FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2006 last saturday took it for a day trip to vermont thursday 525 miles love the bike but not happy with buffing from the windshield.Has anyone tried the LAMINAR wind deflector looking for reports

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
lrider said:
love the bike but not happy with buffing from the windshield
This really surprises me, I feel like the 06 is a massive improvement in smoothness of air flow. Maybe I'm just lucky to be in the design sweet spot of the bike's ergos.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 06 has no buffeting but way too much noise. It's driving me crazy - ruining a great machine not to mention my hearing. I'm using ear plugs but the wind noise is still WAY TOO LOUD YAMAHA :x

I'm going to saw 4 inches off the top. As far as I'm concerned it's worse than useless anyway. BTW it also SUCKS when I raise the windshield.

As if this weren't enough - the wind noise is so irritating on the highway it has caused me to dislike the entire dash design. Did you ever notice - the dash looks like it belongs on a Sears Kenmore electric range. I didn't expect a $13,000 sports tourer to have such a lousy windshield.

I'm 5'7".

Did I tell you the windshield SUCKS?

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
Wind? On a motorcycle? You're kidding, right? :shock:

I wear ear plugs and have for years. Even with the best helmets the air pressure is enough to lead to hearing loss. Protect your hearing. Wear hearing protection.

Short of that, I hear Mazda's Miata cuts the wind off the operator a little better. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I want a taller and wider screen...

I took delivery of my '06 last week. What I noticed is that, if I scrunch down about 2 inches with the windshield all the way up, there is a very nice pocket of still air. I hope that I can add an aftermarket screen that is a little taller (and wider probably wouldn't hurt either) that will solve the buffeting and noise issue. I almost bought an ST1300 over the FJR because of my pleasant experience with the airflow management during a demo ride. I don't want too tall of a windshield though because I want to keep the advantage of maximum airflow to my helmet with the windshield all the way down during the hot months of the summer while traveling at slower speeds like through a town. After some back trouble, I am about 5'11". I would like to try a 4" taller screen.

too_many_hobbies

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
I didn't expect a $13,000 sports tourer to have such a lousy windshield. I'm 5'7". Did I tell you the windshield SUCKS?
There ain't nothing wrong with the windshield, little guy. You'll find it just fine when you grow up a little :mrgreen: :D

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
My 06 has no buffeting but way too much noise. It's driving me crazy - the wind noise is so irritating on the highway it has caused me to dislike the entire dash design. Did you ever notice - the dash looks like it belongs on a Sears Kenmore electric range.
You're right, it has driven you crazy, stark raving nuts.

Good luck finding a bike that that keeps all wind off you and is quiet, good grief. I think you may need something with doors. You must buy shitty ear plugs, too.

Electric range.....right. Is your CBR1100 still running?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took off the windshield of my 2006 FJR and the mounting is very different than 03-05. I sent the windshild to Mark Lawrence at California Scientific to get a new one fabricated with the correct mounting holes. I've been riding with the windshield off for the past few weeks, and it seems quieter up to about 80 mph. I'm 6'1" and agree with the "duck down 2" trick". I don't have the new shield yet, but I can post again once I get it.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Products.html

·
Registered
355 Posts
Maybe a National Cycle VStream?

National Cycle has come out with a new windshield for the FJR called a V Stream. They have tehm currently available for the '02-'05 FJRs and soon to have them for the '06(US) bikes.

I will be getting one shortly for my '03. I'll let you know how it works.

Here's the link with more info:
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/nresults2.html?search_model=ym-070

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Re: Maybe a National Cycle VStream?

xcsp said:
National Cycle has come out with a new windshield for the FJR called a V Stream.
Just curious, how many got the note about trying out the National Cycle V-Stream?

Not saying it wasn't earnest... just curious.

They approached me and asked me to try one, and... if I were to agree to try it and write an opinion about it (honestly), that I would keep it free of charge. I informed them that I no longer had an FJR... and recommended a couple of members that did.

Anybody else get this? Not a bad idea... especially if it works well.

BTW - that storage pod looks pretty interesting for the Duc... if I never get my medium tailpack from a buddy I loaned it to! :roll:

:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
bounce said:
Wind? On a motorcycle? You're kidding, right? :shock:

I wear ear plugs and have for years. Even with the best helmets the air pressure is enough to lead to hearing loss. Protect your hearing. Wear hearing protection.

Short of that, I hear Mazda's Miata cuts the wind off the operator a little better. :mrgreen:
I also wear ear plugs all the time. They have two major advantages - 1) reducing wind noise and 2) preventing you from listening to the motor at idle which sounds like marbles rolling around in a coffee can. :crylarf:

·
Registered
250 Posts
20valves said:
joecbr1100 said:
My 06 has no buffeting but way too much noise. It's driving me crazy - the wind noise is so irritating on the highway it has caused me to dislike the entire dash design. Did you ever notice - the dash looks like it belongs on a Sears Kenmore electric range.
You're right, it has driven you crazy, stark raving nuts.

Good luck finding a bike that that keeps all wind off you and is quiet, good grief. I think you may need something with doors. You must buy shitty ear plugs, too.

Electric range.....right. Is your CBR1100 still running?
Actually I plan to cut 4 inches off the windshield so I can get clean air over the top. Clean air is much quieter than air that is forced over a windshield. I don't like the big flat vertical windshields that touring bikes have. I have no problem with a wind blast in the chest - even if it's freezing cold. The problem is Yamaha thinks that anyone that rides a sport tourer is affraid of the wind - so they put these hugh slabs up front - with motors to raise them even higher - anything to keep the wind off the rider -- why bother riding a motorcycle .....

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
Clean air is much quieter than air that is forced over a windshield. I don't like the big flat vertical windshields that touring bikes have.
I agree about clean being much quieter. Count yourself lucky if you think the 06 is noisy, the stock '03 windshield was very loud, very turbulent for me. The 06 is MUCH better in that the air coming over the top is smooth, not turbulent. In the lowest position, it hits my helmet right in the top vent and doesn't knock it around at all. With earplugs, I can't even think about complaining about wind noise and I'm 5" taller than you. I run my seat in the high position too.

joecbr1100 said:
The problem is Yamaha thinks that anyone that rides a sport tourer is affraid of the wind - so they put these hugh slabs up front - with motors to raise them even higher - anything to keep the wind off the rider
All the guys on here who immediately go out and buy even larger screens would disagree. Yam have to build what suits most of the market. I disagree that the few things don't suit you personally add up to Yamaha building a lousy bike. I think the performance of the 06 screen shows a lot of thought went into improving it. It's cool that your Kenmore range has a speedo and a tach though. What year is it?

joecbr1100 said:
I have no problem with a wind blast in the chest - even if it's freezing cold. -- why bother riding a motorcycle .....
Only it can't be noisy....?

joecbr1100 said:
the motor at idle...sounds like marbles rolling around in a coffee can.
Hard to tell where you're coming from man. Do you like your bike? You sure bitch about it a lot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
VStream windshield

I posted some info in the "Farkling II" section in regards to the VStream windshield if anyone's interested in getting one for a good price from Mr. McCoy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't know about the '06, but I owned an '03 and an '04 and it wasn't until I got my V-Strom that I realised just how horrible the airflow over the FJR is. I changed windscreens and told myself it was a lot better, but now I know it still sucked. I'm sure some of the problem was caused by my flip-up helmet but I still wear it on my V-Strom and if I'm just going across town I don't have to wear my earplugs. On my FJR, I wouldn't go 2 blocks without earplugs.

Don't mean to sound like an FJR basher; I miss my FJR and wish I could have kept it too. But it seems to me that the only ones who don't complain about the windscreen are those who ride with it down most of the time and pretty much just take it out of the equation. I don't know what the real answer is but if the '06 still has buffeting problems maybe Yamaha should contract their windtunnel work out to one of their competitors. My V-Strom has a dinky-ass windscreen and doesn't have NEAR the buffeting my FJR had. Maybe it's just too hard to make a bike look as sexy as the FJR and still be able to make the windscreen look right and keep the pilot comfy in the windstream around the cabin. In the case of my V-Strom, sexy looks was obviously not a restricting design factor. :crylarf:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I've always found bigger screens to be more buffety, but it's a trade I'll take when it's cold out.

I've also found that every screen I tried with a 'flip,' the buffeting was maximized.

I had a barn door Rifle screen for the '03, and that thing was horrible. Felt like your head was in a paint-shaker. I only used it for sub-freezing weather.

Stock screens, IMO;
stock '03 was kinda lousy
stock '05 was much better

My favorite screens were my little tiny cut-down jobs. Completely pristine, smooth air to lean into. And Mr. Shoei has the wind-tunnel work DONE. That thing makes NO sound in clean air. (but I'm so used to earplugs, I feel naked riding without 'em)

If the '06's screen is much of an improvement on the '05 - as the '05 was to the '03... it must be a lot better.

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered a Laminar lip for my '06, $93.00 delivered.

I'm 6'4", with a 34 in inseam, and the stock shield was beating me to death in any position other than full down.

I don't really want a barn door on the front of my bike, so I'd thought I'd try the lip first. If I still have to go to a bigger screen, I can transfer the lip over.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
zmlw3 said:
I just ordered a Laminar lip for my '06, $93.00 delivered.

I'm 6'4", with a 34 in inseam, and the stock shield was beating me to death in any position other than full down.

I don't really want a barn door on the front of my bike, so I'd thought I'd try the lip first. If I still have to go to a bigger screen, I can transfer the lip over.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
I'm having the same problem when the windshield is down - I'm 5'7". No buffeting - just a loud wind roar right at my helmet hieght. If I raise off the pegs about 4 inches everything quiets down because I get above the compressed air coming off the top of the windshield. When I raise the windshield I just get lots of random buffeting. The rifle V looks interesting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts