·
Registered
1,498 Posts

not bad in 29 months considering it shares miles with 2 other bikes

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
98 Posts
Changed the oil and washed the bikes...stored a in heated garage for the winter. Time to start planning/reviewing maintenance, farkling and 2021 ride plans. Fingers crossed we will truly be rounding the corner on this covid mess and be able to ride anywhere next summer without restriction!

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
The weather is still decent, today was gorgeous but cooler than it has been. I'm going for a spin tomorrow again supposed to be 10C and sunny.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I rode it last Sunday and now on the lift for take apart and grease everything

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wilbers?

Which one did you install and what are your thoughts?

Do you recommend to others?
Was there a noticeable difference between the stock and the Wilbers?
How much did the shock cost you?
Did you get new front end springs?

People would like to know, Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Adjusted the valves and changed the spark plugs on my new to me FJR. It's a 2014 and just did it's first adjustment at 86k miles (had oddball factory shim sizes). Pretty sure the spark plugs were the original plugs as well, gap had grown to .058". Surprised it started as well as it did.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Installed my flashed ECU from Ivan's Performance Products and took it out for a test ride. All I can say is, WOW. The difference is night and day. For those of you that have a Gen II (especially the early ones) and are on the fence about whether to do this, all I have to say is that this completely changed the way that the bike rides. The jerkiness from laying off the throttle and getting back on it is completely gone. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Installed my flashed ECU from Ivan's Performance Products and took it out for a test ride. All I can say is, WOW. The difference is night and day. For those of you that have a Gen II (especially the early ones) and are on the fence about whether to do this, all I have to say is that this completely changed the way that the bike rides. The jerkiness from laying off the throttle and getting back on it is completely gone. Awesome!
As I mentioned before, if I had my '07 back, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat....

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wilbers

Wilbers.

Yamaha's factory springs are too soft, so the forks sink under the weight of the motorcycle. When braking, the problem is even more obvious. When you release the brake there is a rapid rebound, so it is difficult to keep the direction, and the motorcycle is constantly dangerously forced out of a bend. To some extent, the forks can be adjusted, which does not make sense with worn-out material. With the installation of Wilbers progressive springs, this problem is solved. The feel, position on the road, controlled dive, the improved grip and the comfort while driving is amazing. Closing the handlebars, skidding on a poor road and stalking has been eliminated.

Yamaha's standard shock absorber is too soft for the average driver. On a bad road, motorcycle bounces in corners, squats when accelerating, and under the weight of luggage and passenger simply can no longer absorb the bumps. With the settings, it's very limited and I didn't gain anything from it, just lost on comfort.

The Wilbers 641 shock absorber (hydraulically adjustable spring preload is a must have because you can't reach the nut with a wrench) has improved riding in all aspects. The motorcycle is basically taller as it doesn't sinkt under its own weight. Perfectly dampens bumps on the road, it is just right hard and soft. Therefore, the ride is comfortable and effortless. The feel, position, feedback and control in any situation is worth the money invested.

I highly recommend upgrading the suspension. I paid 650 € for the shock absorber, and 180 € for springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Removed my battery and will replace with new one sitting on shelf. (The original was almost 7yrs old and still working fine).
Seeing what a PITA to remove battery and remove ECU for a trip south, the new one will go in when my birthday present to me returns.

Side note: the right fairing does not have to be removed but well loosened up in strategic areas. The bolt Ivan show does not have to be removed if the battery is out.

I can’t WAIT to finally be rid of the fuel cut!!
Hope I’m not sorry. Review in the spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I contacted Gary/ Garauld and ordered his highway peg kit and Rivco pegs for my FJR. Unfortunately, the mighty beast is put away for the winter and this mod will have to wait until spring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just installed a Shorai lithium battery and some bark busters. Love both. Also was a bad boy and ordered a penske rear shock.
Cant wait for that to be built. Im hoping i stall is straight forward. Any tips guys?

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Bad boy for wanting a Penske? Not at all, you'll love it.
Straightforward install...... remove old including lever control. Install new Penske, if you have a remote, find the hose routing that works and place to mount the remote.
Worst is accessing the upper shock bolt on the ABS pump side. May have to remove a clip to move hoses over so you can get a short 17mm socket on the head of the bolt. Hint, don't tap the bolt all the way out, but almost, so the spacer doesn't drop out, just enough to drop the old shock down.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Installed ecu after finally getting back from Ivan.
NOT his fault. Took 3 weeks to get there by post and 3days back by fedex. His deal with fedex only cost 15.00 more than post office.
Installed.. it starts , and exhaust note is noticeable smoother at idle.
One wierd thing, cooling fans would not come on , on initial idle warm up. Thermostat opened leveled out , and temp up to 110C when I shut it off. Still no fans.
Started digging back in to check fuses.
Turned key back on before testing fuses but cover open. Lol.
Fans run now.
Ran several cycles and all operating as it should. Not really sure what went on there but seems good now.
Review in spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
You will find that Ivan set the fans to come on at a bit lower temperature as well.

1901 - 1916 of 1916 Posts