FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
And thanks to "Nats," I am listening to the whole effing album now.....

31 years later is still does NOT disappoint!!

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
85 Posts
I'm 49, picked up the 2003 FJR two years ago in 2020. I was looking for an ST1100 and a friend brought this to my attention. Can't say I'm disappointed though. This bike makes number 10 in the search for "the one". I've come to realize there is no "one" bike that checks all the boxes. The FJR checked a lot of them though and showed me some more I didn't know about. It's pretty close to the most modern bike I've owned, next to a 2005 KLR650 (apples and oranges there). The wife and I spend quite a bit of time riding two up.

(edited to be more on topic)

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FJR1300 Blue
1 Posts
My 1st post, 57, 3rd bike, riding since ‘77 (off road) 1986 on street. I’m very impressed with my new 1300. But dropped it today and screwed up my right side bag, mirror & panel. I’m beside myself. Pristine to scratches everywhere! Just sitting on my driveway.
that being said, I’m anxious to learn about this bike from you guys…JM

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hmmmmm....Interesting thread. I'll be 79 in just 3 months and I still enjoy my '10 FJR as well as the '93 R1100RSL now and then especially with its new Dominator muffler. I love the sound and with less back pressure she really runs nice.:) Mostly go for day rides now a couple hundred miles and not too far inland because of traffic and heat issues. Just mounted new tires on both bikes and I wouldn't be surprised if its for the last time but you never know. Not going to sell my tire change equipment...yet.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
85 Posts
Hmmmmm....Interesting thread. I'll be 79 in just 3 months and I still enjoy my '10 FJR as well as the '93 R1100RSL now and then especially with its new Dominator muffler. I love the sound and with less back pressure she really runs nice.:) Mostly go for day rides now a couple hundred miles and not too far inland because of traffic and heat issues. Just mounted new tires on both bikes and I wouldn't be surprised if its for the last time but you never know. Not going to sell my tire change equipment...yet.
That is awesome! 79, Good on you, sir.

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
123 Posts
Don't be jealous. After 20 yrs of riding them, all roads get boring as h3ll. I go elsewhere for my riding now, often skipping the mtns. As we say, "it's just another curvy road. They all look the same."
Russ, You blaspheme 😃😃😃. But then again I’ve only had 4 years to try and ride these mtn roads. Still love them and want to ride more of them. Really want to go back and ride Hwy 16 from Marion Va to Tazwell Va. Also, Hwy 421 out of Mountain City Tn is as good as the Dragon, IMHO

·
Registered
319 Posts
Russ, You blaspheme 😃😃😃. But then again I’ve only had 4 years to try and ride these mtn roads. Still love them and want to ride more of them. Really want to go back and ride Hwy 16 from Marion Va to Tazwell Va. Also, Hwy 421 out of Mountain City Tn is as good as the Dragon, IMHO
The totd was fun the first couple times, but this year we rode down rather than trailer the bikes. Hwy 16 (think it's called "the snake", or "the gambler", or both), was hands down, the most fun I've ever had riding a motorcycle. I didn't think the "workout" was ever going to end, and found myself laughing in my helmet.
It looked like the guys paving the road gave up, but we didn't....

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Rte. 16 is known as the Back of The Dragon. Way more fun that the Tail. Way less populated. Way less packs of "rolling thunder" to clog things up.

I think the "Snake" is 426? Still my favorite is 181. Something about those 80MPH sweepers feels like what the FJR was designed for. Yes I enjoy the tight technical stuff too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Rte. 16 is known as the Back of The Dragon. Way more fun that the Tail. Way less populated. Way less packs of "rolling thunder" to clog things up.

I think the "Snake" is 426? Still my favorite is 181. Something about those 80MPH sweepers feels like what the FJR was designed for. Yes I enjoy the tight technical stuff too.
Yup....my bad. 16/botd was a ton of fun, and imo, better than the tail.
The pic I put up was actually from hwy 209 in NC, which is so nice, they named it twice.....it goes by "the rattler" and "the gambler". (I had to look it up, we were on so many juicy roads, with nicknames).

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,077 Posts
Keep going to the north end of 16 after Tazewell, there's tons more fun to be had.... then turn around and take your pick of 14, 18, 19, 20.... Just zoom in on your Googly maps, there's crooked stuff everywhere......

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
117 Posts
I'm thinking of a couple day ride up 16 to the Ohio river. 16 starts about 20 miles from my house in the same county, just to say I've ridden it start to finish. It originated as an Indian trading path. I've ridden up through Tazewell but is does look interesting all the way up, with the exception of the part that goes through Charlotte.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,690 Posts
I'm thinking of a couple day ride up 16 to the Ohio river. 16 starts about 20 miles from my house in the same county, just to say I've ridden it start to finish. It originated as an Indian trading path. I've ridden up through Tazewell but is does look interesting all the way up, with the exception of the part that goes through Charlotte.
That's a good way to see things you wouldn't normally. I've done the Sea-Mountain Hwy (Hwy 9) from Black Mtn, NC to Cherry Grove, SC ; NC Hwy 211 from Candor, NC to Southport, NC and several others.

·
Registered
11 Posts

You're gonna hate me Whooska, I live 30 minutes south of where 181 goes from Morganton NC north. I am like you and absoutely love that road. I ride that all the time and just might rode it tommorow. If you go down south of Morganton you need to find old 18, another awesome road. Its kind of funny how they have all these fancy names for the mountain highways but once you get in the mountains of NC, TN, VA and WV you can't swing a cat without hitting a great winding road with it.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Hate you? Hell no! Just jealous. LOL

You're right, so many great roads. Have done 221, 16, 18, 19, 20 (I think). Since I only get to ride roads like that twice a year, it takes 100% of concentration to keep up with my buddies. We're usually running a pretty fast pace. So I really don't know what roads I'm on until dinner conversation recaps the day.

We like 181 so much we usually ride it both ways. :giggle:

Reactions: Sloppy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hate you? Hell no! Just jealous. LOL

You're right, so many great roads. Have done 221, 16, 18, 19, 20 (I think). Since I only get to ride roads like that twice a year, it takes 100% of concentration to keep up with my buddies. We're usually running a pretty fast pace. So I really don't know what roads I'm on until dinner conversation recaps the day.

We like 181 so much we usually ride it both ways. :giggle:
I had a new tire put one the rear today and had to break it in. I went on old 18 (just north of where I live, to Morganton and had to hit 181, (had a little rain near Brown Mountain overview but still great), went toward Linville Falls and came back home via 221 through Marion. Helluva way to break a tire in! BTW, next time you and your friends are out this way, PM me and stop by Casa de Sloppy for a cold brew. Maybe I can join up for a bit of your trek here in Western NC>

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 1st post, 57, 3rd bike, riding since ‘77 (off road) 1986 on street. I’m very impressed with my new 1300. But dropped it today and screwed up my right side bag, mirror & panel. I’m beside myself. Pristine to scratches everywhere! Just sitting on my driveway.
that being said, I’m anxious to learn about this bike from you guys…JM
I did the same last week. Long boring story how I did it, but the tank, right mirror (especially scratched) and right bag got some scratches.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I had a new tire put one the rear today and had to break it in. I went on old 18 (just north of where I live, to Morganton and had to hit 181, (had a little rain near Brown Mountain overview but still great), went toward Linville Falls and came back home via 221 through Marion. Helluva way to break a tire in! BTW, next time you and your friends are out this way, PM me and stop by Casa de Sloppy for a cold brew. Maybe I can join up for a bit of your trek here in Western NC>
OK now you're just rubbing it in. :D

I should be down that way about the 2nd week of September. Still TBD. I'll shoot you a PM if/when details are set.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts