FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 FJR Blue Beauty, 2014 FJR Hot Red Head, +++
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be shipping an engine. Would like to avoid taking it out of its frame until shipping time. Does anyone know the engine weight / shipping dimensions?

Are their other shippers who are better for this shipment than UPS/DHL/FedEx?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
Sorry, I do not know the exact weight, but it's a good 200 lbs...... I advise getting a helper.

Reactions: TooManyBikes

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I do not know the exact weight, but it's a good 200 lbs...... I advise getting a helper.
Thanks Ray! Your insight helps, since UPS/DHL/FedEx all have a 150 pound max weight. Wonder how eBayers ship their engines?

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
Thanks Ray! Your insight helps, since UPS/DHL/FedEx all have a 150 pound max weight. Wonder how eBayers ship their engines?
FedEx freight will do more weight. In general you need to be looking at freight companies and be willing to drop off and pick up at the freight terminal or you will pay a ton for lift gate truck pickup. Forward air used to be a good way to ship heavy stuff back when I was shipping a lot of jeep parts.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,070 Posts
TooManyBikes,

FedEx (or any package-delivery service) is gonna devastate your wallet, and maybe your budget. Truck shippers do this work for a living, at surprisingly affordable costs. Most truck shippers will give you reasonable levels of insurance, as in, no extra charge. Some will offer door-to-door service, making you wonder why anybody would even consider a package-delivery wallet reamer.

Usually, the cheapest shipping option is terminal-to-terminal shipping, where the seller takes the crate to the truck terminal at their end, and you pick it up from the truck terminal at your end. Some shippers even offer door-to-door service for no extra charge, or maybe a small extra charge. That said, the shipping rates from one carrier to the next can vary WILDLY, maybe US$120 at one trucking company, and US$ 430 at the terminal next door. That is because one shipper already has your route for frequent customers, and some other shippers will be making a special trip. The same applies to shipping times (or delays). If a truck goes your way often, service will be quick. If they want to fill up a truck before it goes, you may wait a while. In all cases, ask about prices, insurance, delivery, and shipping times. Request updates on any surprises; these are reasonable people.

In all cases, you will want to drain the engine oil completely, and secure the engine with bolts into a beefy wooden cradle. Bolt the cradle into a crate, or build a solid crate around the cradled engine. Bolt the cradle solidly into the crate itself; no level of packing peanuts will do the job of protecting the engine. Cover the engine inside the crate with plastic sheeting. Mark the crate ^ This End Up ^ in all the right places. A large pallet will not be helpful, usually, but ask the shipper anyway. Make some provisions on the bottom of the crate for getting forklift forks under the crate; ask the shipper for suggestions. You may be able to bolt (or strap) the crate to a small pallet directly.

Reactions: TooManyBikes

·
Registered
475 Posts
If shipping time is flexible you could also look into bike shippers. It's possible they'd give a decent rate if they have a trailer going in your direction and they could squeeze the engine into a corner. I've also seen threads over on ADV with people looking or offering transports on occasion.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FedEx (or any package-delivery service) ...
Thanks, Red, you are a master at this! And most helpful too!!

If shipping time is flexible ..
You too, Big O. BTW, the interested buyer for my engine is near you. NC must have some great FJR country.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
TooManyBikes,

FedEx (or any package-delivery service) is gonna devastate your wallet, and maybe your budget.
FedEx freight is just another freight shipper, associated in name with the trucks swarming your neighborhood but not really the same system. Most of the commercial exercise equipment that my wife buys comes that way. Same price range as any other LTL freight company.

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
222 Posts
I don't think the engine weighs more than 150 lbs. When I installed mine, I was able to pick it up by myself with relative ease. Granted, I only picked it up several inches to get it on the ATV lift, but it was doable.
I drove 3 hrs one way instead of having the guy try and mail it over. When I bought it, I brought two old motorcycle tires (a std 17" tire and a 12" scooter tire inside the other). The engine cradled itself nicely in there and didn't move the whole drive home.
Boxing up one of those things would be a feat.... good luck and show us pics of how you do it if you do.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300A
19 Posts
I had some thoughts on simplifying packing/crating. If anyone knows that my idea is bad, please say so because I'm just brainstorming. But how about finding or building a sturdy wood box that's just big enough to allow 2 - 3 inches clearance on all sides of the engine and lining the bottom with a few layers of styrofoam insulation panels, then wrapping the engine tightly in a heavy plastic bag and placing it down into the box, or closing the box sides around it, then filling the box around the engine with spray-in expanding foam insulation? You could fill it with enough that it bulges above the top edges of the box and when it's dried hard you can shave it flat with a hand saw or something of that nature and fasten the lid down tight on top of it. I feel like that would work great for something smaller and lighter, like a complete throttle body or gas tank, but I welcome opinions about whether an engine is too big and heavy for this method.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
I think you are working too hard. When I used to ship transmissions that weighed 150-200lbs, I would take a piece of thick plywood and add a couple 4x4's to the bottom of it - needs to be wide enough so that they can actually get forks or a pallet jack between them (27? inches?). You don't want to force them to use a 2 wheel dolly. This is the crate bottom. Then take whatever you are shipping and figure out which way you want it to sit/lay. If you need to pad the part on the bottom of crate then toss something down. Then I would just tie it down with a new but cheap ratchet strap around the object and plywood (not over the 4x4's - the other direction). Then just build a lighter weight sides/top or just shrink wrap the object. For a MC engine I would build the box just so nothing important gets bumped into.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I'd nix the spray foam idea. Even tho' the engine is wrapped in plastic, when that stuff expands it's going to force it's way into every nook and cranny. The buyer may have a tough time with that.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,084 Posts
I'd go with what OldJeep says, maybe put a plastic bag with spray foam under the engine just to hold it stable.... the engine is fairly square and will sit OK...... then ratchet strap it down....
If shipping by truck, I'd build a box around it, with a lid.... those LTL guys may stack it on top of another skid or put something on top of it...... CYA.

This is the 2014 engine I put into my '06 project FJR...... I brought this home in the back of my truck, so minimal 'packaging' was required. We slid it on at the salvage yard since my tailgate height matched their loading dock height.......... honestly can't remember what I did, but had one ratchet strap to keep it from rolling around..... as for the weight, it is definitely more than 150 lbs.... I used my hydraulic dirt bike lift, got it high enough to slide it off the truck and onto it..... no way I could lift it.

Motor vehicle Office supplies Office equipment Gas Automotive design

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Machine

·
Registered
14 Posts
maybe 220#s dry. spend some good time building a wooden crate and bolt the engine down. I've had good luck with FedEx, but Orange freight or similar works just as well. They're all comparable in price. Pickup & delivery is what counts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts