FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Last October 2021, at 57 years old, I sold my Old-Man Gold Wing and purchased a pristine 2014 FJR 1300 A with only 1838 miles on it. I trailered it home (about 4.5 hours each way) and completed an oil change and final drive fluid change as well as gas tank drain and fill. It was nearly perfect. The only item that needed attention was a missing nut from one of the two left mirror mounting bolts inside the fairing. It seems this particular factory nut has a nasty habit of vibrating loose or in my case off. So for 40 cents and 20 minutes of labor, I replace the nut with one that won't vibrate loose. Otherwise, this FJR was/is in like-new condition. It also came with the touring windshield installed and the original sport windshield in the box. I have ordered a Misgel Ram Mount which connects where the two bolts hold the tank in place behind the handlebars and look forward to getting my phone/GPS mounted. in the meantime, she just won't let me ride slow. I swear I am trying but she just won't let me. ~grin~

I've now put a few thousand miles on her, and she is amazing. She is comfortable enough for 3-5 hour rides. It's not exactly the couch that was the Gold Wing but at now 58 years old, I'm not hurting either. And fun? Oh yeah! It is way more fun than the Gold Wing. I can keep up with almost anything on the road or put it in tour mode and sail down the highway or back roads without a care in the world. She is also lovely in the twisties.

Some day I may move back to a Wing, but It won't be soon. I can tell you that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. I have been visiting off and on for quite some time.I think it is great forum and i thank all those here that i have been able to learn from. I am known as Pete in the real world. I live in a place called Taranaki, in the North Island of New Zealand. I am now riding my 3rd FJR, first was an 03, next a 07, but a few years ago after intense pressure from the family... wife, kids and gran kids i sold the 07 and went to a smaller and lighter bike. I lost a bit of enjoyment from riding as a result but it was still riding. 2 years ago i stopped in at the local dealer for a new rear shoe, and spotted a silver 2001 FJR at the back of the show room. I had a look at it, mileage was low 60,000 kms, approx 36000 miles, condition was not perfect but too me was great for it`s age. 1 owner, a Padre. I left my bike there and rode the 01 home and it is still with me. The family got over it, lol in the end.
I turned 72 yesterday and to celebrate my birthday i decided seeing it is winter here i would go for a short ride, 1 mile for each of my years of living. So i geared up, put my son in the V46 top case and headed out.
This bike is my 31st bike and i think it is my favorite of them all. I had to write this after seeing all the comments about the various ages of FJR riders here. I am 5 foot 8 inches short and weigh 10st 1. I
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle helmet Motor vehicle
can still get the beast onto mainstand on my own. Love the idea that the bike can be as docile as i want or i can cut lose when i feel the urge, it handles great............. 1 very happy FJR owner. i will try to post a pic with this.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
...........So i geared up, put my son in the V46 top case and headed out.......
Is this a New Zealand expression? What does it mean?

• Wow
Reactions: Barsinister

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Don't think it didn't cross my mind! 😁

• Haha
Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. I have been visiting off and on for quite some time.I think it is great forum and i thank all those here that i have been able to learn from. I am known as Pete in the real world. I live in a place called Taranaki, in the North Island of New Zealand. I am now riding my 3rd FJR, first was an 03, next a 07, but a few years ago after intense pressure from the family... wife, kids and gran kids i sold the 07 and went to a smaller and lighter bike. I lost a bit of enjoyment from riding as a result but it was still riding. 2 years ago i stopped in at the local dealer for a new rear shoe, and spotted a silver 2001 FJR at the back of the show room. I had a look at it, mileage was low 60,000 kms, approx 36000 miles, condition was not perfect but too me was great for it`s age. 1 owner, a Padre. I left my bike there and rode the 01 home and it is still with me. The family got over it, lol in the end.
I turned 72 yesterday and to celebrate my birthday i decided seeing it is winter here i would go for a short ride, 1 mile for each of my years of living. So i geared up, put my son in the V46 top case and headed out.
This bike is my 31st bike and i think it is my favorite of them all. I had to write this after seeing all the comments about the various ages of FJR riders here. I am 5 foot 8 inches short and weigh 10st 1. I View attachment 86629 View attachment 86630 can still get the beast onto mainstand on my own. Love the idea that the bike can be as docile as i want or i can cut lose when i feel the urge, it handles great............. 1 very happy FJR owner. i will try to post a pic with this.
Is this a New Zealand expression? What does it mean?
Bit of a grin and a few tears here.................. My son passed away last November and i promised him i would take him for a ride on his birthday and my birthday for as long as i can ride. He was cremated ( as was his wish) hence he was in the Givi V46 . But i did take him out of the top box when ever i stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I too apologize. I meant no disrespect what so ever. My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your son. And your tribute to him is heart warming.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just turned 61....always wanted FJR but have had limited finances and garage room. 2 years ago when I totaled my 87 Venture after 30+ years of dragging saddlebags, and walked away...:) I knew it was time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
62 bought a 2010 FJR around 8 years ago I quit riding and sold my Concours 1000 due to a medical issue (inner ear) which they said would never go away well they were wrong I really debated another old Concours but a friend made me a offer on his FJR that I could not pass up (he went gold wing )

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm just shy of 62, been riding since I was 17, so 45 years give or take. I've always leaned to UJM-styled bikes and ST's. Bought my first FJR, a '16A model, 3 years ago but only kept her for two years. My mistake, sad to say. Went back to another UJM- a '21 Z900RS- which I modified into a lightweight ST but it failed as a 2-up bike. So after $2gs worth of mods, and one year later, sold her at a significant loss and started shopping true ST's again, landing on FJR #2, this time a '15A model. I'm not unhappy.
Lee

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'm just shy of 62, been riding since I was 17, so 45 years give or take. I've always leaned to UJM-styled bikes and ST's. Bought my first FJR, a '16A model 3 years ago but only kept her for two years. My mistake, sad to say. Went back to another UJM- a '21 Z900RS- which I modified into a lightweight ST but it failed as a 2-up bike. So after $2gs worth of mods, and one year later, sold her at a significant loss and started shopping true ST's again, landing on FJR #2, this time a '15A model. I'm not unhappy.
Lee
Lee: Sounds and looks like you are "Back In Black" :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
As much as I love AC/DC the '015 FJR is Liquid Graphite. More or less metallic gray.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
OK...
First, Great Band!!
Second, Great Song!! RIP Bon Scott!!!
Third, That bike is badass in either Graphite Gray or Black!! Nice accent on the saddle!

Well done, on all counts! 🤘😝🤘

101 - 120 of 143 Posts