FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best/quickest way to remove these annoying fluffy, sticky leftovers wins!!!

Current ideas:
  • Naphtha and some hard work (probably effective but annoying)
  • MEK and not much work (probably works TOO well and takes your finish too)
  • Citrus cleaner (never lives up to its hype IMO)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goo gone. Brake cleaner. Isopropyl. WD40.

Belt sander.
How do you like your busa btw? I’ve always wanted to own one at least for a short time. They are sort of cliche’ where i live, but that’s just because it’s such a good platform most likely, that people make them silly all the time. Id love to have a jet black one in stock form

·
Registered
598 Posts
Kerosene, WD40, and/or methylhydrate. Finish cleaning with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

Haynes

·
Registered
956 Posts
Goo Gone “Pro”. I only recently discovered there are two strengths of Goo Gone. I was using what I think they call “Household” and was really disappointed with it on my wheel weight adhesive and was about to give up. I remembered I had another container of Goo Gone. I had assumed it was the same, but saw the Pro name on it. Sure enough, it was a night and day difference. It took the adhesive from the weights off very quickly.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
30 Posts
The last time I had to do that after a tire change (the service I paid handsomely for their work left the glue from the removed weights on the rim), I used a generous douse of rubbing alcohol (91% I think) sprayed closely from a squirt bottle, then a small paper towel soaked in the same alcohol carefully placed over the top of the glue area for about 5 minutes. I made all efforts to contain the alcohol spread over the glued area only, sparing the tire etc. from the liquid. Finally, I attached the remaining residue with a Mylar (plastic) kitchen scraper blade and a blue shop towel (also soaked in rubbing alcohol). This made short work of removing he stuck-on adhesive, and left the wheel spotless. There may be many more effective cleaners out there, but this is what I had available in the house at the time. It did the job well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
How do you like your busa btw? I’ve always wanted to own one at least for a short time. They are sort of cliche’ where i live, but that’s just because it’s such a good platform most likely, that people make them silly all the time. Id love to have a jet black one in stock form
I've had three of them, 05, 09, 13. The 09 was my favorite, enjoyed them all.
I was drooling all over a new gold/black 22 a couple days ago in a showroom, but pushing 70 yrs old, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger.

Reactions: AtlRiderrr

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
For glue residues you want a slow acting solvent like naptha, mineral spirits or GooGone. Soak a cloth and let it sit for a while. After you're done use isopropanol to clean the oil residue off. Or, if you're lucky, the OldJeep roll it off trick sometimes works faster.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You forgot wood chisel and acetylene torch ;-)
Well I’ve the propane torch i heated the rear axle nut with🤷🏻‍♂️😆

• Haha
Reactions: ReRose

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, if you install the rear axle nut with the specified 90 lbs-ft of torque, you can have problems taking it off.
I did 75ft/lbs on an actual torque wrench this time. And it STILL felt like alot..lol

Putting the front one at 66 feels like tons as well.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Kerosene, WD40, and/or methylhydrate. Finish cleaning with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

Haynes
Same, sort of. I use WD40 and rub on it for a few minutes, and it rolls off in little balls. I then clean that spot with alcohol.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What ended up working for me was WD40 soak and then use a paint mixing stick to scrape the bulky stuff (doesn’t scratch). Then more WD40 (or naptha) on a shop towel for the rest. WD40 blows everything else I’ve tried out of the water as far as an all purpose wheel cleaner/polish on this satin finish too! Works amazing!

Reactions: Liquidsilver

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
685 Posts
Anyone ever try Goof Off? I use it to take off the residual glue from wine bottles when I remove the old labels. I reuse the bottles because I make my own wine so everyone saves me their empty bottles hoping to get them back filled. :LOL:

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Same, sort of. I use WD40 and rub on it for a few minutes, and it rolls off in little balls. I then clean that spot with alcohol.
That's exactly what I do. And a little plastic scraper. Sometimes I get lazy and say I'll work on it later. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts