FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been looking around, and gotten a couple recommendations from local motorcycle enthusiats for Russell, to make long rides more enjoyable. I'd appreciate any comparative comments, especially.

If the answer is Rusell (or other), any recommendations on the material (vinyle, leather, velour?) I would tend towards leather, except velour is supposed to have better breathability. (I live in southern Arizona, so heat is a factor)...

Thanks in advance,
Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seat

I think I can help with this as I have had a few. Started with stock- not very good.
Bought Sargent- It was much better than stock and allowed me a much better riding day. It is more butt shaped rather than flat with edges curved down like stock so there is more support area. Also Sargent makes there own seat pan with cool storage areas

Bought Rick mayer seat and it was also better than stock and I would rate very similiar to Sarhent for comfort factor.

Just bought Russel from another FJR rider and it is hands down the best seat I have ever had. I now have no problem riding from tank to tank without stopping. I would have bought the leather if I would have bopught direct from Russel but the one I have is vinyl. I also have the rider backrest which is very nice feature.

Those dents in seat are because my helmet was on it they go away after a few minutes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: russel seat

mehaffydr said:
Yes this is the very best seat I have ever owened.
This seat looks real nice and comfy for going in a straight line. Would it be correct to say that it would not be very conducive to shifting your weight (butt cheeks) around when taking corners?
Are there any special mods involved in fitting this seat on, i.e. can you easily slap the stock one on when planning on a more sporty ride?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It does slow down your shifting of the but a little but I have not had it long enough to really test it. It is actually built on the stock seat pan so it snaps on and off just like stock. If you want to keep your stock seat ou will have to buy a spare because they do use your seat pan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! It is really making an expesive decision a much better informed one. Looks like the answer is Russell.

Ok, a quick related question. Russell seems to want to get your existing seat pan. But I'd rather not have the original destroyed in case I have to resell the bik at some point. Is there any reasonablly inexpensive way to get a spare extra seat?

or alternately, I realize that Russell seats are custom built, but how different are they really, if I find one second hand. Would someone with a similar build provide a 90% solution? (I've looked on eBay and haven't seen any for sale, though)...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I should have mentioned, it's a 2006, which I think probably introduced a new seat design (to accomodate the seat adjustments)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts