FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no expert on the Power Commander (or anything else for that matter) but if you can get an accurate feedback / indication of the A/F ratio while underway with the Wideband sensor then isn't it possible to tweak up your own map to suit the desired performance. I know the "seat of the pants meter" is nowhere near the precision of a dyno test but if you have an upper and lower limit to the allowable A/F ratio shouldn't it be possible to do a run, then adjust the map incrementaly yourself until successive runs are up to the desired output / performance. Is this the intended use for the Wideband sensor setup or is it just really a display tool.

Told ya I wasn't an expert -- sh*t that makes tuning a bike easy just seems to take away the whole suffering / reward / zen thing about bikes that I have always taken for granted. Oh for the joys of a twitchy dellorto or worn Amal.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I don't know about the wideband sensor but with PCIIIusb you could definitely build your own custom fuel maps. You need to know what you're doing or you can really chase your tail though.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I enjoyed making my own maps, and tweaking existing maps. That's one of the prime features of the PCIII.

:)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back in the dark ages using a spark plug colour read did the job of showing the A/F ratio (and general combustion) in the range that was being tested. Its a bit subjective but still works. When you are underway does the PCIII (without wideband sensor) give any feedback on actual runtime A/F.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Nope. You have to use a gas analyzer for that. That's what they do at Dynojet tuning centers; hook the bike to a dyno and a gas analyzer and do dyno runs, monitoring and correcting the A/F for your specific bike.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts