FJR Owners Forum banner

What Octane

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LSUBOY 
#1 ·
Gotta a mag named ROAD RUNNER/motorcycle cruising & touring. And, I think you folks ought to check it out; However, the Feb. issue has a write up on Octane / how high to use.

The answer can be found in the last paragraph: "The higher octane rating of gasoline, the more detonation inhibitor compounds it contains. Most of these compounds have a lower heat content - combustion energy - than the alkanes in the fuel they displace. So, in most cases, the higher the octane, the lower the combustion energy. Not only are you wasting money buying higher octane fuel, in most cases you'll be getting marginally inferior performance too".

Bottom line - stick to the manufacturer's recommendation!

#2 ·
hey there Lsu., thanks for that...I've been trying to convince the high octane users on this and other sites for years that they were simply wasting their money when it comes to low(er) compression engines (like the FJR's)...but, for some reason, the high octane myth and it's adherents, continue like religion. Some just don`t get it.... :!:

#4 ·
shuswaper said:
hey there Lsu., thanks for that...I've been trying to convince the high octane users on this and other sites for years that they were simply wasting their money when it comes to low(er) compression engines (like the FJR's)...but, for some reason, the high octane myth and it's adherents, continue like religion. Some just don`t get it.... :!:[/quote

Read it again last night and it said that: Formula 1 has often been the proving ground for new ideas. And, around 1966 FRANK DUCKWORTH {the "worth" in Cosworth} designed a new four valve cylinder head with a shallow combustion chamber ......which became the basic blueprint for ALL modern high-performance four stroke engine design".

All of these developments allowed the use of higher compression ratios without detonation by improving combustion efficiency, so that now a modern high-performance sportbike with 12:1 compression can run comfortably on 87 octane gas.

What I cannot understand is "why the engineers at HD have not designed their bikes to run on 87 octane"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.