FJR Owners Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your FJR Today?

559K views 4K replies 572 participants last post by  JoelTheMole 
#1 · (Edited)
I changed windscreens from a Cal Sci Sport tinted shorty to a Cee Bailey plus 2 tinted reverse flip.

Big difference in quality.

The Cal Sci had very rough edges, looked like it was cut with a hack saw and not finished or polished.
The Cee Bailey had a much better finish with the edges polished nicely.

Went for a ride today and I like it!!

Wind protection for me is better than the Cal Sci especially with the screen up all the way.

#3,630 ·
Wife told me that iffens I need crash bars that I do not need to ride a bike. This comes from a fading red head that rides a Can Am and wants me to buy hers so she can get a new one. Hers is a 2020 so how much newer does she need ......
I have a 2015 FJR-A only because in 2016 they were on sale for $10,500 so I tried one. Glad I got it as it seems to be a nice ride. I put a Corbin and 1 inch riser blocks so rode it that way for a few years. Got me a Laam seat that was just sent back because I fibbed to Laam on seating position but did not know I fibbed. Recently I changed from the 1 inch risers to a Helibar plate that moves the bars back about an inch and could not believe how much difference it made in the comfy department. When the Laam seat returns I will do crash bars which I have not done yet because I have Garauld highway pegs and the cages mean those have to go.
The 2015 FJR is my 1st FJR and I kinda like this bike especially on trips. Not sorry I bought it but makes me feel like an old man on a cruiser but then of course I am getting kinda old so I guess the bike and I kinda go good together. :cool:

#3,631 ·
Not my FJR but a buddy's '16...... replaced missing parts, new oil pump chain and sprocket, re-installed clutch and water pump.... then proceded to check valve clearances, found 2 intakes at minimum, others were pretty much nominal.... changed the two shims. Had another job, so it will get valve cover, etc. put on later.

#3,633 ·
R-Gaza crash bars came in for the wrong year bike. Nothing is ever easy.
Those bars are supposed to fit 2006 - 2022. What doesn't line up?

#3,635 ·
What doesn't fit about the luggage gueards?

#3,641 ·
Got it all packed for an overnighter camping with old ZRX friends in PA. this weekend. Problem is now there is a 50% chance of rain. I don't mind riding in the rain for 200 miles but tenting it sucks if the place is a mud pit. I've got waterproof gear and tent but still...

#3,650 ·
Thank you for using real straps to secure the load! I don't trust bungie cords at all.

YMMV

Reactions: DesertBike
#3,652 ·
Took a leisurely ride, about 265 miles, across hilly northern NC. Found a completely paved mountain pass I'd never been on.

#3,654 ·
It was Friday but I flushed the clutch fluid. It was nasty. I didn't think I would ever get it blead. Must have been a small blockage is the only thing I can think of. I actually had to use the vacuum bleeder.

Rode 365 miles to the beach for a Shrimp Burger and back yesterday to put some miles on the new to me 2013. We rode her hard on the way back trying to avoid this big black cloud that was following us. Hit rain 3-4 times during the trip but nothing major. She performed exemplary of course.

Time to start getting the bike on my maintenance schedule. Oil is next, radiator flush and probably do the brakes again this fall/winter. (I'm told it was done and the fluid looks good)

Is there a way to adjust length of travel for the back brake? or should I try to bleed it again? It just seems to have more travel than I'm used to.

#3,656 ·
the new to me 2013.

Is there a way to adjust length of travel for the back brake? or should I try to bleed it again? It just seems to have more travel than I'm used to.
I'm finding the same thing. The rear pedal on my '13 is softer and has significantly more travel then my '07. Using Ray's so;ution, rear brake bleeding will need to be done 3 or 4 times per yr. I've decided to rotate the pedal up 1 spline and live with it.

#3,655 ·
Yes, bleed that clutch and brakes annually to keep them trouble-free..... if you have excess travel, I'd re-bleed.... front right first, then rear.

#3,660 ·
Must be a NC and 2013 FJR thang, as my rear pedal travel and feel has always been less than desirable. But works for me how and when I use it.

Went to adjust the latch on the Smuggler this weekend, to find the PO must have stripped the small allen head bolts. So will have to Dremel a slot and try to get them out.
Was getting fuel and some dude yells over "how's that beemer ride ?".... Told him "no idea but this Yamaha rides awesome !!". As far as I know, he's still standing there looking confused.

#3,661 ·
Went on a ride with my wife and saw a vet with one arm riding. The wife captured and tried to honor the gentleman.

Much respect!!

This is by far the coolest thing I've seen on a motorcycle

#3,662 ·
I can't imagine trying to pilot a motorcycle with one arm! Amazing!

Reactions: DesertBike
#3,663 ·
I added these chrome covers on the Beowulf exhausts on both sides to keep my boots from melting on the exhaust pipes:

Cobra 2" diameter Chrome heat shields, purchased from:

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

YIKES, I just noticed the screw on the floor in front of the back tire, I guess I need to fetch it before I ride over it getting out of the garage! :rolleyes: