FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Avons

I have used three sets of Avons and liked them. I did however find that some of the rear tires require quite a bit of weight to get them balanced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reaper, I have used Avon, Bridgstone and Pirelli and I prefere the Pirelli. Turn-in is quicker and made the bike feel lighter. High speed stabillity is good as is the wet performance. I liked the OEM Bridgstones but nothing special. The Avons made my bike wobble. Head shake was never cured even with all the tweeking by some smart fellows at the race shop! Avon sent me new tires to try and even that did not cure it. Changed to the new Pirelli and all is good. Tire wear so far is looking good and I would say is on par with the rest I have used. I am pretty easy on tires as I am relativley light (150 wet) and have worked on throttle control and my body/bike position at the race track to keep things smoooooooth which translates to better tire mileage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
REAPER said:
Has anyone used Avons and prefer something else?
In the spring I put Avons on after the mass love in on another board. After 7,000km I had to decide if I would leave them on for a trip or swap them out. The Avon rear was wearing noticably and I did not think it would get to 14-15,000km.

I opted to replace them with Pilot Roads. I got over 15,000km on them so far (rear is done) and am satisfied with the handling on slab & twisties/dry and wet. I'll put the old Avons on in the spring for hopefully a few more months wear but I think when I go for new, it won't be Avons but Pilot Roads.

I nabbed this article off the French FJR Board which list the recent Motorwereld magazine (Belgium) preferences for sporttour tires:
1) Metzeler Roadtec6 - 7,88/10 - Le meilleur pneu sport/tour avec l'avantage qu'il est livrable pour motos de<240 kg et >240 kg
(The best sport tourer and has advantage of catering to bikes < 240kg or >240kg)
2) Pirelli Diablo Strada - 7,83/10 - de la même usine que le Mez6, même carcasse mais un peu plus lourd à l'avant
(from same factory as Metz, same carcasse but a bit heavier in front)
3) Dunlop D 220 ST Sportmax - 7,55/10 - pneu spécialement développé pour la XJR1300 mais adapté plus tard pour plusieurs motos dans la classe sport/tour
(tire specially developed for the XJR but later adapted for many othe rtypes of sport/sporttourers)
4) Bridgestone BT020 NT - 7,16/10 - pneu un peu plus dur pour beaucoup de km. mais pose qq problèmes en accélération par temps sec et humide
(harder compound tire for more milage but shows probs when accelerating both in wet and dry conditions)
5) Michelin Pilot Road - 7,11/10 - Le gagnant de 2002 et 2003 avec toujours les mêmes qualités mais les autres sont devenus mieux
(winner of the 2002 & 03 tests with same qualities but others have overtaken it since)
6) Continental Conti-Road-Attack - 7,05/10 - Nouveau pneu, très bon par temps sec mais pose des problèmes en accélérant en deuxième vitesse par temps humide
(new tire very good in the dry but problems during acceleration in 2nd gear in the wet)
7)Avon Azzaro - 6,38/10 - manque d'adhérence par temps humide
(lacked grip in the wet)
Conclusion: Le Mez6 est le premier avec un petit avantage sur le Pirelli de la même maison. Dunlop mérite la troisième place et Bridgestone et Michelin restent des bons pneus mais sont dépassés par les autres
(Metz 6 is first with a small advantage over the Perilli from the same factory. Dunlop merits 3rd place. Bridgestone & Michlin are good tires but overtaken by the first 3)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Fierre, good info on the Pilots which I have not tried, I have heard they take a while to warm up, before they have the stick.
As far as the article posted en bleu, je n'est ce pas.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hello fellow FJians,

I have read above and find myself saying the same stuff again.....

Bridgestone BT054's..........

everything that was mentioned about the Avons, Michies and BT020's has been build into the BT054's (that is my opinion). I have managed to convert a few of the lacal guys here in Adelaide who now too only run the 54's. The good things about this tire far outway the bad.
* excellent wear qualities!!!
* good wet weather qualities!!!
* excellent handeling!!!!!
* cheap!!!!!!!!!
* reliable!!!!
* I have never experienced handle bar shake or vibration!!!!!!
and did I mention they are cheap (compared to the rest)

I have never used Avons....but I will never try either....Bridgestone BT054's for me thanks.

I was wondering if other people have used the 54's? :?:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts