FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
42 and have another customized bike that is great for shorter day trips with maximum hoonage in mind. I needed a bike that could rip like a sportbike… (didn’t need to be SS level because you can’t really use 50% of those bikes on the street anyway without risking your neck)…. but also be comfortable for loong days 300+ miles and multiple days. Basically a sport bike you can take across the country in relative style and grace…and that’s exactly what it is. Even loaded down with the side cases and a small top case, i got a couple compliments from teenagers mind you…the usual “nice bike man!”…that you’d usually expect on a dedicated sportbike. So i don’t get greedy and expect more, when it delivers so damn much already.

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Premium Member
2022 FJR
40 Posts
I'm 48 and have own many different styles of bikes over the years, but the FJR still remains one of my favorite. I bought my first FJR, an '07, when I was 33 and just pick up my '22 a few months ago.

·
Registered
553 Posts
So, I have been stuck with bikes that are dear to me, however the demographic that they serve is far from my own. I'm 42 but I own (and have owned for many years) old people bikes.

Who is buying FJRs from an age perspective?
We're all ages from 30somethings to 70somethings. If you want a sport tourer, the FJR leads the pack!

Crotch rockets are nice for around town, but horrible for long distance. Road-Glides and Wings are too cumbersome for local runs to the store. The FJR hits that sweet spot in the middle. Fast local and comfortable long distance.
Yes, swinging my GL1800 Gold Wing around town takes effort especially around tight parking lots.

After 40+ years on Goldwings I made the switch to my FJR AT THE AGE OF 75 and have enjoyed it for 2 years.

Had an 2005 FJR then a 2003 GL1800 and thinking really hard about going back to a newer FJR with cruise control and the same 6.6 gallon fuel tank and only losing highway pegs (which Garauld can help with).

Bought my GL1800 Wing in my early 50s and now approaching 60. Wife found it for me, she loved the color. She also has a great eye for mint SW revolvers and vintage Colt Pythons and Anaconda's.

Like the GL1800 and it has 2x more farkle options compared to our FJRs. But ride with more spirited riders and would like a bike that is more nimble in the twisties and can "punch" it occasionally.

Again, the FJR crowd are from multiple generations. Just went on a mixed brand MC ride, two weeks ago with Harleys, 2 Gold Wings, Triumphs, a Katana, sport bikes and one FJR1300 - guy was maybe 33.

Also a favorite bike for RED (ride every day) commuters like I used to be. With a GIVI top trunk and those saddlebags you can commute to work and bring a bag or two of groceries home!

Been trying to look for other 500-600ish lbs sport touring bikes and have come back to the FJR. When you look at the IBR finishers, the FJR is historical!

Can't fit all of us into any boxes.

Reactions: mikester

·
Registered
477 Posts
We're all ages from 30somethings to 70somethings. If you want a sport tourer, the FJR leads the pack!

Yes, swinging my GL1800 Gold Wing around town takes effort especially around tight parking lots.

Had an 2005 FJR then a 2003 GL1800 and thinking really hard about going back to a newer FJR with cruise control and the same 6.6 gallon fuel tank and only losing highway pegs (which Garauld can help with).

Bought my GL1800 Wing in my early 50s and now approaching 60. Wife found it for me, she loved the color. She also has a great eye for mint SW revolvers and vintage Colt Pythons and Anaconda's.

Like the GL1800 and it has 2x more farkle options compared to our FJRs. But ride with more spirited riders and would like a bike that is more nimble in the twisties and can "punch" it occasionally.

Again, the FJR crowd are from multiple generations. Just went on a mixed brand MC ride, two weeks ago with Harleys, 2 Gold Wings, Triumphs, a Katana, sport bikes and one FJR1300 - guy was maybe 33.

Also a favorite bike for RED (ride every day) commuters like I used to be. With a GIVI top trunk and those saddlebags you can commute to work and bring a bag or two of groceries home!

Been trying to look for other 500-600ish lbs sport touring bikes and have come back to the FJR. When you look at the IBR finishers, the FJR is historical!

Can't fit all of us into any boxes.
Love the metallic orange color!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I have been stuck with bikes that are dear to me, however the demographic that they serve is far from my own. I'm 42 but I own (and have owned for many years) old people bikes.

Who is buying FJRs from an age perspective?
I was 66 when I got mine. Had a Kaw ZZR1200 that flew and I loved, but wrist issues and comfort forced selling, but handled like a dream. Had a Honda Hurricane 1000 before that. See the trend and the need for speed. (Also like blowing off most BMW cars as the owners think they own the road.)

·
Premium Member
4,064 Posts
I am fascinated by the steering geometry!!
It's not just steering geometry. Compare a late model BMW or C-14 to an FJR. The BMW and Kawasaki have that rather complex two piece drive shaft to counter shaft jacking. The FJR does it with geometry, I suspect a somewhat longer drive shaft mostly.

Plus, compared to a C-14, the FJR is quite a bit simpler.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Ok, so we have a majority of OLD (I mean, "OLDER") FJR owners. :D So far I've seen one 38 year old owner. Anyone else younger than 38 who
will actually admit their age?

• Haha
Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
250 Posts
I’m 35. Got the FJR at 32. Only the second bike I’ve owned. A couple of our European brethren have mentioned they’re in their 20’s. I love the FJR but I am wishing I had a small/light bike to hoon around on. Hoping to add a second bike to the stable at some point.

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
117 Posts
57 physical age, and according to my wife I have a 14 year old's mental age.

Geriatric crotch rocket was the best I heard so far. I thought about a Goldwing and even a Harley, but figured I have a few more years of a little more sporting type of riding left. My friends all left the sporting life for the Harley thing.

·
Registered
'09 FJR1300AE
3 Posts
I'll be 80 in October and bought my '09 AE model fresh out of the crate in Dec. '11. I love the AE but I really wish it had cruise control. Every time I think about trading up for cruise control and 6 speed but I can't do it for losing the paddle shifting. It has always shared riding duties with other bikes but they are gone and the AE is still here. Honda's DCT's are looking pretty good.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,690 Posts
Geriatric crotch rocket was the best I heard so far.
My wife is not a bike person at all. After I brought home my new '07 she never said a word for about a week. Then she asked, "is that what they call a crotch rocket?" I said, "no honey. This is a crotchety rocket- the slower, more comfortable version for grumpy old guys." She seemed satisfied with that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Came off a ST1300 and traded it in for my 2014 FJR (new) almost 8 years ago. I will be turning 73 in a couple months and am still riding it. Just got back from a 100 mile morning ride today.

Wheel Tire Sky Mountain Vehicle

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
59 Posts
Came off a ST1300 and traded it in for my 2014 FJR (new) almost 8 years ago. I will be turning 73 in a couple months and am still riding it. Just got back from a 100 mile morning ride today.

View attachment 86521
How on Earth do you ride in such an ugly and boring environment? :)

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
327 Posts
Just barely 45. I spent a few years riding an adventure bike - 2007 Vstrom DL1000. I did indeed have a number of dirt road adventures. The most memorable was probably the near-100 miles of dirt through national forests one January.

An idiot ran into me head-on last May, and ruined my summer, plus the Vstrom. When I got back to riding shape again, I bought another Vstrom, this time a 2019 DL650XT. I did not feel ready for the weight of the DL1000/DL1050, and also I got a good deal on the DL650.

The DL650 has been good for me, but it's time for it to go. I do not have the stomach for "adventure" riding any more. Too worried about getting hurt again. If I'm sticking to pavement, outside of maybe a well-maintained forest road, might as well have a road-oriented bike.

The Vstrom has its merits, but it is not the 2-up machine we want now. It could "probably" be made decent for 2-up with extensive mods, but this would take time, money, and still wouldn't be as good as the FJR.

·
Registered
337 Posts
How on Earth do you ride in such an ugly and boring environment? :)
I just suck it up and March / Ride on. I know it is tough but someone has to sacrifice. Might as well be me.:giggle:

·
Registered
2017 FJR1300
18 Posts
Got my FJR last year at 55 yrs old. Would have got one sooner had funds allowed. Traditionally rode 600cc sport bikes but wanted something with luggage capacity and better for a longer ride. This bike ticks all the boxes. There’s a really good reason it’s called the ballistic sofa.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am 51. When I purchased mine it was from a guy in his 70's. When I took it into the dealer I was told they called them the "geriatric rocket" and they are for old guys who like to go fast but aren't flexible enough for a modern sport bike. To be honest, I felt a bit offended. As an older dude I didn't have much of a platform to argue from but whatever.
I just turned 64. For those days when I just want to go for a long comfortable ride, I hop on the FJR, of course this is most of the time.
For those days when I feel a decade or 2 younger, I hop on my KTM 1290 SDR which just happens to have had a bit of work done to it so that I have 187hp and 105lbft at the wheel. Sometimes I'll ride both of them the same day.
I'm 61. Haven't owned on FJR but have ridden some quite a bit, and owned a gen 1 Concours for 10 yrs. All of the comments about the FJR being more comfortable are interesting. I find my Bandit 1250, SV1000 (ergo modified), and 1290 Super Duke just as comfortable and a lot more fun through the twisty stuff (x-country work has been accomplished by trailer for 25 yrs) due to being much lighter and quicker. Oh, I do 500 mi days at times, but very little of it straight. Most comfortable bike I've owned was a gen 1 V-Strom 1000 - a lot more leg room.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts