FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows why Yamaha Europe provides such a large variety of mostly really useful accessories for the FJR, while the US only has a few token accessories.
Also, why is the US FJR (FJR1300A) only available in one color, which I happen to like but, would be nice to have a choice though, especially in the country that practically coined the concept of giving the consumer lots of choices

Yamaha Europe
http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/accessories_parts/accessories/acc_overview.jsp?grpId=78&productId=35$2$FJR1300&year=-1&pageNr=1
Yamaha USA
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/accessories/acsubcontaineritems/5/216/532/2366/all/1.aspx

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Because someone there believes they understand the markets and their subtle differences (they don't imho, not fully anyway).

Do Europeans prefer aftermarket bags to factory standards?

Is the American market so limited that one color is all that can risked to be brought in?

These marketing boys had to be begged to bring the bike to the USA in the first place.

Your question is a good one and I don't have the answer.

That said, other than the GPS and the "city cases", I don't see a lot of differences between the accessories offered.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Speaking of the Europe Vs. USA concept.....

Ann and I chatted about this a bit a few weeks ago. When we hired our EU 2003 (US 2004) model for the Alps tour last year, we noted that we seemed to sit "in" the bike more. It seemed like the bike was lower to the ground for some reason (altitude maybe :wink: ). I suppose it could have been that we were fully loaded for a 2 week trip, but I must admit that the bike "felt" different. It looked pretty stock to me, but I really did not pay too much attention to it because I was having so much fun.

Also, I felt much much less of a "second class citizen" on the bike in Europe just FYI. Very respectful drivers over there.

Boof

·
Registered
185 Posts
I felt much much less of a "second class citizen" on the bike in Europe just FYI. Very respectful drivers over there.
You can't be counting the UK as Europe then, the bastards really are out to get us here - or am I just paranoid?? :?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Tony,
You're not paranoid :(
Some of them really are out to get us

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answers, I have a related question:
I'm based in Japan, and as such I actually have to reverse import the FJR back into Japan (don't even ask) :twisted: .
The only upside to this is that technically I can ask the dealer to import the bike from Europe, US or Australia.
Now my question is does anyone know if there are any significant or any other differences b/w the bike specs in the above listed markets? For example, are any of the bikes detuned, speed limited, have additional emissions control overhead (e.g. California spec bikes), etc. For instance all the bikes made/sold in the Japanese market are speed limited to 190kph, which I agree is plenty fast to ensure a closed casket funeral, but I would like to be the one making a decision about how fast I go rather then some useless bureaucrat.
I've heard that the bikes (and cars) from right-hand drive countries have the headlight lenses/deflectors pointing in a different direction to those of the vehicles in the left-hand drive countries. Does this present any real problem or is it mild enough to not worry about?

20valves said:
Because someone there believes they understand the markets and their subtle differences (they don't imho, not fully anyway).
Do Europeans prefer aftermarket bags to factory standards?
Is the American market so limited that one color is all that can risked to be brought in?
These marketing boys had to be begged to bring the bike to the USA in the first place.
Your question is a good one and I don't have the answer.
That said, other than the GPS and the "city cases", I don't see a lot of differences between the accessories offered.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
French bikes are also restricted
UK and Australia lights dip to the left
UK bikes have mph main speedometer with kph inner
US bikes only one colour choice in any given year of import

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
On the Euro spec ones you can change the odometer readings from miles to KM and back by holding in one of the dashboard buttons. If I recall the discussion about this from a couple of years ago I don't think the US bikes did this.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
UK one's are the fastest but you already knew that didnt you! :mrgreen:

James are you the owner thats running the Power Commander with the zero map and accel pump, and if so how's it working out?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
marshman said:
On the Euro spec ones you can change the odometer readings from miles to KM and back by holding in one of the dashboard buttons. If I recall the discussion about this from a couple of years ago I don't think the US bikes did this.
Not true, US bikes also have switchable speedometers. Both my R1's have had this 'feature" as did my US '03 FJR.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I'm gettin' purdy hot for Inga, up there on the police FJR. Too bad her head is so big... but otherwise, I'd hit that! :crylarf:

:)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
20valves said:
marshman said:
Not true, US bikes also have switchable speedometers. Both my R1's have had this 'feature" as did my US '03 FJR.
Oh well. can't win them all. :oops: I'm sure I can remember that someone was complaining that their bike wouldn't change readings. Australian spec bikes perhaps? :|

Must be cracking up, at least I know it's not overwork :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
woody said:
UK one's are the fastest but you already knew that didnt you! :mrgreen:

James are you the owner thats running the Power Commander with the zero map and accel pump, and if so how's it working out?
Woody, it's not me, but wish it was, sure sounds like a sweet setup :p

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
20valves said:
she doesn't look overheated.
'course not... she's got the shorty screen on. ;)

((ummm, was it Canada bikes that wouldn't convert to miles?? - vague recollection))

·
Registered
34 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
20valves said:
she doesn't look overheated.
'course not... she's got the shorty screen on. ;)

((ummm, was it Canada bikes that wouldn't convert to miles?? - vague recollection))

Yup it's a Canadian special feature, pita, does keep me occupied converting the estimated fuel range back and forth on tours.

Chris

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, the Canuck bikes don't shift over to Miles on the odometer. I looked into changing over the whole instrument cluster, but in the end chose to add a Cyclometer, nice easy and gives alot more info. Total daily distances, average speed, maximum speed ...etc. all in Kilometers or Miles.
The Canadian bikes do not come with bagliners, but do have side cases.
They are not detuned like the French and California models. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts