FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on a decision. I have been a Vmax owner for some time and of course have no complaints. So, long story short I am thinking about purchasing a FJR. Can't keep them both though so it will have to be one or the other. My question is, with all the improvements I can not decide whether to pick up a nice clean new or used 05 or lay down the extra and wait for an 06. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
If I lived in Louisiana, I'd hope the new 2006's heat management was a sucess, and wait for that model.

A Vmax is a treat, but an FJR has so many more dimensions.

:)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the previous models that bad with heat? I can't see it any worse than an open V-4 under your family jewels. I had read so different posts about the heat. I just can't see it being any worse than I have now.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I know what you mean. But the 'weather protection' behind the fairing keeps the heat with you as you move on current FJRs. (nice for me, 3 seasons of the year) IIRC, when you leave the stoplight on the max, you leave a lot of the heat there.

From what I hear about your part of the country, a hot bike in Missouri is a bit less of an issue than a hot bike in LooozyAnna. ;)

A big claim of the '06 is to have addressed the heat.

:)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
There's a new V-max coming out with 180hp it was reveiled the at Japan Bike show last month, so if you are into them you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
IMhO as a former ('03) FJR owner who is now waiting(and waiting...) for his new '06 A, tbd supposedly in March I would say not much comparison between the two bikes. While I found the 1 V-max I rode to be mildly entertaining in a straight line its lack of any wind protection, cramped (I'm 6'2") riding position and so-so handling left me without the desire to open my wallet.

My '03 was an excellent overall high speed backroad burner...except in the 70s she was very warm to ride and in the 80s-HOT, no matter the speed. For a sport TOURING bike that became unacceptable to me. I sure hope that Yaamehaha's claims for the new '06 are valid, if so methinks this bike might stick around my "toy room" for quite a while; unlike my expensive 6K miles and 8 months with the '03. DFO :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
RudyT said:
My question is, with all the improvements I can not decide whether to pick up a nice clean new or used 05 or lay down the extra and wait for an 06. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
I have a '05 FJR A and have really enjoyed it....no complaints at all. With that said...I just ordered an '06 because of the linked braking and ABS and repositionig of the rear pegs for my SO. We will see in March if the '06 is any better. :wink:

I drove a VMAX for 13 years and enjoyed the thrill of acceleration and sound of the exhaust but it doesn't turn or stop like an FJR ...in my opinion there is no comparrison. The VMAX is a good bar runner. :roll:

http://ednortonsr.com/index3.htm

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I really didn't think about the fairing actually retaining the heat while in motion. I am impressed how Yamaha has (supposedly) responded to customer issues with the FJR. It seems as though they are listening. Only time will tell. I am leaning to order and wait for the 06 if I decide to make the switch.

It's hard to let go of a V-max though. There just isn't anything quite like it. The two bikes have completely different purposes. I get more comments from people on my V-max than I ever did on any of my sport bikes in the past. But I would never ever call a V-max "mildly entertaining". :lol:

I have seen all the photos on the new one in work. If Yamaha brings out a new V-max with the impact that it had in 1985, Lord help us all. :twisted:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
arkninjazx9 said:
"The VMAX is a good bar runner"

you been ridin with us ?

I mean WE DONT DRINK...

damnit ....too late.... :roll:
I wasn't going to say anything. The mental picture would make a mother cry.

·
Registered
234 Posts
FJR vs V-max?

Depends on how far and how comfortable you want to be.
The V-max is a brut. But, its got no fuel range, and saddle bags, or fairing.
The FJR has all of the above.
Depends on which tool will fill your needs.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly. I find myself wanting the things that the FJR has, however even now I grin ear to ear every single time I twist the V-Max throttle hard. I realize that the FJR is faster than a V-max but it's just different. V-max owners know what I am talking about.

I can see that what ever decision I make I fear that I am going to miss the other in some way. Damn, if only I could afford to have both. Well, truthfully I can but it's the spouse repercussions that are far more reaching than a financial issue. Have to be fair. :roll:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got an email back from a Yamaha dealer out of town. Quoted me 11,995.00 for a 06 FJR1300A. I emailed him back to be sure he didn't quote me a last years price and he assured me that it was correct. Looks like I may be taking a road trip to make a deposit next weekend.

·
Super Moderator
3,959 Posts
RudyT said:
Are the previous models that bad with heat?
Simple answer? No.

Longer answer: I've ridden my (us) 2003 in temps up to 118° F. Is it hot then? Sure! But *all* bikes are hot then. In typical summer temps of 90 to mid 100's (where I live) I ride it all summer long. It's actually less hot than my 1983 GL1100 Gold Wing or 1984 GL1200 Wing before I installed Wind Wings on it. Those I know say that the Kaw Concours is just as hot or hotter in the summer than the FJR.

Trying to compare the summer heat of a faired bike to that of an unfaired bike will always have the unfaired bike as seeming "cooler". To try and lay that completely at the feet of the Feejer is a little too narrowly focused.

Bottom line is that when it's hot outside *all* bikes are hot (that's why they're not automobiles). There are things you can do any of those bikes (including the FJR) to mitigate the air management of the OEM design. They are typically easy and inexpensive to impliment.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bounce said:
RudyT said:
Bottom line is that when it's hot outside *all* bikes are hot (that's why they're not automobiles). There are things you can do any of those bikes (including the FJR) to mitigate the air management of the OEM design. They are typically easy and inexpensive to impliment.
I really wasn't trying to compare the open bike to an FJR in the heat issue. More looking if the heat comments are worth waiting and paying for an 06 instead of an 05. It looks like I am going to go for the 06 at this point. THanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Rudy, I live in Southaven, MS (Memphis), and I don't have a heat problem with my '04. The only problem I've had with the bike (that I didn't cause) was, it keeps getting speeding tickets. I look away for just a second, and there’s a peace officer giving my FJR another ticket. I've tried locking the it up for the weekend, but it just drags me out and gets another ticket. I don't know what to do about this! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
RudyT.....It is only 500 miles to Cullman, Al, where you can get the FJR1300A for $11,499. I ordered one last week and will have to ride it 2500 miles to get home. I am looking forward to it, though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lloydmarie said:
RudyT.....It is only 500 miles to Cullman, Al, where you can get the FJR1300A for $11,499. I ordered one last week and will have to ride it 2500 miles to get home. I am looking forward to it, though.
I hate to say it but a dealership about 30 minutes north offered one up for $500 more. Better than anyone here in this military town would do. If the customer service is good then it is worth $500 to me. THought I would never say that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts