FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Err.... pardon me, but what's the point of doing that? I imagine that would be more uncomfortable. I like LPF-1's because they don't push too hard on the ear canal - I can wear them all day with very little discomfort.
The guy doing the big comparison of many different earplugs just felt that he got more reduction in db that way. That’s really what I’m going for at this point.. maximum db reduction. All those specialty earplugs seem to have less db reduction than hearos and these Howard Leights you mentioned.

Reactions: bounce

·
Super Moderator
4,126 Posts
Yes, cicadas is exactly what it sounds like. More on the left than the right. I read that the left is usually worse from all the years of driving with the window down, years before the dominance of air conditioning.
I can point the moment where my left ear got worse. I was on the way home from buying a Ruger Redhawk (original without scope mounts) in 44 mag. Stopped at "the pond" on the way home and shot a cylinder of ammo. Left ear range for 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,058 Posts
It is not a whine, my friend... it is the delicate "Sewing Machine" sound of a perfectly balanced machine, expressing itself to the world! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, my tinnitus, "filters" out most of those kinds of sounds!

·
Registered
342 Posts
The guy doing the big comparison of many different earplugs just felt that he got more reduction in db that way. That’s really what I’m going for at this point.. maximum db reduction. All those specialty earplugs seem to have less db reduction than hearos and these Howard Leights you mentioned.
Ah, I see. TBH, if you're after maximum NRR you might want to try their Laser Lite (NRR 32) or even MAX model, which is 33. I've used Laser Lite's before, they are OK, but less comfortable for me for extended use, but then again, I got small ears. For me NRR 30 works quite well - cuts down road/wind noise well enough while allowing to listen to the music without cranking my Cardo up to 11.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,058 Posts
Linton, here is an example of the "whine" that we are talking about.

In this clip, if you can filter out the exhaust note, and focus and the oscillating "whrrr" noise, that is the "whine" we are talking about.

I like it, it does not bother me.

Take a listen:
Delicate "Sewing Machine" Sound

Many describe it as a "sewing machine sound. I have a link here, I don't know how well this will work. In this clip, if you can filter out the "tapping" of the needle and bobbin, and just listen to the motor whrring, you may hear what we are describing:

Sewing Machine "Whrr"

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,772 Posts
Hard for me to deciper the video clip, but whining at idle speeds is the balance shafts. Tranny and drive train noises would come at higher speeds while riding in gear.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Ah, I see. TBH, if you're after maximum NRR you might want to try their Laser Lite (NRR 32) or even MAX model, which is 33. I've used Laser Lite's before, they are OK, but less comfortable for me for extended use, but then again, I got small ears. For me NRR 30 works quite well - cuts down road/wind noise well enough while allowing to listen to the music without cranking my Cardo up to 11.
Looks like I actually did! Lol
Textile Saving Font Money handling Banknote

Reactions: Carlson

·
Registered
2020 FJR
30 Posts
Just picked up a 2013 FJR...find the whining sound a bit unpleasant...any suggestions other than spending $1000 for new pipes?
Thanks
Just wait until you're old like I am when your hearing is shot and you'll never know the difference. :oops:

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
'16 1300A / '14 VStar 1300
33 Posts
Wear earplugs and ride the bike for a few thousand miles before you decide to throw money at something that does nothing.
Exactly...Honda ST whined worse and was too soft in turns and corners for it to be a "sport" touring bike for me...
If you hear the whine, you're focusing all wrong...get into to twisties - test your limits when away from cagers....won't hear any whine at all.. I promise!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts