FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone have a good place to order tires from. I have a friend needing a new set.

Also, I am in need of a tank protector of some sort. I am 5"4 and I tend to be right against the rear part of the tank when stopped. I do not like the large type of tank bras but prefer the adhesive clear type of tank protectors. It looks as though it will be a two piece unit for the tank and the gray wrap around area below on my 06. Thanks.

Bryon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Tank Bra

FJR_Mac said:
+1 on the mag-knight. It's not quite a colour match - a bit purplish compared to the cobalt blue. But I like the product otherwise, once you get it molded with the heat gun it forms nicely to the tank. I'm a bit of a clutz with adhesives so the magnetic aspect makes installation very forgiving.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Dwavey said:
FJR_Mac said:
+1 on the mag-knight. It's not quite a colour match - a bit purplish compared to the cobalt blue. But I like the product otherwise, once you get it molded with the heat gun it forms nicely to the tank. I'm a bit of a clutz with adhesives so the magnetic aspect makes installation very forgiving.
I am having a hell of a time getting my replacement MagKnight to fit on my FJR. First the dimension of 4 inches given on the website is misleading because the photo on the TIPS page shows some one holding a measuring tape at a tank that has a removeable gas cap, whereas our bikes have the hinged flip-up cover. I called MagKnight and was told that the 4 inches is from metal to rubber interface where the gas tank metal is folded over to accept the filler cap assemble. Using that dimension, I can still not get the thing to be even close.

The video on the website does not work and I told them in 3 emails about it and still no dice.

I have been trying to be very careful in handling the bra during all the attempts to find a suitable location, but I have had to cut out 1/8 inch symmetic cracks that developed twice just because of the handling: that is 2 cracks, twice, in symmetric locations.

When you locate the bra, does the horizontal bottom edge on the side fall below the bottom edge of the tank?

Is the use of a heat gun necessary?

How much of a ripple can you get rid of? I have ripples that are at 1/8 inch high where the tongue and 2 sides come together on top.

Comments, please.

Slardy

·
Registered
60 Posts

slardy said:
Dwavey said:
FJR_Mac said:
I am having a hell of a time getting my replacement MagKnight to fit on my FJR. First the dimension of 4 inches given on the website is misleading because the photo on the TIPS page shows some one holding a measuring tape at a tank that has a removeable gas cap, whereas our bikes have the hinged flip-up cover. I called MagKnight and was told that the 4 inches is from metal to rubber interface where the gas tank metal is folded over to accept the filler cap assemble. Using that dimension, I can still not get the thing to be even close.

The video on the website does not work and I told them in 3 emails about it and still no dice.

I have been trying to be very careful in handling the bra during all the attempts to find a suitable location, but I have had to cut out 1/8 inch symmetic cracks that developed twice just because of the handling: that is 2 cracks, twice, in symmetric locations.

When you locate the bra, does the horizontal bottom edge on the side fall below the bottom edge of the tank?

How much of a ripple can you get rid of? I have ripples that are at 1/8 inch high where the tongue and 2 sides come together on top.

Comments, please.

Slardy
The use of a heat gun is absolutely necessary. So is a lot of patience. I ended up with one slight ripple on the underside curve of the tank but it's barely noticeable.

Use the 4 inches only as a guide so that you don't end up with a lot of overhang on the bottom. Get it centred on the centre line of the tank; I used a chalk line on both and just lined them up. Then stretch up from the bottom of the tank toward the filler cap. Stretch forward on each side gently and gradually, ensuring the bottom edge lines up with the bottom of the tank where the blue meets the silver. Then stretch upward about half way forward on each side, and sometimes in the middle and ends. Keep the heat gun going while you're doing all this. I had minimal problems and just had to take my time, the bra eventually stretched to meet the odd curves of the tank and now sits down nicely.

If analogies help you, think of it as pastry dough that you're flattening out - work from the centre line and bottom edges to get the dough flat and even.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Comments, please.

Slardy

Here are few pics of my 2006 tank bra. I did use a heat gun and got a little to close in one area. This tank bra is OK but it's not perfect. I believe the HOT weather we are having will help flatten it out more. I did go to the web site today and the installation video was working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HIS2006 MagKnight Instruction Video

HIS2006
I just read your reply, thanks, and immediately tried the website with no success. Are you clicking on the bottom of the TIPS page on the link VID ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts