FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Didn't you guys always wanted to do what Dick Tracy did some 50-60yrs ago?

...well now is your chance, the technology is now available, and it's fun (to at least try) :) ...I love my tech, including my Galaxy watch 4 classic...some of the latest tech's like smart-home integration are so convenient and useful. It's a common misconception that "new tech is in control of our lives", especially among Luddite's (learned a new word today)

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Funny thing is that a lot of folks who have computer careers have no interest at all in doing tech support on their doorbell in their spare time ;) But if it makes you happy then do it.
I sit in front of computers all day. I'm a System Engineer for the FAA. I test and install hardware and software for the nation's air traffic control system. I dabble in RADAR and communications currently. I will surf the net at night because I'm not a TV guy.

Some tech is not always convenient. If I'm pulling in my driveway I find it easier to press a button on the garage door opener mounted near the bars than to stop, pull out the phone, bring up an app, go thru the menus and then tap a button. But that's just old school me.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
507 Posts
Opening the garage door has to be done without having to stop or use devices that you may or may not have handy. Therefore, it has to be a bike-mounted solution for me. I have now had my garage door opener mounted beneath a panel for years - connected to a small button. I love it - and it's very discreet.

Reactions: RaYzerman

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Some tech is not always convenient. If I'm pulling in my driveway I find it easier to press a button on the garage door opener mounted near the bars than to stop, pull out the phone, bring up an app, go thru the menus and then tap a button. But that's just old school me.
True, not everything is "always more convenient (and better)" and for some people it will take longer to adopt "new tech", as people age there are some other limiting factors (beside: Fear of making mistakes and wider concerns about their social responsibility) that come into play, vision for example, shaky hands, loss of coordination, loss of hearing etc...i.e. smartwatch screens are very tinny and may be very hard and cumbersome for older folks.

back to garage door, I usually stop on my driveway, get off my bike, take off my panniers (due to limited room in the garage) so since I have my phone in my pocket, I use the phone to open the garage, little remotes are Ok too, not waterproof so you have to keep them in dry space, and the button batteries may die, and sometimes hard to find.

Speaking of giving up the old tech, last week I finally decommissioned my old Fax machine and cancelled my Landline (y)

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
507 Posts
** if you have enough room in the garage to ride-in...I have to take the panniers off first :rolleyes: ...too many toys
Ah yes - I do have room to slide in next to the car. I don't use my panniers very often, which makes it easier.

Reactions: Damir

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Speaking of giving up the old tech, last week I finally decommissioned my old Fax machine and cancelled my Landline (y)
Dude! Did that years ago, WTF took you so long?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Governments, always behind the times. I work on projects that are supposed to be cutting edge. By the time budgetting, planning, red tape and execution are done it's obsolete.

We joke around at work that our motto is... "We're from the government. And we're not happy... until YOU'RE not happy." LOL

• Haha

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Mortgage companies were still requesting faxes a couple years ago. We always have a multifunction color laser printer so it was never an issue. But when I reupped the cable this year I finally dumped the voip landline that my conference phone and the fax were on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
On my phone, I can control the thermostat, the garage door, the sprinkler system, and the TV‘s in all the rooms. Am I tech happy? eh.. Phone apps can be a PIA. There are times when pushing a button is much simpler, other times I’m not in a position to use the button and just pull out my phone. I do like having the option but find the direct button is much simpler and easier to use. Tech can get silly.

I do love using my phone to turn on a sprinkler zone while I am adjusting the sprinklers though or if I am chilled on the way home I can turn on the heat and bump it up a bit so the house is extra warm by the time I walk in the door. There are times when that ability is golden.

With that said, the key FOB for my garage door is on my bike key ring. I can’t count how many times with the keys in my pocket I have ended up pushing the damn sensitive button on the remote accidentally. Then I gotta get them out, hit the button to stop it, hit the button again to put it back. Several times this winter below freezing I’m working on the bike, got the garage all heated nicely and the STUPID button gets accidentally pushed and half my heated air in the garage goes bye bye before I can get it closed again. I swore I was going to try to make that button less sensitive but have yet to figure out how lol

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Or a piece of velcro to the inside of your glove box lid, lol.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
My Velcro is on the tree to hold the remote when the key is in the ignition.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts