FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know my wife bought me a 2005 FJR1300 for father's day.
I've done a search on the heat issues and have a question.
What are the basic things to be done to help?
It's 90+ here and my tank feels like it's boiling on my legs. My feet sweat from the heat and I'm ready to follow ya'lls ideas...RIGHT AWAY!

Thanks for the help, Wes

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Ride with the windshield off, and experience that dynamic before you get busy with other changes.

:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bounce said:

Ditch the shorts and flip flops and wear real riding gear.
I wear Dockers pants, Dockers type shoes and a crash jacket.
I feel the heat from the tank and at my feet.
Why did you ASSUME that I wore flip flops and shorts???

·
Registered
405 Posts
Bounce usually assumes the worst. A full tank absorbs more heat before it begins to cook your privates, and gas from the pump is cold. Lots of threads about heat on the 05, check them out. Often mentioned is foil-faced bubble material placed under the tank to reflect heat back towards the engine. Wear boots, at least over your ankle, and high socks seem to keep me cooler. It may be a warm bike, but it also goes like a bat out of hell---maybe part of it's heritage?

·
Registered
949 Posts
The heat issue and accompanying fixes are VERY well documented. Try a few searches and between modifying the engine running heat and the re direction of heated air you should get a positive result.

·
Super Moderator
3,947 Posts
wesexcellence said:
bounce said:
#1 Ditch the shorts and flip flops and wear real riding gear.
I wear Dockers pants, Dockers type shoes and a crash jacket.
I feel the heat from the tank and at my feet.
Why did you ASSUME that I wore flip flops and shorts???
[not an assumption of the worst. an assumption of the most common/obvious. isn't it best to eliminate that before going on to other, more complex sultions?]

Because that's usually the case when someone first talks about "serious heat" off a bike in the summer. Using street clothing (of any kind) when riding allows road rash to get to you faster than the heat.

Gear up, d00d!

Jeans (heavier than Dockers), while better than shorts and flip-flops, only last a fraction of a second when exposed the asphault. It's easier to wipe off sweat than to wipe on skin. Get some overpants and decent over-the-ankle boots and not only will they protect you from the pavement, they'll also insulate you from the motor of even an air cooled V-Twin. Try wearing some substantive gear before you start hacking on your bike. The desert Nomads wear layers that breath, but you never see them wearing one layer of light cotton clothing.

If, after trying better protective gear, you still want more to mitigate your riding pleasure, one place to start looking is:

http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/insul/insul.html

·
Registered
56 Posts
Initially, on buying the bike and not yet joining the FJR sites, I couldn't understand all the whining about the heat. It became clear to me when I donned a pair of perforated, armored pants. My various protective overpants and other textile armored pants had kept the heat from bothering me.

To back up what was said here about wearing protective pants: several riders and I did a motorcycle safety demonstration at the local museum of nature and science. We set up a belt sander and ran it at the equivalent of road surface moving at 35 mph. We applied typical cotton material to our moving road. It dissappeared in a puff of white dust instantaneously.

We applied some 16 oz denim (the heavy, good material). It dissappeared in a cloud of blue fibers instantly.

We did the same with balllistic Cordura nylon and racing leather. Neither showed even a mark.

So, you may be able to solve two problems with one pair of protective pants, heat and road rash.

Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too ride an 06 FJR in Daytona and to answer your heat problem, It's simply hot outside. Try riding West into the State early in the morning and loop back out to the coast by the afternoon to avoid the thunderstorms. Other than that, wait for the fall.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daytona FJR said:
I too ride an 06 FJR in Daytona and to answer your heat problem, It's simply hot outside. Try riding West into the State early in the morning and loop back out to the coast by the afternoon to avoid the thunderstorms. Other than that, wait for the fall.
I'm not whining just curious what works.
The reason I joined this forum is to gain valuable from the experience of others.
Hopefully I'll, in time, be able to impart some wisdom to future newbies.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cromiet heat mods help some, especially if you "believe" that they will help (you know, the placebo effect and all). Also a section of foil bubble wrap below the tank to help, but eventually the heat hits the tank. Keep the tank half up if possible, and never ride to empty. If you have flip flops, keep them between your thighs and the tank. Otherwise good riding pants really do make a difference. I have a set of Joe Rocket Alter Ego with vents along the outside of the thighs and ballistic nylon elsewhere. The warmth of the pants are far offset by keeping the tank heat Aside from that, the faster you ride the more cooling breeze you have!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts