FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've tried to find answers to my question in the archives/past threads, so please be gentle with a newbee if I've missed something obvious!

Having ridden 900 Diversions for the last 7-8 years, I've raided the Piggy Bank and am buying an '02 FJR (private sale) with just over 14,500 mls. on the clock, so I ask what are the things I should look for/check/ask about etc. etc. on an FJR of that age/mlge?

Thanks in advance for letting me pick your collective brains and maybe I'll even meet some of you in the future?

Regards

David
St Albans

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tieman,

There's a name I haven't seen for a while! Welcome on board the FJR site...

I had a 900 Divvy (and subscribed to the Dutch Diversion owners site)until 2 years ago when I bought my FJR.

As far as the technical stuff is concerned - I wouldn't listen to what I have to say. Thankfully (he said touching the biggest piece of wood he could find) I have had no problems other than with the battery - but there are some guys out there who would tell you to watch out for the dreaded "tick" - try a search on that.

Best regards,

Iain (based in Moffat)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Service history, at correct mileages?
check mileages against that, average per year
check old MOT certs (if any) - check mileages against those
check rear caliper - it's underslung so prone to corrosion if not looked after
check shock absorber for any leakage - expensive to replace
check front forks on centre stand - side to side for any notchiness, back/forth for any play.
Buy the bugger - you won't regret the FJR......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses so far and please keep them coming! but always, there are more questions than answers, so can someone please help me with the following?

I've looked up the "ticking" question but what actually is it? and what does it go onto/cause? does it come hand in hand with smoking? If it's present, is it obvious for a non mechanic like me to hear/spot? If heard I presume I should just walk away from buying the bike?

Not having had a bike with an electric fan before, is it on all the time? or does it just come on as required like a modern car's fan?

Are there any big service jobs/items that should have been done by 14k mls?

Thanks again in advance for all words of wisdom.

David

·
Registered
558 Posts
Millage seems about right, The fan comes on as required, and the ticking apparently is audible, so if it looks right, sounds right and the price is right.....go for it..
More important is ... what colour is it ... Black ones are slower.. :wink:

·
Registered
728 Posts
sherlock said:
The fan comes on as required
Incorrect. The fan comes on in the queues for peaje in Spain in the month of August when it is NOT required. :ale: The sensation is akin to having a hairdryer on hot full on in the face. I hate it so much that I make sure I spend some time EVERY August queuing at Peajes.

Lots of us come from Divvy background. In fact my daughter's still got one and I have a go on it now and again. Good fun.

Don't worry about the bad news stories. I've run 3 in so far and now my third is at the 16k mark, it is starting to sound 'looser' and more chattery.

Would recommend BT 020s if it's not already got them.

Get it. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sherlock

Do I hear the sound of my chain being gently pulled by the telling of an urban myth or by some curious twist of the laws of relativity are black FJR's slower?

David
(Who's buying guess what colour of FJR?)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Here is a link to FJRForum, on the first post there are links to the ticking sound bytes. These will show you what the ticking sound is like - tapping metal knives on a stainless steel sink.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=2873

It's premature valve guide wear that has happened on a number of FJRs around the world, which Yamaha supposed to have fixed on the 2003 bikes with new valve guides. However, it is still happening on later bikes. BUT, a very big BUT, the percentage of bikes that became affected was quite small. Don't worry about it if you can't hear it whilst running in the 1000 to 2500 rpm range whilst standing still. If you hear it most definite, the tick will go away whilst revving the bike above that level. The repair is expensive. But saying all that, this is a warning only, NOT to put you off buying this damn good stonking machine that will rocket you through the twisties and mile munch at your leisure.

My previous notes tell me that oil deposits on the O2 sensor is a give-away, or slight blue smoke being evident.

The "major" service was at 12000 miles, including lubricating the stearing bearings and shock relay arm bearings. The 24k service will be the most expensive due to the valve shim clearances needing checking.

Make sure it's not a French import, they are restricted on bhp.

The silver ones have always been the fastest.......... :lol:

·
Super Moderator
3,980 Posts
One thing to check for is to see if they have a folder that documents all their maintence items, farkles, etc. This folder should at least contain all receipts for routine maintenance but it's better if it includes a log of maintenance items, farkles, services, etc. with the receipts for date of purchase as well as date and mileage when the service was done or the farkle installed.

If an owner does this sort of folder, then (s)he will also typically have been consciencious about required services and other things that raise your level of confidence that the bike is in good shape.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The average mileage for a tick to start is around 8thou I would take it for a good hard ride to loosen up the motor a bit and listen, also it's easy to quieten the tick for a while by adjusting the cam chain tensioner so check if the bolt heads for marks to check if they have been removed.

But not many Fjr's suffered this problem in the UK. But mine was one of them. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts