FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It's 2022, why bother with various garage door openers and red buttons (that are not waterproof anyway), just use the MyQ App on your smartphone, just a touch of the screen to open or close. (plus you can open and close your garage door from anywhere in the world, I.e. for Amazon delivery, and it will notify you if you leave the door open when you go to work...and then when you get to work pull out your phone and close your garage door at home...how cool is that...if you have cameras you can watch the garage door close in real time)
Azure Font Material property Circle Logo

2) Or setup your MyQ to automatically open and close the door, When you leave or arrive home, an intelligent geofence recognizes your vehicle's location and automatically opens or closes your garage door.

3) Or You can use MyQ with Google Assistant. You can connect MyQ to Google Assistant and close the garage door or check the status of it! Simply say, 'OK Google, ask MyQ to close the garage door,' and it will!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Didn't you guys always wanted to do what Dick Tracy did some 50-60yrs ago?

...well now is your chance, the technology is now available, and it's fun (to at least try) :) ...I love my tech, including my Galaxy watch 4 classic...some of the latest tech's like smart-home integration are so convenient and useful. It's a common misconception that "new tech is in control of our lives", especially among Luddite's (learned a new word today)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Some tech is not always convenient. If I'm pulling in my driveway I find it easier to press a button on the garage door opener mounted near the bars than to stop, pull out the phone, bring up an app, go thru the menus and then tap a button. But that's just old school me.
True, not everything is "always more convenient (and better)" and for some people it will take longer to adopt "new tech", as people age there are some other limiting factors (beside: Fear of making mistakes and wider concerns about their social responsibility) that come into play, vision for example, shaky hands, loss of coordination, loss of hearing etc...i.e. smartwatch screens are very tinny and may be very hard and cumbersome for older folks.

back to garage door, I usually stop on my driveway, get off my bike, take off my panniers (due to limited room in the garage) so since I have my phone in my pocket, I use the phone to open the garage, little remotes are Ok too, not waterproof so you have to keep them in dry space, and the button batteries may die, and sometimes hard to find.

Speaking of giving up the old tech, last week I finally decommissioned my old Fax machine and cancelled my Landline (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts