FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Perhaps after all there were never really that many :?:
Or they've been sold on to people who think the noise is normal

·
Registered
122 Posts
They are probably all in the dealerships waiting for friggin parts. Sept 18 mine went in... Just got inlet valves in the country last week. Go Yamaha customer service for downunder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2003 with 14,000 miles that is in the shop now for the "tick". It's pretty cold in upstate NY now so I'm not in any real hurry to have the bike back. I just hope it is repaired properly by the spring riding season.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Both of ours tick :shock:, never noticed on my 2002 when I was buying it else I wouldn't have bothered, can't believe I didn't hear it :!:.

Mark's 2001 has ticked for ages, but he doesn't seem bothered and has now done 16,000 miles without a problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always felt like the Tick problem was overblown on these boards. It's a huge issue if it happens to you, but I think the percentage of bikes is relatively low. I've got an '05 and the only problem I've had is it keep stretching my arms out. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Tick

My understanding is that the Tickers eventually pass oil through the exhaust. Why not wait for that event before declairing you have a Ticker?

In San Diego,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: The Tick

BAGSTR said:

My understanding is that the Tickers eventually pass oil through the exhaust. Why not wait for that event before declairing you have a Ticker?

In San Diego,
BAGSTR
Most women will declare they're pregnant, long before they deliver the baby, and were able to correctly diagnose their pregnancy well before delivery by using diagnositic criteria developed by many others who had the same condition before them. The "dreaded tic", (like pregnancy) has specific characteristics which separates it from similar conditons, ie so called normal ticking, the last of which is oil consumption.

Can you imagine a bulbous, waddling, milk ladden 8.75 month pregnant woman who states she's not pregnant because she's never delivered any baby?

Can you imagnine a FJR with a pronounced, metalic ticking coming form the front left side of the cylinder block, which has "harmonics" in that it changes with rpm, which is not a ticker because it dosen't smoke?

·
Registered
558 Posts
OK, Own up.... Who got st ryders FJR Pregnant !!! :shock:

You filthy swine.. :x

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
If any oil passes though the cats other than FullySyn they would have to be replaced, as Mineral & Semi will damage the them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My ticker? Traded it off after having a fight with Yamaha who have been fixing them throught the back door so to speak. They wouldn't admit anything upfront and fed me a line that went "as you know motorcycles are inherently noisy". I answered the arrogant little twerp with a comment about how I had been riding , tearing down and building bikes longer than he had hair on his nuts and how they had ought to have a big tub of grease by the door to ease next step in our relationship. In the end the very good people who sold the FJR to me in the first place has a go at Yamaha after I bitched about them not being up to speed on the ticking issue and after a Yamaha rep told me that 1.)there were no '05 tickers, 2.) that only people who don't rev their bikes over 3,000 rpms get tickers and 3.) that anything I read on the internet was hoopla. Waddaya think of that FJR riders? The dealership at first parroted the same horse sh*t and then after realizing how bad the bike was ticking smartened up. Plus I had fired off a blistering letter promising to go as high up the food chain as need be for satisfaction after being fed a line of crap by the rep. The dealership was most unhappy that there weren't any details provided to them so that when a customer had a tick problem the wouldn't look like fools (which they did). In any case the whole issue was spilled out at the General meeting where 450 or so of the top Yamaha dealers, reps and execs were gathered. The problem with my bike was presented and the whole ticking issue was layed out. Kudos to the dealer and to the folks found on the FJRowners forum. I gave the dealer the links enabling them to see what was really going on and they in turn contacted Sunnyside who had been fixing tickers and learned that the heads were being sent back to Japan for analyses etc.. then confronted Yamaha Canada about it. Anyways, not to run on (Warchild knows this whole story) but I can see Yamahas view of the problem. These tickers are totally random, easyriders to hard chargers they can crop up anywhere and they say only 1% tick. I think it may be as high as 7% but how can you do a recall unless you can predict which ones will tick. The bottom line is Yamaha will fix them and I would say they have addressed the heat issue in the '06 bikes and if they don't tick boy there is one hell of a bike. The ticking never slowed my bike down much as I could tell and it ticked for 6,000 kms and I always had a blast running the freakin' bag off it anyway. I will miss it but am not rich enough for 3 bikes so its gone. (The CBX stays and I switched radically to my first VTwin, a Vulcan 2000). So that's the end of my ticker tale. Tick aside, the Feejer is a fine and fast piece of road eating space folding warp speed tire eating rocket sled canyon carving equipment.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sherlock - You're just upset because you didn't try it first! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Wess, my sex life is a private matter between me and my Internet provider :wink:

And I never mistake Horsepower for staying power..

·
Registered
76 Posts
gr8eyes said:
Is it just me or has there been a distinct slow down in the number of reported ticking bike"s? Compared to the 6/04 to 6/05 time frame the issue seems to have died. Am I percecieving this wrong or is it true?

Glenn
There's been a few cases / threads posted on the FJRforum lately, 04 & 05's, some ticking for the second time too!! It used to be thought if you made 10000 miles you were OK, but some of these are higher mileage bikes. :x

·
Registered
168 Posts
biker_911 said:
I always felt like the Tick problem was overblown on these boards. It's a huge issue if it happens to you, but I think the percentage of bikes is relatively low. I've got an '05 and the only problem I've had is it keep stretching my arms out. :D
"overblown" ? I think not biker_.Check out the other boards and you will find cases of your so called imaginary ticking arising on a regular basis.AND, not just the FJR either...another yammi model suffers as well. It`s a very real problem for more and more owners.It is just a matter of time and distance for allot of FJR owners to realize they have a ticker. There have been others before you who have claimed it was an exagerrated issue, untill their bikes started to clatter. The actual % is unknown but, I am sure it`s higher than anybody would want to admit. We covet our possesions afterall and tend to deny the negative accusations...only human... :shock:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Right Here! I have a ticker... not worrying too much about it right now, but I AM buying the extended warranty. I will play the "wait-n-see" game and seee if it gets worse. It is intermitent and hard to diagnose when it isn't present at the dealer. Would love to know it wasn't a big deal... I kinda doubt that will happen though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ticker in for repair

I took my registered ticker in for a fix but to my dismay got the old cam chain tensioner repair stiff. I just told them go ahead and when that doesn't cure the problem which it won't we can go forward and fix the real problem. Plus they told me that the cam chain tensioner is a new part not like the old. Did they change it from the first years to the present? We will see how much it takes to fix the exhaust valves. This bike has been heard on the Holeshot sound byte and diagnoised by many FJR gurus at big FJR events. Yamaha are you reading?

·
Registered
44 Posts
ticker getting fixed

Well after the cam chain didn't stop the engine noise the dealer called Yamaha to keep looking. Long story short, they are going to fix it. The header dropped and carbon and oil in both outside cylinders, I don't know what # they are and oil seepage. So all new valves etc. Plus I get a free radiator service.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts