FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Which Grade Petrol do you use?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The great petrol debate gets a poll.

CLICKY CLICK FOR THE PETROL THREAD!

RON is the EU rating system

MON is the US rating system

The conversions are approximate and good enough for polling purposes, so pedants please relax your fingers and orifi.

I promise we'll do the oil one next! :crylarf:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I need any help finding any of my Orifix I now know exactly which pedant to call... :twisted:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I thought it was that pasty stuff you use to stick your teeth in your head when they come out of the glass next to the sink. Ooops, Orafix.

·
Registered
405 Posts
A second thought: in the US, I have seen RON85 available only in the darkest reaches of the southwest. TX, OK. I have never seen it available anywhere on the east or west coasts. May account for its lack of users on this continent.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I voted 95 but I do occaisionally use 98 if I feel the bike needs a treat :eek: or after the winter lay-up :oops:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Octane

Yamaha specifies 87 octane. Using a higher octane is generally of no value. Using a particular octane may have value for special circumstances, but by and large, the engine compression ratio and other factors were designed for the specified octane. My friend is a master mechanic and has explained this to me in detail. If I can translate that in to human terms I'll post it here.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Octane

tfruth said:
Yamaha specifies 87 octane. Using a higher octane is generally of no value.
I initially marched to the beat of this drum myself, but I began noticing a lot of metallic clatter when I'd accelerate hard from low RPM. Started using premium and the noise ceased. FWIW, I noticed the same exact thing on an 1800 Gold Wing. Not sure what fuel grade Honda recommends.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts