FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how much passenger weight the FJR will carry.

With me at 270#, I'll likely need a slender wife for any double-rides. That may be a problem. I looked at the Yamaha specs and saw nothing about this.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
gr8eyes said:
I can't remember off the top of my head but I want to say its in the 450 lb range. I do know alot of members thought that a bit too conservative and carried more weight but I don't remember the correct figure to be honest.Glenn
I think Glenn is close. Regardless, I would definitely still recommend a slender wife. Your own preferably.

·
Registered
721 Posts
owners manual says 201 Kg for non ABS 194 for ABS. Approx 442lb (427lb ABS)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well the SWMBO (wife)(not slender) and I total 465 lb in the buff. So add all the clothing and the luggage and we probably top 500 when fully loaded for tours. Suspension does begin to feel a bit sloppy, but so far no real problems. Only problem of note is the lack of fore and aft space for the two of us, with the top box on, also the front end baggage (mine) gets crushed on hard braking.

Brian :roll:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I'm sure wifey and I had the bike WAYYY overloaded on our trips. We ain't small, and somehow our saddlebags felt heavier than 50-pound bags of HorseChow... and aside from accelerated tire wear, the bike didn't complain a bit. (with all the gear and luggage, and tank bag... I'd estimate we had over 500 pounds on the bike.)

I either had a shock spacer in, or the Wilber's shock with stiffer front fork springs for most of our rides on both FJRs.

:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Answer to the weight problem

I am biking to Crete this year and my brother decided he wanted to come along. As he can no longer ride due to side effects of diabetes and we each weigh in at 200lbs I said it was no go :cry: as us plus luggage and camping gear etc well exceeded Yamahas recommendation.

So we went to Watsonian Squire in Gloucetershire had a tow bar fitted (silver to match the silver of the 01 Blue bike) and bought a D18 trailer in blue to match the bike which can carry 210lbs of luggage (or my brother if he gets on my nerves) and we leave in June for four weeks of biking fun! :lol: [/b][/u]

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I had my shock made so to take a max of 300kg that’s the wife & I with all the luggage that’s possible to load which still has a bit of adjustment as I get larger.

Also get the remote preloader which will bring the head lights back down to where they should be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all..

I suspected as much.

It looks like I'll be solo riding my new FJR.
The two of us would be way over the load limit.

Sigh... :(

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Re: Thanks all..

beachside39 said:
I suspected as much.

It looks like I'll be solo riding my new FJR.
The two of us would be way over the load limit.

Sigh... :(
Some onwers have fitted a spring tensioner to there OEM shock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buy two

I solved my problem by ordering TWO FJR1300's.
That way we both can enjoy the handling of this fine machine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts