FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2012 FJR1300A
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been stuck with bikes that are dear to me, however the demographic that they serve is far from my own. I'm 42 but I own (and have owned for many years) old people bikes.

Who is buying FJRs from an age perspective?

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
60 Posts
I am 51. When I purchased mine it was from a guy in his 70's. When I took it into the dealer I was told they called them the "geriatric rocket" and they are for old guys who like to go fast but aren't flexible enough for a modern sport bike. To be honest, I felt a bit offended. As an older dude I didn't have much of a platform to argue from but whatever.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
I am 51. When I purchased mine it was from a guy in his 70's. When I took it into the dealer I was told they called them the "geriatric rocket" and they are for old guys who like to go fast but aren't flexible enough for a modern sport bike. To be honest, I felt a bit offended. As an older dude I didn't have much of a platform to argue from but whatever.
The nickname for the FZ1 is the couch rocket ;) That one I bought from a guy in his early 70's

Reactions: Racoonguy

·
Registered
121 Posts
i just turned 26 and got my gen 1 fjr in 2018 i believe i've always liked how they looked and i'm a fan of long distance riding so seemed like a good match for me on top of that it's very easy to get parts for the bike here so thats always a plus for me too

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
OldAF! I bought my 2006 in 2013, so I was 49?

Reactions: SnuffySmith

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just turned 64. For those days when I just want to go for a long comfortable ride, I hop on the FJR, of course this is most of the time.
For those days when I feel a decade or 2 younger, I hop on my KTM 1290 SDR which just happens to have had a bit of work done to it so that I have 187hp and 105lbft at the wheel. Sometimes I'll ride both of them the same day.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm 67, and since Saturday, 4 of us rolled ~1650kms (with many more to come), from S Ontario to Radford VA, where I'm at right now. I scraped some hard parts today, for the 1st time on my fjr.
BTW.......since yesterday morning, I've become very jealous of those of you who live in these parts, and get to ride these phenomenal roads at your leisure.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,702 Posts
BTW.......since yesterday morning, I've become very jealous of those of you who live in these parts, and get to ride these phenomenal roads at your leisure.
Don't be jealous. After 20 yrs of riding them, all roads get boring as h3ll. I go elsewhere for my riding now, often skipping the mtns. As we say, "it's just another curvy road. They all look the same."

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
255 Posts
Don't be jealous. After 20 yrs of riding them, all roads get boring as h3ll. I go elsewhere for my riding now, often skipping the mtns. As we say, "it's just another curvy road. They all look the same."
I get it. Still jealous. I have some okay rides through “horse farm country” here in Central Jersey but there are maybe 4 fun curves to be found and endless cages in the way.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
255 Posts
I’m sorry, but “geriatric rocket” cracked me up. I agree it’s an off color remark, especially to a customer.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I get it. Still jealous. I have some okay rides through “horse farm country” here in Central Jersey but there are maybe 4 fun curves to be found and endless cages in the way.
I feel your pain. Nothing but farms here too. I'll go out of my way to get to the GS Parkway just so I can speed up for exit/entrance ramps. That's sad. Where are you located? I'm in Vineland and there's another FJRer in Mays Landing that we keep saying we have to hook up for a ride.

I bought my FJR because as I got older I found I'd rather ride to good roads and out of state friends than trailer. I'm 64 BTW and had my share of sport bikes and track days.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
2003 & 2013 FJR1300A
258 Posts
I was 40 when I bought my gen1 and 45 when I bought my gen3. Pretty sure Keith, who I bought the gem3 from said he was 69 and it was his 3rd FJR. I’m too tall for a typical sport bike so the FJR works for me just fine.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
255 Posts
I feel your pain. Nothing but farms here too. I'll go out of my way to get to the GS Parkway just so I can speed up for exit/entrance ramps. That's sad. Where are you located? I'm in Vineland and there's another FJRer in Mays Landing that we keep saying we have to hook up for a ride.

I bought my FJR because as I got older I found I'd rather ride to good roads and out of state friends than trailer. I'm 64 BTW and had my share of sport bikes and track days.
I’m in Hamilton, near Trenton. Funny, Mays Landing is right next to the other Hamilton.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300A
19 Posts
It does appear to be an "old man's bike" based on how many of us old men (I'm only 51) ride them. But look at it this way, we're the riders with the most experience, wisdom, and money. We buy the bike that's the most fun while requiring the least sacrifice. The FJR just makes more sense to riders who know their stuff.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts