FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1941 - 1960 of 1994 Posts

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
I don't know of any repair kit available, Russ. You maybe can remove the piston, carefully clean up any debris/inspect for nicks/damage on the seal, reinstall the piston.... as you would with a brake caliper, just no replacement seal available.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,063 Posts
It doesn't leak at all once I warm up the engine so I'm good for now. The aforementioned replacement was shipped today so I'll disassemble the leaker when it gets here. No hurry, pretty crappy weather this week.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,063 Posts
Replaced the clutch slave cyl, cleaned out the fluid reservoir, filled & bled. No leaks yet! Also did a quick clean-N-lube of the clutch lever & bushing.

The leaking part of the cyl is nothing more than a piston seal, typical shape of every hydraulic piston seal. I could see no visible reason for my clutch fluid leak there. There's no markings or type numbers on it so without a little inside info it my be impossible to get just a compatible seal.
IMG_20210322_161355274.jpg
IMG_20210322_161421961.jpg

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
On the fastest RED color (2014), put on a new license plate tab so that I am legal again, removed front and rear tires and had new Michelin Road 5's mounted and balanced, inspected the brake pads, removed the ECU and sent it off to IVAN to be flashed properly. While the ECU is away, I have many other farkles to install. To be continued...

Reactions: Hogman63

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300
24 Posts
Gave her a BIG hug, put some 91 octane and rode her gently for 300 miles along the coast, all while whispering sweet nothings between exhaust notes as she ate up the miles......

Of course this was after I parked her in the Ducati parking lot and test rode a 2021 Diavel. Surprised she even cranked when I got back! Women are so jealous sometimes......

Seriously though, wasn't impressed with the Duc....other than GINORMOUS horsepower, clutchless shifting, lean angles that I thought were only for moto gp, digital dash and a few others, I just didn't like the feel of the ride. It just wasn't smooth. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sent my seat to Seth and will be waiting patiently for his call to customize it. Says it most likely will be June which is fine as I have the Comfort Seat now. The CS is ok but like the look of Laam seats and with any luck he can customize it to help alleviate some middle spine pain I get after awhile. Heli did not help much. Probably something that I have to live with and not why I am upgrading. Getting older sucks but will never give in! Considered a RDL but can not afford any additional height with a 30 inseam. If it all works out I will be selling the comfort. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Replaced the clutch slave cyl, cleaned out the fluid reservoir, filled & bled. No leaks yet! Also did a quick clean-N-lube of the clutch lever & bushing.

The leaking part of the cyl is nothing more than a piston seal, typical shape of every hydraulic piston seal. I could see no visible reason for my clutch fluid leak there. There's no markings or type numbers on it so without a little inside info it my be impossible to get just a compatible seal.
View attachment 77755
View attachment 77756
You can just buy the rebuild kit for $17
All Balls Clutch Slave Cylinder Kit 18-6036 for Yamaha FJR1300 2003-2016 - Total Power Parts

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
48 Posts
Sent my seat to Seth and will be waiting patiently for his call to customize it. Says it most likely will be June which is fine as I have the Comfort Seat now. The CS is ok but like the look of Laam seats and with any luck he can customize it to help alleviate some middle spine pain I get after awhile. Heli did not help much. Probably something that I have to live with and not why I am upgrading. Getting older sucks but will never give in! Considered a RDL but can not afford any additional height with a 30 inseam. If it all works out I will be selling the comfort. Patience is a virtue.
Nice! Follow up with a how you like it when it comes back. Thinkin on going that way myself.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmm, the AB site doesn't show that under the FJR parts page or by part number search...
18-6036 - No such Part No. is available

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hmm, the AB site doesn't show that under the FJR parts page or by part number search...
18-6036 - No such Part No. is available
Yeah, maybe a part they don't sell any more? Searching by part number, I find it on a few mc parts sites..

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah, maybe a part they don't sell any more? Searching by part number, I find it on a few mc parts sites..
Is cool, just would need to make sure XXX company actually had on the shelf them, eh?

·
Registered
69 Posts
As of today, I finished swapping the spark plugs (switch to iridium), replaced the CCT, did an oil change, mounted and hooked up the phone holder/charger, the heated grips are now installed and powered, rear turn brake/turn module installed, adjustable flasher relay, adjustable brake light strobe module, alarm w/ immobilizer, auxiliary batter and a battery isolator relay, run/turn LED body lights, Venoxy whiteface gauges w/ BT RGB back lighting, did the Barbarian mod and bumped all the trims up 5 points, and I'm almost finished with the front/rear DVR (drive recorder).

The only thing on my list of Farkling & repair to not get done this time around was the speedo HUD, which I may not need now with the new gauges. Once I put some plastic back on and button up the DVR install my little Feejer will be ready to roll. All ready fired her up and she purrs like a kitten now, can't wait to feel how she rides (just gotta finish resetting the suspension back to normal).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The only thing on my list of Farkling & repair to not get done this time around was the speedo HUD, which I may not need now with the new gauges. Once I put some plastic back on and button up the DVR install my little Feejer will be ready to roll. All ready fired her up and she purrs like a kitten now, can't wait to feel how she rides (just gotta finish resetting the suspension back to normal).
Metalo,

You should know, never shut down the FJR from cold, after a brief start. That mistake will leave the fuel system ready to flood the engine, and it will be so hard to start, it will make you think that something needs to be repaired. To avoid all that grief, just run the engine to be fully warmed up, every time you start it.

I would recommend just one farkle, with or without any others: a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The valve-cap TPMS will work very well, or you can put sensors inside the rims, if you prefer. If a tire gets low on pressure, or high in temperature, the TPMS should sound off with an alarm, and flash the display. Make make sure that you can read the display in full daylight, as well. Set the TPMS alarm levels to the values you want them to have.

Reactions: Metalo

·
Registered
69 Posts
Metalo,

You should know, never shut down the FJR from cold, after a brief start. That mistake will leave the fuel system ready to flood the engine, and it will be so hard to start, it will make you think that something needs to be repaired. To avoid all that grief, just run the engine to be fully warmed up, every time you start it.

I would recommend just one farkle, with or without any others: a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The valve-cap TPMS will work very well, or you can put sensors inside the rims, if you prefer. If a tire gets low on pressure, or high in temperature, the TPMS should sound off with an alarm, and flash the display. Make make sure that you can read the display in full daylight, as well. Set the TPMS alarm levels to the values you want them to have.
Metalo,

Isn't the 4banger fuel injected? 12 years as a mechanic and I've never heard of such a thing on a EFI engine, seen it on old carb engines though. I normally do though let it run till it warms up, or at least until the RPMs come down to normal(ish) cause it's just never good to cold stop an engine. cold stopping an engine prevents proper lubrication of the cylinders, repeatedly doing cold stops can cause premature wear of the cylinder walls and piston rings. I've been thinking about TPMS but never had much faith in those valve-cap type systems (over many years as a mechanic I've seen many of them cause more leaks than solve), but I do kinda want one.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
The cold start problem is a feature of many FI bikes, yep let them warm up to at least until the fast idle disappears.
There are some TPMS threads here, T-stems and I've used a few different systems, they never leaked. Think about it, if they do, they will tell you, LOL.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The cold start problem is a feature of many FI bikes, yep let them warm up to at least until the fast idle disappears.
There are some TPMS threads here, T-stems and I've used a few different systems, they never leaked. Think about it, if they do, they will tell you, LOL.
Very interesting (the cold start flooding thing).
Edit: So after looking into it I see now why it is. The EFI systems of motorcycles is very crude compared to a car's system. The ECU has very few inputs and very little processing power with no real learning capabilities. So, when you cycle the key it just dumps a big squirt into the runners in preparation of a "start" command. That plus a poor fuel map, would cause the engine to flood if repeatedly cold started in a short period of time. Still, I would think that cylinder scoring is a far worse thing to worry about. It's relatively easy to clear a flooded engine, not so easy to repair damaged piston rings or cylinder walls.

LOL:
TPMS system: Hey! Hey! You've got a flat tire!
Rider: [email protected] it, again? Why does this tire keep going flat?
TPMS system: 🙄

1941 - 1960 of 1994 Posts