseam
Stock/custom Laam seat
Shoei Neotec 2’s
Rev’It Sand 3/Aerostich Darien
Givi V47/V47 with loboo waterproof duffle on pillion seat/no topcase-no duffle
Helibars, middle position

#aeroflowscreens FJRiders FJR1300 Forum

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank Sky

·
Registered
120 Posts
I volunteer to test it if you're still looking for someone to pass it on to. Currently running no screen during the hot summer months, a stock screen for the air flow in mild weather, and a tall Calsci when it gets cooler. Just can't seem to find a do all screen.

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frank- I’m going to fish in the local pond initially, due to shipping costs. But I’ll keep you in mind, sir.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update- The extra tall will be in limited production quite soon. Preorder is available on the aeroflow website. I’m still running the extra tall, though I’ve swapped it off a couple times for comparison with my Yamaha Touring and Aeroflow Tall screens.

Darned quiet, for me, at highway speeds, but air is pretty clean when I lower it. I get a little light fluttering around the helmet at closed-track speeds but that’s true with any screen,
for me.

·
Registered
2008 fjr1300
9 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write this up Bill. Has Aeroflow indicated if they are leaning towards making a screen for Gen 2 bikes?

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Update- The extra tall will be in limited production quite soon. Preorder is available on the aerostich website. I’m still running the extra tall, though I’ve swapped it off a couple times for comparison with my Yamaha Touring and Aerostich Tall screens.

Darned quiet, for me, at highway speeds, but air is pretty clean when I lower it. I get a little light fluttering around the helmet at closed-track speeds but that’s true with any screen,
for me.
AeroFlow?

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven’t really talked to them about that. I’m surprised they agreed to make an extra tall for gen 3. It wouldn’t hurt to ask them.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up Bill. Has Aeroflow indicated if they are leaning towards making a screen for Gen 2 bikes?

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard from Aeroflow last night. The first (limited) production run of extra tall screens should be ready to ship in the next week or two. Cool to see new options for our bikes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I heard from Aeroflow last night. The first (limited) production run of extra tall screens should be ready to ship in the next week or two. Cool to see new options for our bikes.
Hi Bill...

Do you happen to have a picture of the entire Extra Tall shield on your bike (other than the bottom corner pic) perhaps? I was also curious if the top is fluted like a CeeBailey like the others on their site seem to be? Lastly, is it as tall or taller than the Yamaha Touring screen? It looks tempting.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It’s about as tall as the touring, but it protects like a taller screen, like Cee Baileys do, because of the flip at the top. I went straight from the extra tall to my Cee Bailey barn door a couple of days ago. I had not used the Cee Bailey since 2020.

Frankly, I expected the (grail) Cee Bailey to outperform the extra tall. I mean, the Cee Bailey is huge.

The CB is nice, but I didn’t detect much, if any, improvement over the extra tall. To me, the extra tall is just right for the average height touring rider using bar risers. But everyone is different.
As posted elsewhere, photos below are of the extra tall Aeroflow prototype, per your request
Tire Wheel Sports gear Fuel tank Motorcycle helmet
Tire Wheel Helmet Vehicle Motorcycle helmet

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 fjr1300
9 Posts
I haven’t really talked to them about that. I’m surprised they agreed to make an extra tall for gen 3. It wouldn’t hurt to ask them.
I just called and asked—the response was that it’s basically a numbers thing-if the Gen3 shields sell well, there is a better chance for the Gen2’s to get made.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I spent a good long time on the phone with Paige at Aeroflow today asking some questions about the screens. He has two demo units of the extra tall ”in the wild” at the moment and Bill has provided the lions share of the feedback on them to date. I was mainly interested in the measurements since they had no dimensions overlaid on the Yamaha Touring screen like they did with the regular and tall versions of their screen. They were able to tell me that the width at the base is the same as the tall version, however the extra tall has a height 1/2” less than the Yamaha Touring screen.

He went into a fair amount of detail on how height doesn’t determine the flow that creates a pocket and actually making it much taller can even be detrimental to a laminar air flow. Also, much as we all suspected, as the windshield is raised on our generation 3’s, the plane of the screen becomes more vertical which creates more turbulence and disrupts the smooth flow. This is probably why shimming the carriages has a beneficial effect at higher screen positions/higher speeds. Apparently I am the tallest person he has spoken with (at 6’ 6”) but he thinks he could possibly increase the height of the shield at most another 1/2” if needed, but since he is lacking other feedback, he seemed to think that might not have a net-positive effect.

Also of note, the screens are heat treated acrylic and they do all the fabrication in-house save for the CNC milling which due to costs are outsourced. The production run of the extra tall could be done again in the future if there is sufficient demand but he was unable to gauge if that would be the case thus far. My advice is that if you are on the fence about trying this screen out, you may have a very narrow window in which to do so. Anyway, he was an extremely nice (if not very chatty) fellow and I hope this turns out to be successful for him and us FJR owners.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
They have much larger (and time consuming) projects going on. The extra tall, as Paige indicated, is the same as the tall, except that it’s slightly taller. It performs as if it’s slightly taller than the touring, running them back to back, for me. As noted above, interest, as expressed via aeroflow’s contact form or by dropping them an email, will determine if subsequent runs or extra falls are made, and if any other models are made. So if you’re interested, fill out the comment form or send an email.

The measurement data is out there. But keep in mind that shape is king. Measurement alone will not be indicative of coverage or performance am any shield.

I’m waiting on headlight guards to be ready. My fancy LED assembly is heavily speckled. I want to prevent further optical occlusion, and I’ll probably run a set on my next fjr to keep them pristine.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Thanks for this review Bill ! I may have to look into these if I keep my FJR, any idea of the cost ?

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Prices are on their website. I think somewhere between $200 and $250 depending upon what option you select.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is the new shield milled to allow the Yamaha screw covers to install? I can understand you not installing the covers for the purpose of testing. I couldn't tell from the picture if the shield will accommodate the covers.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All of their production shields fit the bike as stock. To include the screw covers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts