FJR Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Cats & Kittens from WV!

I am looking to purchase a FJR in the very near future. Thought I would introduce myself, as I plan on hanging out here awhile!

Been riding motorcycles since I was 10ish. Been racing motocross since I was 18. I am pushing 61 in April. Semi retired from the Agriculture field, and I work part time at my local cycle shop spinning wrenches. They want me full time, but I only want them part time. :laugh:

I have owned several street bikes in my lifetime. Started out on a T500 Zook when I was 16 and never looked back. My current stable consists of a 17 FZ-10, 14 Valkyrie, 17 KTM 390 Duke, 2 RZ350's, 73 RT3 360, and a 18 Grom. Those are just the plated ones. I wont go into the 10 or so other dirt bikes as this is a street orientated forum.

My last purchase, last fall, the Valkarie, is a neat bike in its own right, but ultimately, not my "cup 'o tea". On one of my last rides late last year, I realized I needed a bike with some wind protection, similar to a Honda Pacific Coast I used to own. Never should of sold it 5 or so years ago. The brakes sucked, and it was under powered but it sure was a smooth ride. So in the very near future I am looking to move the Valk down the road. In the meantime, I am in the market for something else.

Picking a machine with wind protection is not an easy task. Looked around the ole interwebs trying to decide what to go after. Goldwing to heavy and not sporty, nor powerful enough. Took a ride on a FJR that one of the local dealers had for sale, a roach of a bike I might add, and decided an FJR would fit the bill. After a bit of looking around, I narrowed my search to a 2014, for obvious reasons, all the model year upgrades. But I really really like the red paint. I suppose I would settle for another year & color, but it would have to be close and a good deal to boot.

Speaking of close, I did find one about 8 hours from me. 2014, red and 26K miles, and what I would consider a decent deal, considering the current (inflated?) prices. I am suppose to head out Sunday to purchase. I have traveled further for the right machine before, but for some reason I am not excited about this journey. My age, the weather, or possibly the current lack of garage space, something is holding me back and making me rethink this trip. The bike is nice with plenty of upgrades, the owner seems to be a top notch bloke, but the trip is not giving me a warm fuzzy. If the weather improves closer to Sunday, maybe my attitude will change.

So that is my Cliff notes story and current situation. Going to fill out my profile, hang out in the background and try to learn a bit more of the breed. Knowledge is power!

Warm Blue Skies to all,

Whymee

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Welcome Whymee! Move the Valk and make room! Sounds like you've done your homework. Should you end up with the FJR, be aware there is an event called EOM held every year near you, for 2021 it will be in Flatwoods in September. Might see you there if they let me across the border by then.....

Reactions: TJ272

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the greet RaYzerman!

Flatwoods is in my backyard, as far as the internet is considered. Sounds like a tasty event!

Yeah this WooTang virus has put a hold on all the things I want to do too!

Here is to a better year than last! :serious:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Welcome aboard. I'm hoping to make the EOM myself. Maybe we'll see you there.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Welcome. Ahhhh West Virginny. Love it out that way. Great roads in any direction you head. Our annual spring ride takes us out that way every year. If you see 5 FJR's and an ST the week of Memorial Day that'd be us. Stop and say hello.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Welcome. Ahhhh West Virginny. Love it out that way. Great roads in any direction you head. Our annual spring ride takes us out that way every year. If you see 5 FJR's and an ST the week of Memorial Day that'd be us. Stop and say hello.
Well, heck. Now I can't stop thinking about that John Denver song. :serious:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome from the Big Apple. You've come to the right place. You seem a good fit for this forum and machine. Enjoy. :)

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Well, heck. Now I can't stop thinking about that John Denver song. :serious:
My friends and I were just joking about it the other day in our private FB group. It's always queued on my Ipod ready to play when I cross the state line. LOL

Reactions: Mr_Ed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome from "next door" OH!!

Sounds like you've had a lot of great bikes. Love your RZ350. Never drove one of those. I'm a 2-stroke guy at heart. Being 73, I've had a bunch of 'em along the way--all Yamaha machines. A 180, 305 (whining carbs when you opened 'er up), R5, and two different RD 350 machines. The last RD 350, I hopped all up (piston and porting work, polished exhaust chambers, milled .003 off the head, rejetted carbs, racing air filter, and street legal expansion chambers. That bad boy will haul A$$. Stock, it turned 8,500 rpm. When I got through with it, I shifted it at 11,500. NO, and I mean NO POWER below 6k revs. When it hit 6K, ya better be hanging on. Front wheel up in the air in first THREE gears and you were gone. Only a triple cylinder, 2-stroke, modified Kawasaki Mach III outran me in the 1/4 mile. I even outran him in 1/8 mile. Had my RD geared down to a top speed of 115 and I got it all in 1/4 mile. I was shifting that bad boy into 4th gear (6 speed tranny) at 65 MPH! Fun bike. Surprised I'm still alive to tell you about it.

Then it was a Secca 750 to a 1986 Gold Wind, to a 1993 Venture, and then on to a V-Max!

Had two separate V-Max Gen 2 machines that I loved too. Slightly modified and pretty quick. Then on to my 2012 FJR that I've owned 3-years. Of course, it has Power Commander FI set up, K&N filter, and Two Brothers slip ons. Dynoed at 125.4 HP. Serves me well. Much better than bunging on a suitcase on the back of my V-Max when I take a trip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome Whymee and neighbor. If you bite-the-bullet and get an FJR let me know if you're heading to Flatwoods in September.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds like you've had a lot of great bikes. Love your RZ350. Never drove one of those. I'm a 2-stroke guy at heart. Being 73, I've had a bunch of 'em along the way--all Yamaha machines. A 180, 305 (whining carbs when you opened 'er up), R5, and two different RD 350 machines. The last RD 350, I hopped all up (piston and porting work, polished exhaust chambers, milled .003 off the head, rejetted carbs, racing air filter, and street legal expansion chambers. That bad boy will haul A$$. Stock, it turned 8,500 rpm. When I got through with it, I shifted it at 11,500. NO, and I mean NO POWER below 6k revs. When it hit 6K, ya better be hanging on. Front wheel up in the air in first THREE gears and you were gone. Only a triple cylinder, 2-stroke, modified Kawasaki Mach III outran me in the 1/4 mile. I even outran him in 1/8 mile. Had my RD geared down to a top speed of 115 and I got it all in 1/4 mile. I was shifting that bad boy into 4th gear (6 speed tranny) at 65 MPH! Fun bike. Surprised I'm still alive to tell you about it.

Then it was a Secca 750 to a 1986 Gold Wind, to a 1993 Venture, and then on to a V-Max!

Had two separate V-Max Gen 2 machines that I loved too. Slightly modified and pretty quick. Then on to my 2012 FJR that I've owned 3-years. Of course, it has Power Commander FI set up, K&N filter, and Two Brothers slip ons. Dynoed at 125.4 HP. Serves me well. Much better than bunging on a suitcase on the back of my V-Max when I take a trip.
My first "big street bike" was an '82 SECA 750. Had some good times on that bike. It was a leftover languishing on the dealership floor in early 1984 - and at the time they had a yellow and black Kenny Roberts colors RZ350 on the floor for about the same price. Hindsight being what it is - I wish I had sprung for the RZ350 - as it was the last of it's kind, IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know where this thread went? I've searched various ways.
It's listed under the U.S. gatherings subforum.
"Ride outs & Events" > " Ride outs & Events U.S. & Canada"

I also have an event website set up at www.FJREOM.com, but it is under construction as I migrate the store portion to a new location.

Wayne

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
I can't find it any more either...... seems to have evaporated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts